Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness Carew is about a foot and a half bigger than Canavro thats why he had problems with him.

As for comparing king to Mcgrath absolute rubbish. Watch ireland vs italy 1994 best individual defensive performance ever vs the best player in the world at teh time plus some top players alongside Baggio

Ledley King isnt a patch on him.

But hey - carry on - then come back in a month or 2 and tell us how Spurs fans REALLY dont over-rate their players ;)

Honestly mate read over what I wrote and see where I have said King is as good as McGrath.

I compared the two due to their injury record and inability to train / stay off the booze.

All I did was defend King when you said he was not fit to lace McGraths boots, which he clearly is.

I have seen both play on numerous occasions and to say there is a huge golf in class is just not true Im afraid.

"King is the new McGrath" - thats all you need to say when trying to label King in the same class.

Otherwise, as stated, I am the new Messi. I have two arms, two legs. Therefore, I must be the new messi. Using that as the way to compare them...

McGrath has gone down as one of the greatest defenders the English leagues have ever seen. King wont even be the best of his generation. Not fit to lace his boots.

Putting King in with the likes of McGrath is quite ridiculous really. Ledley King is a defender that, when fit, plays well enough, but isn't even in the top 10 defenders in the league when at his best, forget matching up to McGrath who is arguably one of the best defenders in the Premier League era. It's not often defenders win such things like the Player of the Year award, it's also not very often for a player outside the big 4 to win the award, so to be a defender outside the big 4 and win it just shows how good the player was.

McGrath, while he had alot of injuries and operations, still played an awful lot of games and was widely recognised as one of the best defenders in the league. Ledley King is a player, who despite being in the league 12 years, has made less appearances then McGrath did in his 7 years at Villa. If anyone has been elevated to mythical status, it's King. He hardly plays and when he does he's not exactly World class, but because Spurs are a slightly better side with him, they bang on about how great he is when he plays.

"King is the new McGrath" - thats all you need to say when trying to label King in the same class.

Otherwise, as stated, I am the new Messi. I have two arms, two legs. Therefore, I must be the new messi. Using that as the way to compare them...

McGrath has gone down as one of the greatest defenders the English leagues have ever seen. King wont even be the best of his generation. Not fit to lace his boots.

OK take one part of the sentence and just ignore the rest....Nice.

So tell me if King isnt the best of his generation, tell me where the weekeness in his game lies? Pace? Heading? Tackling?

Or maybe you just havent seen him that often so you dont have a clue:

If you would have watched McGrath week in week out you would fully appreciate the class of the player. Yes he had his low points, but when he was at his peak with us he was immense. His reading of the game was second to none, he was also a very skillful player with the ball. I remember little skillful backheels and flicks to safety.

I used to have a conversation with my Spurs supporting friend, who used to claim Mabbutt was as good as McGrath. Did Mabbutt win Player of the year? No! I'll admit Mabbutt was a good defender, but nothing special like McGrath. Again Ledley King, decent defender, but still not in McGraths class I'm afraid.

Mabs and McGrath were different types of defender completely. Mabs was a blood and thunder defender, who wore his heart on his sleeve. Spurs legend but never as talented as Mcgrath.

King is a different kettle of fish to Mabs, he has all the attributes that Mabs didn't snd had to make up for with sheer endevour.

OK I'm glad we're agreeing on the Mabbutt thing, as my mate wasn't having any of it at the time. Which has led me to take everything Spurs supporters say with a pinch of salt.

I don't think we'll ever be able to agree on King/McGrath. It must say something of McGrath, the idolisation he receives from all Villa and Ireland fans many years after he has finished playing the game. That combined with the fact he was a Central Defender, not the most glamorous/glorified position in the team.

Will King be as fondly remembered ten years after he finishes playing?

So tell me if King isnt the best of his generation, tell me where the weekeness in his game lies? Pace? Heading? Tackling?

Best of his generation? Okay, surely you must understand what we mean when we say Spurs fans massively over-rate their players.

Individual attributes mean nothing really, it's performances that matter and his are certainly over-rated. For example, what do you think of his attempted 'tackle' on Fabregas for their 2nd goal against you? If somebody in my 6-a-side team did that I'd **** have a right go, forget a Premier League footballer.

Nobody has seen enough of King to have a clue, he has only made 30+ Premier League starts in a season 2 imes in 12 years.

Ashley Young made a last ditch tackle against PJS when we played United last year. I'm telling ya, that lads the best defender of his generation.

What he lacks is general ability - hes a good player - but not in the same league.

Terry, Ferdinand are both better players. Also during his career, Sol Campbell has been a better player. Theres 3 without even having to think who are far better than him.

But yeah, he has all the athletic qualities. But he cant read the game as well as McGrath could - which is why you mention his pace. He needs that pace to get him out of the hole he digs. His concentration has often been seen as an issue - again, his pace will help here.

But dont let the fact you've brought up his pace as a massive thing either. FYI - McGrath was bloody quick. Very, very quick - but it hardly ever gets mentioned, or even thought of, because he hardly needed it as a weapon.

Oh, a youtube video. Thats fantastic. Well done.

Now look at the fact that McGrath has been there and done it, not just missed out on it by being injured.

Best of his generation? Okay, surely you must understand what we mean when we say Spurs fans massively over-rate their players.

Individual attributes mean nothing really, it's performances that matter and his are certainly over-rated. For example, what do you think of his attempted 'tackle' on Fabregas for their 2nd goal against you? If somebody in my 6-a-side team did that I'd **** have a right go, forget a Premier League footballer.

Nobody has seen enough of King to have a clue, he has only made 30+ Premier League starts in a season 2 imes in 12 years.

Ashley Young made a last ditch tackle against PJS when we played United last year. I'm telling ya, that lads the best defender of his generation.

OK then, you clearly dont have a clue about football.

Why despite the lack of games have successive England manager (including Capello) insisted on including him, even playing him as holding midfielder despite his knee and at the expense of a fit Jamie Carragher.

Cant wait for this.

Why despite games have successive England manager (including Capello) insisted on including him, even playing him as holding midfielder despite his knee and at the expense of a fit Jamie Carragher.

Cant wait for this.

Because Carragher has retired from international football.

When Ledley King wins the footballer of the year award, something that is almost impossible to do if you are a defender (and even more difficult if the team you play for didnt win the league) then he can be called as good as Paul McGrath. Until that happens? Good player, just not a great one.

Why despite games have successive England manager (including Capello) insisted on including him, even playing him as holding midfielder despite his knee and at the expense of a fit Jamie Carragher.

Cant wait for this.

Because Carragher has retired from international football.

That was why Carragher quit. Honestly, dont get involved if you don't have a clue.

Â