The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Was hoping for a heel turn where he lays out Eddie Hearn.

Joshua is a marketing dream and I don't enjoy his PC persona that is obviously coached.

Great fight, Klitschko had him and had he pressed him in the 6th it was probably game over. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Was hoping for a heel turn where he lays out Eddie Hearn.

Joshua is a marketing dream and I don't enjoy his PC persona that is obviously coached.

Great fight, Klitschko had him and had he pressed him in the 6th it was probably game over. 

It's proper cringe. 

I'd agree Dr P that the Fury that beat Vlad would beat Joshua however it remains to be seen whether that Fury still exists so it would carry the same intrigue as the fight last night and undoubtedly sell out Wembley again. 

It was a wonderful fight my mate who's a huge boxing nut is convinced it was a fix. I'll have a little more faith and enjoy the moment when the hype finally paid off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's proper cringe. 

There's nothing wrong with a guy trying to portray himself in good light and be a proper ambassador for the sport. There are enough guys who do the trash talking.

I wonder if Ukrainians bad mouth Klitschko for being a nice guy outside the ring...

Edited by West
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, West said:

There's nothing wrong with a guy trying to portray himself in good light and be a proper ambassador for the sport. There are enough guys who do the trash talking.

I wonder if Ukrainians bad mouth Klitschko for being a nice guy outside the ring...

I agree with this.

I think both fighters deserve credit for how they handled the intense build up - all respectful, no childish trash talk and they allowed the boxing to do the talking.

I can't stand the likes of Fury, Haye, Bellew et al who make Boxing more akin to wrestling with gimmicky press conferences and then generally dish up poor fights that don't match the hype generated.

• Like 1

Agree about AJ's persona, that and the respect between the two fighters leading up to the fight has been far more engaging that seeing Haye etc doing a piss poor Tyson impression. The chip on the shoulder shtick is far more cringe.

I met AJ briefly and he was a genuinely relaxed and nice bloke, and it wasn't in a setting where he was in PR mode.

• Like 1

Wow just wow what an awesome fight. Both fighters gave everything and could've gone either way.

I was surprised by AJ fitness, after his flurry of big hits in the 5th he was blowing out his arse and really struggled for a few rounds. You'd think he'd have trained for that (not saying he hadn't trained), but just he'd be more able to cope (obviouslybits not everyday you thenbhave those massive hits from WK).

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wow just wow what an awesome fight. Both fighters gave everything and could've gone either way.

I was surprised by AJ fitness, after his flurry of big hits in the 5th he was blowing out his arse and really struggled for a few rounds. You'd think he'd have trained for that (not saying he hadn't trained), but just he'd be more able to cope (obviouslybits not everyday you thenbhave those massive hits from WK).

Given how muscle bound he is it's not all too surprising, it's poor and he may have to trade off some of that mass in order to improve his cardio. Genuinely thought we had a higher level version of David Price on our hands at the end of round 5. Credit to him for digging deep late on to really drive that stoppage but I think someone like Fury has seen the blueprint to beat him last night. 

There's limits to how well you correct an issue like that but it certainly can be done, not necessarily just physical conditioning but a change of style. Those ultra powerful and explosive bursts Joshua does are energy sapping at this weight, doing less of that and working behind a jab can help correct that, something, ironically, Wladimir switched to doing having had similar issues when he was younger. 

It would seem it was also a great night for Joe Parker who finds himself in possession of a belt that's a little more valuable than it was a couple of days ago - he's on the pathway for anyone that wants a fight with Joshua and as of midnight last night fights with Joshua are where all the money is in heavyweight boxing. 

28 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Those ultra powerful and explosive bursts Joshua does are energy sapping at this weight, doing less of that and working behind a jab can help correct that, something, ironically, Wladimir switched to doing having had similar issues when he was younger. 

As an aside to this, you have to be impressed with the condition that Wlad was in for this fight, he'd clearly worked incredibly hard to get into impressive shape and he was still dancing in the 9th and 10th round - which for a 41 year old guy that's 6'6" and 17 and a half stone is some going. I think it's also a compliment to Joshua that Wlad took this one very seriously indeed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As an aside to this, you have to be impressed with the condition that Wlad was in for this fight, he'd clearly worked incredibly hard to get into impressive shape and he was still dancing in the 9th and 10th round - which for a 41 year old guy that's 6'6" and 17 and a half stone is some going. I think it's also a compliment to Joshua that Wlad took this one very seriously indeed.

I agree apart from the last sentence, I don't think it's ever been the case that Wlad has not taken a fight seriously, he's a real competitor and consummate pro, always in great shape. But as you say, it's really impressive for a 41 year old to be in this sort of shape, he's a real credit to the sport.

As an aside to your aside, I think this shows how well Fury did. I said many a time that Wlad's performance against Fury was down to Fury's style, movement and tactics, rather than old age, last night proved that. 

Does AJ really need all that muscle mass

He's powerful enough as it is, if i were him i'd be back in the gym asap working on footwork and head movement

He will need it against Wilder/Parker

Edited by AshVilla

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Does AJ really need all that muscle mass

He's powerful enough as it is, if i were him i'd be back in the gym asap working on footwork and head movement

He will need it against Wilder/Parker

Forget them foolz, he will need it when he steps into the ring with Tony the mother **** Bomber Bellew...that's if AJ isn't terrified of him and decides to duck him

Edited by leemond2008

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Wlad is a proper gentleman and I have a lot of respect for him. 

He likes you too but prefers your missus ;)

Â