The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Age is just a number for Joe. I've been singing his praises for a while. He also earnt me a few quid with the Dubois destruction. This kid is a danger to anyone in the division, hence,  no - one was ever calling him out.

That's the problem for Joyce, he's to dangerous to fight and he's not box office , high risk, low return. 

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

That's the problem for Joyce, he's to dangerous to fight and he's not box office , high risk, low return. 

Not box office? the man is pure charisma, have you heard him talk? he makes Tyson Fury seem like James Milner, he really was blessed with the gift of the gab, I love his interviews, pure motivation.

The Science of Sarcasm? Yeah, Right | Science| Smithsonian Magazine

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Remember Dubois took a lot of flak when he lost to Joyce. What’s transpired since and with the benefit of hindsight has shown us - that was never ever a 50/50 fight going in. Joyce was already world level. 

It was 80/20 in the mind of Dubois. That's why he took the flak. I knew Joyce would stop him, as did many others in the know.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

It was 80/20 in the mind of Dubois. That's why he took the flak. I knew Joyce would stop him, as did many others in the know.

Yeah the hype around Dubois was unreal at the time. Not from his own doing - he’s very quiet and unassuming.. Joyce was such an elite amateur also. Was in with the best in the vests. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Joyce's early fight with Usyk. Usyk is a great fighter but my guess is he will avoid Joyce as he's to much of risk especially now he's a heavier fighter. 

https://youtu.be/zuASpmqoJVM

I agree. I thought he gave Usyk more trouble than anyone who I've seen share a ring with the Ukrainian. 

Joyce hasn't been afraid to call Usyk out either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Yeah the hype around Dubois was unreal at the time. Not from his own doing - he’s very quiet and unassuming.. Joyce was such an elite amateur also. Was in with the best in the vests. 

Dubois will have his time, why he was matched with Joyce at his stage of development was questionable at the time and turned out to be nearly career ending with what happened to his cheek bone and then all the shit he took for "quitting", unbelievable. 

If you can’t stop a man with talent it’s dangerous, I could see him walking down any heavyweight in the division taking a few on the chin to do so before he lands his bombs. Such a hurtful jab as well. As stated this is the reason he is avoided like the plague 

Fury isn't fighting Joyce anytime soon as it's very little reward and big risk, even if Joshua doesn't take the fight. Plus, Joyce became mando for the WBO last night and a date with Usyk looms next year once the undisputed has taken place. My guess is Joyce will be waiting a while yet before getting a shot at Fury, Usyk or a title. At least 12-18 months. He's going to have to be patient under Warren and keep himself busy. Maybe and Ortiz or Ruiz fight stateside would be a good test for him to keep him ticking over. And then Wilder, I'd like to see that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Fury isn't fighting Joyce anytime soon as it's very little reward and big risk, even if Joshua doesn't take the fight. Plus, Joyce became mando for the WBO last night and a date with Usyk looms next year once the undisputed has taken place. My guess is Joyce will be waiting a while yet before getting a shot at Fury, Usyk or a title. At least 12-18 months. He's going to have to be patient under Warren and keep himself busy. Maybe and Ortiz or Ruiz fight stateside would be a good test for him to keep him ticking over. And then Wilder, I'd like to see that. 

Would like to see him against Ruiz, be a great fight and would gain him some momentum stateside. 

17 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Usyk has said he wants three more fights, one with Fury, one apparently with Canelo Alvarez and another to keep himself in shape - Joyce might work for that.

I don't think there's any risk for Fury in Joyce, I think he walks him around for the evening and barely gets touched.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Usyk has said he wants three more fights, one with Fury, one apparently with Canelo Alvarez and another to keep himself in shape - Joyce might work for that.

I don't think there's any risk for Fury in Joyce, I think he walks him around for the evening and barely gets touched.

I think Joyce could give Fury or anyone enough bother tbh. He may well be slow and ponderous but Parker isn't and still Joyce got to grips with him quickly. No doubt Fury is different gravy but Joyce is a problem for the HW division. As for Usyk fighting Canelo, neither would be able to make that. I mean if Canelo can't touch Bivol then any idea of meeting Usyk at catchweight is ridiculous. Canelo isn't taking that fight.

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I think Joyce could give Fury or anyone enough bother tbh. He may well be slow and ponderous but Parker isn't and still Joyce got to grips with him quickly. No doubt Fury is different gravy but Joyce is a problem for the HW division

I think he's aa tier below the top guys - Wilder takes him easy, Fury would play with him.

As for Usyk fighting Canelo, neither would be able to make that. I mean if Canelo can't touch Bivol then any idea of meeting Usyk at catchweight is ridiculous. Canelo isn't taking that fight.

It's a ridiculous idea I know, but apparently they're both keen and it'll bring in the money.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think he's aa tier below the top guys - Wilder takes him easy, Fury would play with him.

He may well be but so is Wilder imo. There are two top guys and they currently hold the belts. Wilder was always a hype job and only has a big punch, very little skill or technique. And as Fury proved, he is a terrible fighter when going backwards, something Joyce could exploit with his pressure and jab. Tbh I couldn't care less though. I find HW fights boring for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a ridiculous idea I know, but apparently they're both keen and it'll bring in the money.

I'm not so sure about that. Anyone with half a braincell knows at LHW Canelo doesn't have any attributes to worry Usyk. It would be cold watered straight away as an exhibition fight in the eyes of the boxing community. I just don't see it. but never say never I suppose.

I think Ortiz i s a good fight for Joyce, Joshua would be ideal, I think Wilder takes him, I just don't think he has the movement to stay away from him.

Usyk is in a strange place - there's really only Fury that's interesting for him and I think Fury beats him - so if he's after three fights he'll want Fury last. Canelo makes sense as a profitable spectacle, but beyond that, there's not much out there for him. I guess he could try Wilder, but Wilder is always a risk.

What do you reckon in a Ruiz Jr vs Joyce fight?

Â