General Chat

Stevo985

9 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

nothing about being a parent appeals to me.

Me neither. I thought as I got older, it would, but nope, no appeal whatsoever

Got bit by one of them council estate terrier dogs chavs have this afternoon, nothing major but enough to draw blood, now I've got to lose more money fromwork going to the doctors to see if they think it could cause an infection

Got bit by one of them council estate terrier dogs chavs have this afternoon, nothing major but enough to draw blood, now I've got to lose more money fromwork going to the doctors to see if they think it could cause an infection

Thing is...they like lube. Never mind you learn from your mistakes.

• Like 1

My biggest fear in life is that I'll be in my sixties with no family to visit or come visit me. That too selfish a reason to bring a child into this world though without wanting it . IMO.

• Like 1

Don't have kids, not bothered about having them, but if it happens, then I'm confident I'd give my all into raising that child. Was actually thinking the other day that I'd like to father a girl, so I can name her Amélie.   

The GM at work sent this mass email out today, here is an excerpt:

Finally, I am realistic about the fact that the one of the perks of the restaurant business is its ability to allow for flexibility in your life.  That being said, we are a relatively small business that works best by running a tight staff and I do my best to accommodate everyone's schedule with frequently changing availability & to their liking so the flexibility needs to be a give and take.  Most of you are great about this flexibility but if you start to feel like you are a repeat offender with requests off & the inability to have this Saturday flexibility, lets please have an honest conversation about how much your position here still makes sense to you.  

Love the last sentence, this chick is tough and I like it

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Xela said:

It's great , you get to see cartoon at the cinema without everyone thinking you are a weirdo , you get to make all your friends feel inferior when you constantly post on Facebook about how little Tarquin came top of class and was voted the 4 years old most likely to cure cancer in his lunch break and you get to eat their Easter eggs when nobody is looking 

I need help/advice from some of the DIY/builder types on here.

The bricks under my front window on my house look like this

fd28847564e925f559ccf4122f7d0ca0.jpg

76c038e793e431afb87856a32143b784.jpg

Anyone know what's caused it and if it's easy/possible to fix? (I'm thinking just a patch job to make it look nice. I'm moving soon)

Edited by Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I need help/advice from some of the DIY/builder types on here.

The bricks under my front window on my house look like this

fd28847564e925f559ccf4122f7d0ca0.jpg

76c038e793e431afb87856a32143b784.jpg

Anyone know what's caused it and if it's easy/possible to fix?

I've actually been voted the worlds worst DIY man 13 years running in my household , but I believe that means you have got water inside the brickwork which will have frozen over winter and then caused this .... I'm basing this on having something similar on a wall in my house and what the block told me , the technical term is "spalling " I believe ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thanks! Did you get it fixed?

yeah he did it as part of some other work so I couldn't say how much it cost  or exactly what he did ... but I don't think you have to take the whole wall down or anything , they can just replace those few ,  the hardest bit would be trying to match the brickwork though

23 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah he did it as part of some other work so I couldn't say how much it cost  or exactly what he did ... but I don't think you have to take the whole wall down or anything , they can just replace those few ,  the hardest bit would be trying to match the brickwork though

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That wouldn't be a problem as I'll paint over it anyway (you can vaguely see on that picture that it used to be painted anyway but has faded).

Yep, looks from that photo like bog standard brick spall. Ice has popped the front off the brick. So you can have a couple of new bricks, some brick slips, or some brick coloured filler. 

But....a good repair man / builder might point out to you that it looks like your damp course is a bit low. I'd guess it was the right height but then you covered the garden in brick pavers for ease of maintenance. Ideally, the dpc would be at 150mm (two bricks high). Rather than dig down and lay to the original height, they've laid the pavers on top of the existing ground level. So now the damp proof course that used to be two bricks high, is now only one brick high. The rain that used to absorb in to the earth or the flower bed, now bounces up and over the damp proof course.

Probably nothing. Possibly have no effect ever whatsoever. A zealous surveyor could pick it up and mention it to potential buyers. But yes, painting the bottom two rows of bricks a different colour would cause most drive by surveyors to think everything is fine.

Or, your house is sinking.

• Like 2

The block paving has been put in way to high, it should be 2 course minimum below the damp, the fact it's level with your air brick is a problem, a good spell of rain and it will run off the pavers into the air brick, because there is no drainage the rain water is soaking into the brick, when it freezes it blows the face off the brick. If suggest pointing the it and painting, but as Chrisp says, a surveyor may well pick this up, or if someone who views the house knows what they are looking for they could spot the paving is too high

Should I be pissed off at the guy who did my drive then?

They put drainage in but they only put it in one corner of the drive as they said it slanted in that direction so the water would all run off that way. But I'm now thinking that's bollocks as I can see myself when it rains that it doesn't all run down to the drain.

To be fair, I've just looked back at some pics and the damage was there before the drive was put in, so I don't think it's down to that. I'd just not noticed it before because there was grass and stuff in the way.

Â