General Chat

Stevo985

Nice one. Ive played a little bit of Hold em All amongst mates, but thats about it.

Whats a double rebuy??

Well, the union tournament usually has rules that state in the first hour, if you go out, you can rebuy and start again with the same starting stack.

However, some weeks when they expect turn out to be low, usually around essay and exam season, they mix it up to try and get the pot up by doing what they did last night, which allows you to either rebuy twice (i.e., you can go out and buy back in twice in the first hour) or rebuy and add on, if you need to. Or of course if you don't go out you can just add on. The add on is effectively buying another buy in on top of your current stack.

I'm not a great fan of either. The add on whenever they do it basically means if you want to maintain your tournament position (unless you're miles ahead in the average stack race) you have to spend another fiver to have the addon to keep the status quo. And rebuys are annoying because it means for the first hour unless someone is absolutely rubbish or very unlucky, you can't get rid of anyone and start whittling tables down. On the plus side it measn you can, if you're not bad, rack up a decent stack if you get a lot of rebuys on your table putting you at a bit of advantage on the field as a whole, but still I'd rather see someone who goes out, stays out.

But it makes sense for them to set it up like that on quiet weeks because they need to get the pot up.

Do you play online? If you do, do you do any good?

Ive always fancied having a go online but never got round to it. If i were to start playing id have to sharpen up a bit, well, A LOT.

That game's been around for years. I used to play that in GCSE IT lessons about 10 years ago!

It is about Baggio after all.. ;)

Haha, so you weren't the only ones pissing lesson away with this. I rediscovered it a few days ago. Oldie but goldie...

Do you play online? If you do, do you do any good?

Ive always fancied having a go online but never got round to it. If i were to start playing id have to sharpen up a bit, well, A LOT.

I'm not a fan of online play, I do have a Full Tilt account and never really used it, played a couple of free rolls which are nightmares, never had the inclination to deposit properly. I'm not good enough tbh, I'm very average.

If you fancied it free-rolls are decent to getting into the swing of things initially, just getting used to the software and so on, but don't expect to do well, even if you're bloody good, because people will donk and donk bad.

If you are good though, or get good, online poker can be decent. I just don't really like it, I prefer having the social side of things and someone actually being sat opposite me.

Cheers for the insight Chindie, i might start playing the free roles as ive got a lot of time on my hands at the moment, if i get any good i might try the money games, though im a bit wary of being hustled on there.

On a different note ive had some brilliant news today. Finally got a date for my back op. THURSDAY! The surgeons had a cancellation and im going in tomorrow, thank f***. Its going to be painful for a few weeks, but well worth it.

:):):):):):)

I'd not recommend free rolls for developing a playing style online, more just to get used to the very idea of playing online and how the software works and what not - just because you don't want money on the line whilst you're still learning the ropes of the software. To really get used to how it works you're going to have to play in money tourneys, basically because in free rolls people play like morons. first hand all ins with rubbish, etc etc. People get through by sheer luck. But then again it's free so nothing to lose.

They also tend to offer play chip tournaments which I'd forgotten about, give those a go to learn styles and get used to it. It's still not quite the same as playing for cash but it's better than the free rolls, just with nothing to really win.

Good luck though, I don't think I'll ever get on with it myself but I know enough people who make decent money and they aren't all amazing players.

Is that by any chance HCL? If so, do you get paid weekly or monthly? I've been told so many different things by people who used to work there. This is the one in Armagh.

Sounds like a doss, sit on your arse all day making calls and answering the phone. They pay close to £6 an hour, so it is easy money, and also you have to do a weeks course, and get paid for that.

Â