General Chat

Stevo985

Well it might be an older person's understanding of what a 'proper' job is, but there could be something deeper to look at.

First off, it's a very small random sample, but it looks true and feels like a fair reflection on how society has moved.

In the black and white pathe news past, we built stuff, made stuff, repaired stuff and had butch manly skills. That team from 1955, they could build a house. The 2014 team, hmmm, they'll struggle to buy a house unless something good comes of that degree in 'sports science'.

Perhaps, perhaps today's manly men don't have the time to play football? Perhaps most of today's plumbers really are east European and wouldn't know how to get involved in local football.

Perhaps being a student or a sales assistant today is actually a comfortable enough lifestyle that we don't need to know how to fix things, we can just buy new stuff.

• Like 2

1 year off after teaching degree

The next time they complain about being poor, punch them in the back of the head from me please. :)

• Like 2

ok, this is more general chat than footy related, hence why I've stuck it here

as a random snapshot of people's jobs I've compared the two lists of footy players in last night's programme, the first lot are from the 1955 season and jobs are listed thus: 

3 Plumbers

2 carpenters

2 corporation gardeners

1 electricity board

1 national service

1 postman

1 brewery worker

1 plasterer

2 farm labourers

1 electrician

1 miner

1 bricklayer

1 metal worker

1 RAF

all very 1955 stand up jobs, then we have last night's away team...

1 bricklayer

1 sales account manager

1 barman

6 university  (3 sport related, 1 unspecified, 1 bioengineering, 1 teaching degree)

1 sales administrator

1 teaching assistant

1 gym instructor

1 clerical assistant

1 Frankie and bennies

1 sales

1 year off after teaching degree

1 crisp department at Tesco (that's what it says!)

1 scaffolder

I guess this could have gone in the boring thread, but I thought it was an insight into what we've become over the last 60 years, not good or bad, just different

Was this Warwick v Bromsgrove Sporting ?

nah, although I have seen the new Bromsgrove team this year, they're doing well.

it was Barry vs Newcastle Emlyn, properly obscure but a good atmosphere and a good laugh with a crowd up for a bit of call and response fun

nah, although I have seen the new Bromsgrove team this year, they're doing well.

it was Barry vs Newcastle Emlyn, properly obscure but a good atmosphere and a good laugh with a crowd up for a bit of call and response fun

Gotta love a bit of Welsh league action!!

• Like 1

Â