General Chat

Stevo985

We have friends in Khartoum, they lived on the airport side and it sounds absolutely mental.

It's a couple and their child. Historically Mum & Dad aren't easily flustered, but they have a little one now and that's changed things.

They've been moved to a hotel with power, water and internet, but the journey wasn't easy. They were repeatedly stopped by soldiers en route, and their little boy was terrified.

Now they're looking to exit Sudan, easier said than done when the airport's a battleground.

What we're hearing today has the makings of a book.

Hopefully there's a happy ending.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Saw a small kangaroo on the way back from the shops this afternoon.Its not unusual to see kangaroos but its not an everyday thing either.Made my day.

Did it surprise you enough to make you jump?

4 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

No,but if I was carrying a "man bag" I would have looked in there for something for him.

All but one of the ones I have seen have skiddadled before I could get close. The exception turned out to have infected eyes. (excludes all the road train victims, obviously). This about as close as I could otherwise get

Library - 970 of 3893_Original.jpeg

1 minute ago, blandy said:

All but one of the ones I have seen have skiddadled before I could get close. The exception turned out to have infected eyes. (excludes all the road train victims, obviously). This about as close as I could otherwise get

Library - 970 of 3893_Original.jpeg

Looks like the ones you saw were in the outback ( judging by the picture ) here in the city you can see kangaroos any day of the week ( and any time ) if you go to the right places,eg any cemitary ( they love eating the flowers ) any golf corse ( you see them all over any golf corse in Perth ) and,as you will know if you have been to Perth,there is a lot of native bush/parkland in between housing.So, as I say not unusual to see them but not everyday either....... unless you go to the right places.  

Just now, PussEKatt said:

Looks like the ones you saw were in the outback ( judging by the picture ) here in the city you can see kangaroos any day of the week ( and any time ) if you go to the right places,eg any cemitary ( they love eating the flowers ) any golf corse ( you see them all over any golf corse in Perth ) and,as you will know if you have been to Perth,there is a lot of native bush/parkland in between housing.So, as I say not unusual to see them but not everyday either....... unless you go to the right places.  

Yeah, all outback. They’re everywhere there. As are Emus. I’ve never seen one in Perth, though, or any of the ‘burbs, despite having spent quite a lot of time there.

One thing that stands out is that the array and numbers of wildlife in Aus is far more than we get in nature depleted uk. It’s really striking and sad ( for the uk).

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

Apparently you have a black fox in Barry, @chrisp65.

th-334015332.jpg

Yes we do, apparently.

We’re all putting on red jackets on the weekend, having a couple of whiskies and then riding around on scooters trying to find it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes we do, apparently.

We’re all putting on red jackets on the weekend, having a couple of whiskies and then riding around on scooters trying to find it.

Once in a lifetime opportunity, blooding the kids with a black fox! 😮

• Like 1

Back in them 1970’s we (Barry) had a zoo. Just one of those shitty local zoos where you pay your tenner and only then realise they’ve got chickens, an owl, and a depressed donkey.

Anyway, word got out one foggy evening that a puma had escaped. It being the 70’s all the kids were allowed out with torches to see if they could find it.

Looking back, I think the parental group think had been, it’s highly unlikely there’s a puma, but even if there is, we can spend the evening creating new offspring to replace any losses, so ying n yang.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Back in them 1970’s we (Barry) had a zoo. Just one of those shitty local zoos where you pay your tenner and only then realise they’ve got chickens, an owl, and a depressed donkey.

Anyway, word got out one foggy evening that a puma had escaped. It being the 70’s all the kids were allowed out with torches to see if they could find it.

Looking back, I think the parental group think had been, it’s highly unlikely there’s a puma, but even if there is, we can spend the evening creating new offspring to replace any losses, so ying n yang.

Reminds me of a zoo I went to whilst on holiday.

I paid €15 to get in and every single pen was empty, apart one in the far corner that had a small dog in it.

Spoiler

It was a Shih Tzu

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, all outback. They’re everywhere there. As are Emus. I’ve never seen one in Perth, though, or any of the ‘burbs, despite having spent quite a lot of time there.

One thing that stands out is that the array and numbers of wildlife in Aus is far more than we get in nature depleted uk. It’s really striking and sad ( for the uk).

To give you an idear of what its like in Perth ( in the burbs ) I live in Esther loop.If you go to the end of our street and turn left, you go to large built up arears like Joondalup ( but with roos in the cemitary or golf corses ) if you turn right at the end of our street you get into more bush/parks/open land etc than houses.Turn right, go to the end of the street and turn right again and you see more land than houses.Check it out on "showmystreet" 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

you go to large built up arears like Joondalup

Been there. Didn’t see any Roos. Wasn’t looking for them, mind, not even wandering around the big park there. It was hot, so I went for a beer.

If you want to see Roos in Joondalup you have to go to the hospital after dark,then you will see 10/15 eating grass on the front lawn.

As far as the built up areas go.You misunderstood my post.I was trying to show that if you turn left at the end of my street you will drive through built up arears ( houses,shops,shopping mall,library,etc etc.

If you turn right you will see not many houses but a lot of native bush.

So I was trying to say.Turn Left and you go into the city/Joondalup.

Turn Right and you are in the native bush.

I have attached pictures of how close you can get to a roo at the cemitary and the different views if you turn Left/Right.rsz_1rsz_1rsz_to_bush.png.48d4bb8f32f1e0d87b4a9db3f9437508.png

rsz_1rsz_1to_shops.png

rsz_rsz_imag00061.jpg

• Like 1

Â