General Chat

Stevo985

I need to get out of my current job and actually get a career.

I know that feeling. I'm looking at college courses and arranging work experience in relevant fields. My gf has done this sort of thing for years and got a job she is really happy with. It works. Volunteer your free time and people will look upon you quite fondly and you gain experience as you do it.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's really the best move for me at the moment (least of all because I don't have a dicky bird what I actually want to do).

I got this job just over a year ago simply because I needed some money coming in somehow and my CV was atrocious. It's only a retail thing and ludicrously part time - in busy periods at the store I can do 30 odd hours a week, but that happens once in a blue moon.

A few things have hit me about it recently that basically makes me think 'I gotta get out of here'. I'm not a great salesman, which means running through the script with every customer makes my skin crawl, because I know that 90% of the customers coming to the till are thinking, like I would, 'I just want to buy this and get the **** out' but I've got to try to shill them for more spending.

And just before Christmas a combination of being run off my feet and an... 'awkward'... customer pressed all my buttons and caused me to lose my temper that set alarm bells ringing in my head that I really don't want to do this much longer.

My mates regularly say to me I need to get the **** out of there and I take it way too seriously for such a shit job that I've no intention of making a career of.

And then last week I wander in for the first week post Christmas and I see that the hours have tanked already, I'm back to my ludicrously part time hours that, a year ago when I was still in my overdraft and terrified of every letter Halifax sent me, was something I was just glad for and hopeful that maybe if I do well I'll get more. Now I'm out of the overdraft finally, if only by a couple of hundred quid, it irks me I seem unable to get anymore hours, and a years experience tells me I can hit all the targets and meet all the bullshit checklist crap with each customer and I still won't get any more hours, while the tosser who started at the same time that noone likes will week in week out get 1/3 more hours than me seemingly because he signed his contract before me.

The problem is I've started to look for work again actively, hoping to finally start to make my degree work for me somehow and everything I look at either wants a)qualifications I don't have or experience I don't have, B) a drivers licence, c) more UCAS points, or finally d) is in some field I don't want to go into. I log onto the Jobcentre job search and look for all jobs within 5 miles of my home and end up drowning in results for chefs. carers and forklift drivers - none of which is for me.

My friends all say go do a Masters like they have but I'm not sure that will help me besides getting me somewhat out of the job market for another year.

I dunno what to do with myself. But I've got to get out of that place and I need to start getting somewhere with my life. I'm 23 and still working in a glorified toyshop on hours a paper boy would balk at.

I know that feeling. I'm looking at college courses and arranging work experience in relevant fields. My gf has done this sort of thing for years and got a job she is really happy with. It works. Volunteer your free time and people will look upon you quite fondly and you gain experience as you do it.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's really the best move for me at the moment (least of all because I don't have a dicky bird what I actually want to do).

I got this job just over a year ago simply because I needed some money coming in somehow and my CV was atrocious. It's only a retail thing and ludicrously part time - in busy periods at the store I can do 30 odd hours a week, but that happens once in a blue moon.

A few things have hit me about it recently that basically makes me think 'I gotta get out of here'. I'm not a great salesman, which means running through the script with every customer makes my skin crawl, because I know that 90% of the customers coming to the till are thinking, like I would, 'I just want to buy this and get the **** out' but I've got to try to shill them for more spending.

And just before Christmas a combination of being run off my feet and an... 'awkward'... customer pressed all my buttons and caused me to lose my temper that set alarm bells ringing in my head that I really don't want to do this much longer.

My mates regularly say to me I need to get the **** out of there and I take it way too seriously for such a shit job that I've no intention of making a career of.

And then last week I wander in for the first week post Christmas and I see that the hours have tanked already, I'm back to my ludicrously part time hours that, a year ago when I was still in my overdraft and terrified of every letter Halifax sent me, was something I was just glad for and hopeful that maybe if I do well I'll get more. Now I'm out of the overdraft finally, if only by a couple of hundred quid, it irks me I seem unable to get anymore hours, and a years experience tells me I can hit all the targets and meet all the bullshit checklist crap with each customer and I still won't get any more hours, while the tosser who started at the same time that noone likes will week in week out get 1/3 more hours than me seemingly because he signed his contract before me.

The problem is I've started to look for work again actively, hoping to finally start to make my degree work for me somehow and everything I look at either wants a)qualifications I don't have or experience I don't have, B) a drivers licence, c) more UCAS points, or finally d) is in some field I don't want to go into. I log onto the Jobcentre job search and look for all jobs within 5 miles of my home and end up drowning in results for chefs. carers and forklift drivers - none of which is for me.

My friends all say go do a Masters like they have but I'm not sure that will help me besides getting me somewhat out of the job market for another year.

I dunno what to do with myself. But I've got to get out of that place and I need to start getting somewhere with my life. I'm 23 and still working in a glorified toyshop on hours a paper boy would balk at.

what is it you want to do? I agree with your points on the masters, all it will bring at the moment is more debt and deferring work.

Chindie, I empathise with your career situation. I'm 24, I don't really know what I want to do as a 'career', and it worries me. Although I'm not as unhappy with my current job as you seem to be. My job offers great life experience, and 'transferable skills' but no real specific role related experience. I feel as if I gain a bit of experience in a new field then I'll be able to move into it in the longer term.

But, where I was going was, what the hell is a career these days anyway? Some people have the same job for 50+ years, I suppose that is a career. Many more people might have several jobs in their lifetime, and will only be happy with a few of them. Is that a career? I dunno

Don't get hung up finding the perfect job for you, I doubt many people can say they like every aspect of their work. But maybe for the short term you need to find something that suits you better? Maybe now is a good time (whilst on low hours) to make up the deficit in 'experience' that the better jobs require with a job focused course or volunteering in a field that interests you. I'm sure many people have stumbled into jobs and careers that way.

The other alternative, which has worked for a few of my friends. Up sticks, move abroad, live a bit, learn another language, experience something different and come back when it suits you. 6 months, 5 years, whatever.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Anyone thinks British-style elections (i.e. elections held in democracies with Westminster parliamentary systems of government) tend to be much less interesting that elections in other countries.

Where do you begin getting that thing out of the water though to repair it?

First of all they will have to upright her (many tugs involved) then pull her back into open waters, again using the tugs. Whilst ensuring she is watertight and not likely to sink (highly unlikely she would sink though). They will then ballast her to make sure she is level to a certain degree.

From there she will be slowly towed to a dry dock for a survey of the damage, and someone from the insurance company along with surveyours will make a decision on the extent of the damage and repair involved.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the captain will find himself in court over it and will probably never captain a ship again though...

Shame, wonderful vessle.

Thats another pat of the problem - I dunno. Never have. I know what I don't want to do - anything sales related, nor recruitment. But what I actually want to do, I just don't know.

Same boat as you, Chindie. Always thought when I finished school something would click and I'd know what I want. 24 and still none the wiser what I want to make a career out of.

First of all they will have to upright her (many tugs involved) then pull her back into open waters, again using the tugs. Whilst ensuring she is watertight and not likely to sink (highly unlikely she would sink though). They will then ballast her to make sure she is level to a certain degree.

From there she will be slowly towed to a dry dock for a survey of the damage, and someone from the insurance company along with surveyours will make a decision on the extent of the damage and repair involved.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the captain will find himself in court over it and will probably never captain a ship again though...

Shame, wonderful vessle.

It's a bloody massive hole. Mending that before setting her afloat will be quite a task.

hole1p.jpg

hole2a.jpg

I guess it's not like pranging your bumper is it? If people die and it's the captains fault, should he ever be able to captain again?

I didn't expect anyone to actually know how to repair the thing though, so fair play, knowledge :thumb:.

What if it's not his fault, maybe down to dodgy equipment?

Sorry to quote you PV, but I think you're right. If it's his fault and people died then no he shouldn't. I think the same with drivers, if you kill someone on the road and you're clearly to blame, life time ban.

Shame, wonderful vessle.

It's a bloody massive hole. Mending that before setting her afloat will be quite a task.

hole1p.jpg

hole2a.jpg

They wont need to mend it mate, they will upright her and certain sectors of the bottom of the ship will fill with water (where the shell has been breached). They will make sure that all other areas are watertight with use of the watertight doors and bulkheads etc and she will float. The problem will be if the shell is split above the lower decks and looking at the photos it is no-where near them.

So uprighting her and getting her to float will not be a problem. Is not like the days of the Titanic anymore, ships are broken into segments/areas that can take on a massive amount of water without sinking. The ship wont just continue to fill with water until in sinks. It will take on water where the rip is, the compartments that are breached will fill up with water to the next deck up and to the forward and aft bulkheads that are watertight and she will then float.

The easiest way to imagine it would be to think of an empty 2 litre bottle, that has 20 different compartments all seperate from one another (horizontally and vertically, sit the bottle in water, it will float. Split the bottle at the bottom breaching 2-3 compartments and they would fill with water, the bottle will still float and as long as the dividing boundarys are not broken the bottle will stay afloat, ableit sit lower in the water.

This is how ships are designed, the shell can split and she will still float, although certaib areas of the ship will be full of water, it wont just fill with water completley until it sinks.

I guess it's not like pranging your bumper is it? If people die and it's the captains fault, should he ever be able to captain again?

I didn't expect anyone to actually know how to repair the thing though, so fair play, knowledge :thumb:.

What if it's not his fault, maybe down to dodgy equipment?

Sorry to quote you PV, but I think you're right. If it's his fault and people died then no he shouldn't. I think the same with drivers, if you kill someone on the road and you're clearly to blame, life time ban.

It wont come down to whether it was his fault mate, chances are he will never captain again because no company will trust him with their multi-million pound vessle. This will cost the millions of pounds to repair not to mention the money they will be losing whilst she is out of action.

Especially if they put it down to neglegance on his behalf.

Â