The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Being in a room full of scousers really pisses me off too. I'm not surprised he got wound up. The sound of Tony Bellew's voice alone is enough to wind me up

They were idiots though, you could hardly hear anyone talking. It was like being at secondary school.

Bellew has no chance imo and it looks like the bookies agree with me.

Haye looked like a monster on the scales he may struggle to last the 12 rounds but i can't see this fight going more than six. 

Even if Bellew runs away he's going to get caught.

The undercard is a bit shit other than the Paulie/Eggington fight which interests me Matthews has no chance against Davies

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Any fight with knoober Eddie Hearn as the promoter is not gonna be pretty, always acting involved. Although as someone has already said Bellew has enough to rattle the sweetest of characters. has he any other fans other than the scousers an Eddie Hearn

I'm not a huge fan of Haye, but cannot wait for him to do the job on Bellew, even a quick 1st round knock out will be good. Bellew already knows if he gets caught by a Haye maker he will be out cold, I doubt Bellew has enough to knock him out, would have to go close to 12 rounds to be anywhere near to beating Haye I would expect.

Just read if Bellew beats Haye, Hearn reckons Joshua will be next. Ha ha ha, would just love to see that one.

Hearn really is in a win win situation here.

It's a cash out fight for Bellew he's reached his peak and won't get a bigger purse and even if he loses it doesn't affect his cruiserweight title.

If Haye wins he gets a mega fight against Joshua,

Hearn makes a shit load of money as usual in the process.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Bellew has no chance imo and it looks like the bookies agree with me.

Haye looked like a monster on the scales he may struggle to last the 12 rounds but i can't see this fight going more than six. 

Even if Bellew runs away he's going to get caught.

The undercard is a bit shit other than the Paulie/Eggington fight which interests me Matthews has no chance against Davies

Bellew basically has to spend the first 8 or so rounds running and exploit David Haye's significantly declined footspeed (which has been evident from his recent bum fights). Another thing Bellew can exploit is Haye's recent preference for the left hook. He has never really been a good hooker, but under Shane McGuigan has been working on and throwing this punch a lot more. Now it has a lot of power behind but it is very wide, Bellew does throw a very nice short left hook, so he'd probably want to hook with Haye and beat him to the punch.

But this is all been very charitable to Bellew. He is by no means a defensive mastermind and doesn't have the offence from range to permanently stay on his bike and pepper Haye from range and prolong the fight. Haye will go in there with the mentality of blasting him out in the first half of the fight and that's what will happen.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Hearn really is in a win win situation here.

It's a cash out fight for Bellew he's reached his peak and won't get a bigger purse and even if he loses it doesn't affect his cruiserweight title.

If Haye wins he gets a mega fight against Joshua,

Hearn makes a shit load of money as usual in the process.

And boxing fans are happy because they get to see exciting fights. 

50 minutes ago, West said:

And boxing fans are happy because they get to see exciting fights. 

It's a fight with no merit and the undercard is hardly stacked, no way is it PPV worthy. Definitely one I will stream (if I can be arsed) for free rather than pay for, £15 odd is obviously nothing to me but it's the principle. 

In general the PPV model does absolutely nothing good for boxing, all it serves to do is make the sport even more niche and significantly reduce it's reach. Sky have been cancerous to pretty much every single sport it has been involved in.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's a fight with no merit and the undercard is hardly stacked, no way is it PPV worthy. Definitely one I will stream (if I can be arsed) for free rather than pay for, £15 odd is obviously nothing to me but it's the principle. 

In general the PPV model does absolutely nothing good for boxing, all it serves to do is make the sport even more niche and significantly reduce it's reach. Sky have been cancerous to pretty much every single sport it has been involved in.

The undercard is poor but an all British main event with the hype that it has come with is always going to be PPV these days.  Unfortunately it's a business model that is here to stay.

Edited by West

10 minutes ago, West said:

The undercard is poor but an all British main event with the hype that it has come with is always going to be PPV these days.  Unfortunately it's a business model that is here to stay.

It's a shame how times have changed. Eubank vs Benn (1) was on ITV and would have had millions of viewers. Haye vs Bellew will have a couple hundred thousand at most. 

PPV is seductive because Sky (as distributor and satellite TV/ Cable provider) and the promoter make a guaranteed % cut each PPV sale. Sky Box Office probably makes around 10% of each sale, usually the promoter gets around 45% and the remainder goes to the cable/ satellite provider (of which Sky are one of them and probably the biggest). This is easier than getting advertisers to pay for it all (and even then Sky sell TV spots throughout it's PPV's, although this won't be very lucrative because the reach of the spots will be small). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

What happened to Lee Selby

Back to fighting bums in 10 rounders now?

He was supposed to be on the Frampton undercard over in the US last month but his opponent was deemed not fit to fight just before they were due to take the ring, this is just a fight to keep him active

18 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

create an account with Skybet (make sure you register your mobile number) and put a fiver on the fight and they will send you a link to stream it online

I've got an account with them, is this for new customers only?

Â