The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Genie said:

He's potentially unstoppable already.

I don't know about that. Klitschko is at fault for not putting him away IMO. It was a massive let-off for Joshua. 

• Like 3

Well done @anthonyfjoshua good fight, you had life & death with @klitschko & I played with the guy, let's dance

Fury on twitter. 

All the commentators saying AJ answered a lot of questions. I think tonight raises as many questions as it answers. 

6 minutes ago, JB said:

I don't know about that. Klitschko is at fault for not putting him away IMO. It was a massive let-off for Joshua. 

The fight highlighted a lot of flaws. Clearly he's a physical animal with lots of power, he overpowered Wlad in the end, but it's all too high risk, he was gassing by round 4, you can't just step on the gas at this weight and expect it to work all time. Wlad himself was tired but also in his jab and grab comfort zone, I think he was caught by surprise in round 11. 

Joshua's footwork is fairly basic and he seems to be lacking in the strategy department, I can imagine someone like Fury dancing around him and popping him with his jab all night, but you can't rule out Joshua with his power. Other than that the heavyweight division really does suck so if he beats Fury I can't see anyone currently out there who can beat him, Wilder may have a puncher's chance but that's it. Wlad maybe too beat up to realistically do this again. If Usyk moves to heavyweight he offers something unique but is probably too small.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think AJ did incredibly well after what was a let off in the 6th. Kept out of trouble for a couple of rounds and recharged the batteries. 

Has to be said, Mr experience messed this up by not getting the job done when AJ was a wobbling mess.

Yeah, there's seems to be a lot more 'names' around in the heavyweight division than there has been for years it's just that none of them are really that good. Joshua's power and athleticism giving him the edge. 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The fight highlighted a lot of flaws. Clearly he's a physical animal with lots of power, he overpowered Wlad in the end, but it's all too high risk, he was gassing by round 4, you can't just step on the gas at this weight and expect it to work all time. Wlad himself was tired but also in his jab and grab comfort zone, I think he was caught by surprise in round 11. 

Joshua's footwork is fairly basic and he seems to be lacking in the strategy department, I can imagine someone like Fury dancing around him and popping him with his jab all night, but you can't rule out Joshua with his power. Other than that the heavyweight division really does suck so if he beats Fury I can't see anyone currently out there who can beat him, Wilder may have a puncher's chance but that's it. Wlad maybe too beat up to realistically do this again. If Usyk moves to heavyweight he offers something unique but is probably too small.

But then you also have to consider how relatively early in his professional career Joshua is fighting somebody as good as Klitschko.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Risso said:

But then you also have to consider how relatively early in his professional career Joshua is fighting somebody as good as Klitschko.

Perhaps but then outside of Fury I really don't think he has to worry about anyone, the division is that bad.

Listened to it on 5live but have caught the main highlights since off twitter.

Superb result for AJ, took some punishment but kept going and found enough in reserve to finish the job in the 11th. 

That upper cut that started it was simply stunning. 

Hats off to klitchko too who, for a 41yr old looked lively and could've walked away with a win tonight with no complaints. 

His after fight interview showed what a class act he is. 

Finally a heavyweight title fight that lived up to its promise.

Only downside for me was seeing smugness personified, Eddie hearn looking smarmy as if it was all down to him. Cannot stand him. 

Edited by theboyangel

WHAT A FIGHT! 

I have never been so wrong at every point.

I didn't think it would live up to the hype at all.

After the first 4 rounds thought it was going to be Klitschko's night.

Then AJ comes out like a rocket and looks like he's finished it, only to gas so hard he could barely stand up and fail to follow up the kd. 

Then AJ goes down and is walking around the ring like me after 8 pints for he next 4 rounds, surely Klitschko will finish him.

Nope he steps off seemingly looking for a points win, only for AJ to come from nowhere with an incredible uppercut and gets another kd. 

But he's gonna be gassed again I'm saying he's gone for it too early in the round, bang another kd.

Ref asks wlad for his gloves, wlad says ok and drops hands and steps sideways, surely the refs gonna stop it the guys not even there.

Nope carry on, and AJ continues the onslaught and gets the job done.

What a epic fight. First off hats off to wlad he showed courage and fight. At 41 years ok'd has to go down as one of the best heavyweights in history.

as for Joshua this experience will make him a much better fighter. He got knocked down soldiered if snd then rested up for a few rounds not going in too crayzy waited for wlad to tire then bang explosive power and youth. Excellent tactics from Joshua in my opinion. I was surprised he called out fury ahead of wilder. Maybe he thinks he isn't ready for wilder yet?

i think fury will cause Joshua a lot of problems. I'd like to see fury fight wilder tbh next. Bellew is clearly after a pay day, he gas absolutely no chance against wilder. He will get humiliated 

Â