The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

Haye v Bellew 2

Yawn zzzzzzz zzzzzzzz

Chances are that a fit haye beats Bellew. Thats makes it 1-1 and guarantees a 3rd fight. 

Edited by av1

On 29/09/2017 at 10:19, KHV said:

Looks like Wilder vs Ortiz may be off due to Ortiz failing a drugs test

Ffs Ortiz really wanted to see this fight. Guess he should fight whyte now. Easy fight for wilder but wilder for me is not a proper champ like joshua as he has has avoided all the big guns.

As for haye vs bellew think haye will step up his game now as he seriously underestimated bellew. Cant see him doing that again. 

Wilder has had 38 professional fights and his best opponent is Bermaine Stiverne, who in heavyweight terms is nothing more than a manlet. I feel a bit sorry for him because twice now he has attempted to fight 'legit' opponents and twice they have fallen foul to positive drug tests (Povetkin and now Ortiz), but I can't see how he can go 38 pro fights and not fight anyone good, ridiculous.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

To be honest I do want to see the rematch purely because I think Haye entered the first fight with a late niggle which blew up in the fight. If he's injury free this time I want to see if he still has a bit left in him. 

Regarding the trash talk, I can't see how Haye can do it without embarrassing himself i.e. if he goes down the I hate Tony Bellew route, it will be an embarrassment given how much he was grovelling at Tony's mercy after the first fight. Equally if he goes down the I was injured route, people won't take him seriously again given the Klitschko fiasco. 

It's just an awful fight, David Haye if not shot to pieces is at least over the hill and was never a particularly good heavyweight in the first place. Tony Bellew was a below average light heavyweight and an average at best cruiserweight who would get utterly destroyed by an genuine top 7 cruiser out there right now. How this was PPV in the first place is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's just an awful fight, 

Awful fight yes, but one that makes perfect sence for both of them. Bellew would get knocked out by any half decent heavyweight and Haye wouldn't even get a shot at a decent heavyweight so it the only fight that makes financial sence. 

Haye has got the most to lose here. Lose again and his career is over. If he wins, its 1-1 and there will certainly be a decider. Its win win for Bellew. 

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wilder has had 38 professional fights and his best opponent is Bermaine Stiverne, who in heavyweight terms is nothing more than a manlet. I feel a bit sorry for him because twice now he has attempted to fight 'legit' opponents and twice they have fallen foul to positive drug tests (Povetkin and now Ortiz), but I can't see how he can go 38 pro fights and not fight anyone good, ridiculous.

How the hell did he avoid klitschko for all that time and all the other decent heavyweights out there.

joshua has a better record than wilder and had half the fights

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How the hell did he avoid klitschko for all that time and all the other decent heavyweights out there.

joshua has a better record than wilder and had half the fights

With Wilder there's an element of him getting 'on the job training' . He started boxing in 2005, won an Olympic Bronze Medal in 2008 and then immediately turned pro. He basically had only three years as an amateur, which is nothing. Joshua on the other had at least 6 years as an amateur before turning pro. So obviously Joshua had a hell of a lot more in the way of amateur fights and development time. That makes Wilder's 38 pro fights somewhat deceptive.

In terms of Wilder 'avoiding' Klitschko, that is purely down to sanctioning bodies. Wilder won the WBC title by beating Stiverne on points. Wladimir has had very little to do with the WBC over his career, at a couple of points he held one of its interim titles but never the full title. This is largely due to the fact that Vitali won the title after Lennox Lewis vacated it, and he then won it again after his return from injury in a fight with Sam Peter. Vitali then held this title until he retired. It was then Stiverne who won in it in a 'vacant title' fight against Chris Arreola and then Wilder beat Stiverne shortly thereafter. So the point I'm trying to make is that Wlad wasn't exactly on the radar, I don't really think it was a case of Wilder ducking because he was never scheduled to fight him, in fact Wlad was never in the mix in terms of his WBC belt.

• Like 1

Bellew said on A league of their own he made 20x more money in his fight with Haye than he did in his previous fight at Goodison park to win the WBC title.

So, yeah he'll be cashing in as many fights as he can with Haye before he retires.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Bellew said on A league of their own he made 20x more money in his fight with Haye than he did in his previous fight at Goodison park to win the WBC title.

So, yeah he'll be cashing in as many fights as he can with Haye before he retires.

I saw that, and he came across as a complete tool. I don't think I've ever seen someone so humourless on television before. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I saw that, and he came across as a complete tool. I don't think I've ever seen someone so humourless on television before. 

Not sure tbh, he did all the games when other sportsmen like AJ and Dele Alli make excuses not to be involved in. He got thrown to the ground by his neck by that martial arts guy. 

7 hours ago, West said:

Eubank jnr just cleaned up his undefeated opponent. Pretty savage display. Jnr v Groves would make a very good British scrap. 

Yildirim was tailor made for Jr, anyone who stands back and fights behind their jab will give Jr a helluva lot of problems.

He did look pretty savage but I don't think you can take a lot from that fight, Yildirim was basically a version of AA who threw more punches but didn't have half the chin or defense.

If he fights Groves and gets him into the later rounds then Groves will have to dig deep because we have seen him gas a few times and that is when Jr's punch volume could cause him problems but I think that there is a very good chance that Groves beats him up pretty badly before it gets to that point

3 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Yildirim was tailor made for Jr, anyone who stands back and fights behind their jab will give Jr a helluva lot of problems.

He did look pretty savage but I don't think you can take a lot from that fight, Yildirim was basically a version of AA who threw more punches but didn't have half the chin or defense.

If he fights Groves and gets him into the later rounds then Groves will have to dig deep because we have seen him gas a few times and that is when Jr's punch volume could cause him problems but I think that there is a very good chance that Groves beats him up pretty badly before it gets to that point

Agreed the Turk was tailor made and someone who is more elusive will be difficult for Eubank jnr. But I think he is definitely an improved fighter in the sense that he is picking his shots better. Also I don't think I've seen a fighter throw more punches per round, his conditioning is second to none. 

Â