General Chat

Stevo985

Chindie.

This might not make you feel better but did you know that 1 in 3 people have a mental illness at any one time and there are probably a lot more people out there that keep it quiet. I suppose mental health is still taboo, i dont normally talk about it. Ive had problems for a while. If you think you might need to go and talk to a doctor, why not do it, it wont hurt to talk about it and its obviously confidential.

Chindie.

This might not make you feel better but did you know that 1 in 3 people have a mental illness at any one time and there are probably a lot more people out there that keep it quiet. I suppose mental health is still taboo, i dont normally talk about it. Ive had problems for a while. If you think you might need to go and talk to a doctor, why not do it, it wont hurt to talk about it and its obviously confidential.

Very good advice.

Aye I know mental illness is quite common. I don't really like the term and like I said I'm not sure if I actually I am, I've always been a bit dour and melancholic, recently however my mood and nature has gone through the floor, not wanting to do things, feeling down etc, which has also coincided with another problem I've had for donkeys becoming much more annoying. I don't think I am but who knows. It might explain a few things.

I'll mention it when I go to the docs next, which'll have to be soon as the other problem is now royally pissing me off. Should set my mind at ease. However my doctor in Aber is shocking. I've seen him once, needed a stitch my dentist in Brum had put in taken out. First thing he said was 'Dentist put it in, dentist take it out'. When he finally did it he went on to ask me if I smoked seeming surprised when I said I didn't, then weighed me, to which I said 'yeah, the student life's taken it's tole, need to lose a bit' jokingly, and he straight faced went 'No not a bit. A lot.'. Not sure that's a doctor patient relationship I want to blossom with 'I've had this problem for a while and I've also been feeling low'. I'm not entirely sure he'd be helpful.

Aye I know mental illness is quite common. I don't really like the term and like I said I'm not sure if I actually I am, I've always been a bit dour and melancholic, recently however my mood and nature has gone through the floor, not wanting to do things, feeling down etc, which has also coincided with another problem I've had for donkeys becoming much more annoying. I don't think I am but who knows. It might explain a few things.

I'll mention it when I go to the docs next, which'll have to be soon as the other problem is now royally pissing me off. Should set my mind at ease. However my doctor in Aber is shocking. I've seen him once, needed a stitch my dentist in Brum had put in taken out. First thing he said was 'Dentist put it in, dentist take it out'. When he finally did it he went on to ask me if I smoked seeming surprised when I said I didn't, then weighed me, to which I said 'yeah, the student life's taken it's tole, need to lose a bit' jokingly, and he straight faced went 'No not a bit. A lot.'. Not sure that's a doctor patient relationship I want to blossom with 'I've had this problem for a while and I've also been feeling low'. I'm not entirely sure he'd be helpful.

Take this Test

It's not a poncey internet farce, it's the Goldberg test the Doctor wil give you if you say to him you feel down/depressed. Then judging by your result (it takes no more than 5 minutes) he'll conclude what to do. But you should go ahead and do it now just to know if you should make a deal of it or not.

Never have liked those kind of tests as it's pathetically easy to work out what the answers will do to the score.

I get the 'possibly minor depression' on it but thats with a fairly liberal interpretation of the questions. I don't think I'm properly depressed tbf anyway, most likely nothing, just get on it and I'll be fine.

Whats the other problem, if you dont mind me asking?

Ive got a back problem and that gets me down and tires me out as well as other stuff.

Chindie, chin up lad. I think from other posts you are studying in Aber?

This isn't just flippant Aber bashing but that is a quite small quite insular Uni town that is geographically remote. It's great when it's great with a few decent boozers and a half decent (relatively) footy team. But if you are used to a bigger town then coming through an Aber winter won't help you if you are naturally a bit 'down' anyway. I've known Aber close in on people, it can feel cut off.

Mention it to the doc, if you don't get an answer that you consider acceptable or it's not delivered in a tone you appreciate, tell the guy. If that doesn't improve the situation tell him thanks and I'd like to see someone else.

If I've got the Aber place wrong then just read the paragraph above this one!

Whats the other problem, if you dont mind me asking?

Ive got a back problem and that gets me down and tires me out as well as other stuff.

Patient confidentiality and all that ;), it's just a thing I've had for a very long time that at times, atm a lot of the time, that makes it difficult for me to do things even such as going over onto campus, a 5 minute walk tops. If I'm out and about I'm very conscious of it constantly and it makes me somewhat anxious, it's like a constant background noise and while it previously, when it first started, made me very very hermit like, I learnt to largely deal with it, it didn't go away but wasn't as big a deal as it was then. Now it's just flared up again to a big deal again and it makes me not want to really do things. Which has begun to genuinely get me down now as well. Not sure if that is that helpful but the details I'm not sure matter. I went to a doctor about it about 6 years ago and sorta didn't get anything done about it, and he also didn't have much clue what it was.

I have good luck with doctors, obviously.

Chindie, chin up lad. I think from other posts you are studying in Aber?

This isn't just flippant Aber bashing but that is a quite small quite insular Uni town that is geographically remote. It's great when it's great with a few decent boozers and a half decent (relatively) footy team. But if you are used to a bigger town then coming through an Aber winter won't help you if you are naturally a bit 'down' anyway. I've known Aber close in on people, it can feel cut off.

Mention it to the doc, if you don't get an answer that you consider acceptable or it's not delivered in a tone you appreciate, tell the guy. If that doesn't improve the situation tell him thanks and I'd like to see someone else.

If I've got the Aber place wrong then just read the paragraph above this one!

Aye, I'm at Aber, a lot of people get Aber fever, the remoteness gets to them, and a lot of people like it and never leave, literally. It doesn't really bother me, I quite like it here even if the winter is shite. I'm a third year anyway and we're coming into the part of year now where the town is genuinely brilliant. So I'm not sure it's the town, even if the locals are occasionally bastards and the hill is a bitch.

Hmmmmmm, just about decided to post this, bit ghey really but my thoughts on being a little down in the dumps. (i'd ignore if you are actually mentally ill)

you should engage yourself in some positive self talk and Think ahead to the future with positive thoughts, think to yourself you've got your whole life to live, there are going to be bad times, whether that's 30 seconds of pain, a day of complete boredem, a week of nothing, a year of failure, 5 years working with a shit job. There will always be good times and it's those good times I personally remind myself everyday anyway. I don't know anything about this so can easily be ignored but my life currently, i've done no revision so far for my A2, my football has gone down the pan when it looked promising, I barely go out because I don't drink, live too far away and don't drive so don't have any relationships with the females in "that way", all my mates are going to Uni next year, I haven't applied nor have a clue of what i'm doing, i'm lazy, i hate working, i don't like putting myself out there, my mom has basically said i have to start paying house keep next year if i want to live with her, while my dad says the same, i've got no clue what i'm doing, i'll have no friends from my year, friends i've known for 14 years and do you know what even talking about i don't feel unhappy because I know that I will get it sorted, maybe not now, or even in the next 6 months or year but i am positive for my future that I will go through the good times, I will finally start achieving something!! I feel fustrated with myself i haven't sorted things out but i'm happy everyday, i take each day as it comes with a smile on my face and laugh it off. I live once so even through a bad time why would I waste it being miserable when even now (a bad time in my life really when i think about it), I still go into it with positive thoughts and just normal me. I don't think about things too much, I do what I enjoy and simply live the life I want to lead instead of constantly getting bogged down by negative thoughts, thinking too much about where i want to go, what i want to do, thinking too much about why i can't bring myself to do any work. I tend to think you waste life too much by thinking too much, taking things too seriously. Relax yourself, ride the times where things aren't going smoothly with a smile and positive self talk and enjoy the good times too the absolute maximum that way you will never beat yourself up.

Â