General Chat

Stevo985

I'll be honest here, most people in work today were going on about how they hope the storm **** off to sea and doesn't affect us. They are all full of shit, My apartment is about 20ft from the East River and built on reclaimed land, my office is in Downtown Manhattan and at severe risk of flooding, I've had to cancel a bunch of weekend plans and stocked up on water and some other goods. Unlike the people who pretend they don't want the shit to go down. I really **** hope it does, I want to see half the city flooded, devastation up and down the East coast, blackouts, water shortages, flooded subways, abandoned cars, roofs blown off, people boating in the middle of the street. I want this **** to hit NJ as category 3 ravage it and move into NYC at cat 2. Maybe I'm alone but I know I'm not. Whenever a major incident or disaster happens we put on this veneer of horror and shock but inside we are all thirsting for more. CARNAGE BABY! CARNAGE!

Haha, I know what you mean. Obviously you don't want people to suffer, but there's always something about big weather events that makes me want them to strike with maximum force.

Wondering whether or not to let a guy I know live in my spare bedroom for a month. He's a little bit annoying and could be very annoying if I had to live with him.

But he's offering to pay €400/500 for the privilege. I don't think I can turn that sort of cash down really. I'll have to run it past my father whose apartment it is. One of the problems is that in the room he's looking to rent there is a bed and an ensuite. No where for him to study or hang out or anything like that. So he'd be in the living room all the time, as I would be. We'd be living in each others pockets. €400 though....

Spent the day in the British Museum studying Ancient writings and going on a tour of some of itd best bits.... fascinating stuff!

Was told the Museum has oodles of stuff that no one has even properly catalogued or investigated as yet in the archives!

Sounds like I didn't miss much at VP and can fast forward all the boring bits when I get home on Monday night!

I'm in the middle of digging out a pond for the back garden.

The things only about 2.4m x 1.8m but so far I've managed to dig up 3 dog skeletons.

Probably try and sell them to goths on e-bay.

I'm always worried to dig in my garden, it's like a game of dead pet minesweeper.

Just got back from a walk around town... power's been cut in a few places, but didn't see any downed trees etc. The river was a bit swollen, though (will probably grow more so over the next couple of days).

From the next town over

Up-river

Springfield Republican"]

Officials in Shelburne and Buckland have evacuated two streets each near the Deerfield River and several other streets near smaller rivers and streams are under water following torrential rains dumped by Hurricane Irene.

“The volume of water that is coming into the Berkshires and into the small streams from the tropical storm is at record levels, said John Payne, chairman of the Board of Selectmen for Shelburne.

One of the concerns is the Deerfield River is not expected to reach its crest until about 5 p.m. and the river has already reached the bottom of the Bridge of Flowers and the Iron Bridge in Shelburne, Payne said.

There are also concerns that water will flow over the Harriman Dam, which is upstream in Whitingham, Vt., and that dam may give way, he said.

In Shelburne, Water Street and Main Street to the intersection of Mechanic Street have been evacuated. State and Conway streets in Buckland are also evacuated. All residents are being moved to the Greenfield Middle School, on Federal Avenue, where a regional center has been set up.

Several streets near streams are also closed. They include Bardwell’s Ferry and Brook Road in Shelburne and Clesson Street in Buckland, he said.

The two communities had emergency plans in place and they worked well in the evacuation, Payne said.

Additionally north and southbound lanes of Interstate 91 have been closed to traffic between Greenfield and Deerfield because of concerns about the flooding.

While out on my walk, I was told by a trooper that I-91's bridge over the Deerfield River was out, but haven't been able to confirm this.... the bridge is a bit old (it dates to c. 1960) and had some structural issues (it was slated to be replaced in the next few years anyway), so I'm not too surprised.

news just broke

Massachusetts State Police are shutting down Route 91 between Sunderland and Greenfield because of swollen conditions on the Deerfield River as a result of the torrential rains following Hurricane Irene and an issue involving a dam facility in Rowe.

It could be several days before it's reopened.

In a statement released by David Procopio, a state police spokesman, the facility in question, which has both an upper dam and a lower dam, is a power-generating facility. Late Sunday morning, the upper dam released a large volume of water, which then flowed down toward the lower dam, known as the Bear Swamp Dam. That dam was not able to handle that amount of water, and released water into the Deerfield River, causing its level to rise, Procopio said.

The Deerfield River passes under Route 91 at the Stillwater Bridge in Deerfield. Emergency management officials are concerned that the level and strength of the river might damage the bridge’s mooring, Procopio said. That prompted the shutdown of 91 between Whately and Greenfield, a stretch of approximately 10 miles. The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency and the National Guard are establishing a command post at Greenfield Community College.

In consultation with the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, State Police will keep the stretch of Route 91 containing the Still Water Bridge in Deerfield closed to allow divers to check the bridge’s mooring in the Deerfield River, Procopio said. I-91 will be closed on Monday, and it may be several days before the waters recede enough to allow divers in to check that area, he said.

Possibly of note: The old nuclear plant

Covered bridge washes away

Unfortunately, this was only a tropical storm; had it been a hurricane, it would be three lived through for me :(

Haha, after a night out, about 10 of us went back to mate house,

As people do, go round house, come across sisters room...just 16. So obvs look in first draw next to bed. First thing in there? A 10 inch virbrator hahahahhaa, took it into lounge as a joke, we got kicked out house :lol: unbelievable. Even got a photo. Going on Facebook with a tag of her sister :lol:

Haha, after a night out, about 10 of us went back to mate house,

As people do, go round house, come across sisters room...just 16. So obvs look in first draw next to bed. First thing in there? A 10 inch virbrator hahahahhaa, took it into lounge as a joke, we got kicked out house :lol: unbelievable. Even got a photo. Going on Facebook with a tag of her sister :lol:

I'm hoping that when you sober up you realise that rummaging through people's drawers after being invited into their home is actually bang out of order. It may be acceptable on 'Come Dine With Me' but not in the real world! Putting aside the fact that finding a vibrator funny is puerile, there should certainly be less shame associated with getting yours kicks from sex toy than from the public humiliation of 16 year old girls.

Being told I'm bang out of order who basically called all parents and future parents,''mentally weak' and they must have had 'pointless, inadequate lives'

New low :(

You sound about as fun as aids.

what gives you the **** right to do any of that? You basically invaded someone's privacy and now are embarking on nothing more than a total bullying campaign by posting or threatening to post on Facebook.

Maybe the authorities will be interested in your post, I know they take a keen view on cyber-bullying

Â