Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

Whats first the Egg or the chicken? You get smaller attendances and your perceived catchment area baffles, we are the only big team in an area of considerable population and in the biggest city in England, Google that one. Check the stats for viewers from the USA, we lead the table there............

Spurs fans are saying they should have won, why? Your attack was great apart from what, the finishing, or our defence playing very well? We had a few chances on goal, but nowhere near the amount Spurs did, so why did it finish 1-1, your defence being no good or our finishing being better?

You can't have it both ways and neither can we, good luck for the season.

PS Any chance of candle face dropping Huddlestone so we can have have him? Perhaps a swap for NRC? :winkold:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats first the Egg or the chicken? You get smaller attendances and your perceived catchment area baffles, we are the only big team in an area of considerable population and in the biggest city in England, Google that one. Check the stats for viewers from the USA, we lead the table there............

Spurs fans are saying they should have won, why? Your attack was great apart from what, the finishing, or our defence playing very well? We had a few chances on goal, but nowhere near the amount Spurs did, so why did it finish 1-1, your defence being no good or our finishing being better?

You can't have it both ways and neither can we, good luck for the season.

PS Any chance of candle face dropping Huddlestone so we can have have him? Perhaps a swap for NRC? :winkold:

Erm mate, we have lower attendances because we have a smaller ground.

We sell out pretty much every week you cant do more than that.

By the way, if you had offered that swap pre season I would have probably taken it.

I like looking at stats, because half the time they don't actually tell you what people say they tell you.

The website one for example looks at which of 20 Prem Clubs' Official websites received the most hits over a period in 2007. So liverpool have a popular website, then. Wow. Lots of fans abroad, perhaps? Or maybe the site is genuinely good. I know ours has been poor for a good while, though it's getting a bit better.

The Telegraph one found that A countrywide survey of 2,708 football fans found that the Merseyside club, currently [at the time] the league leaders, [were] the best watched team on TV. So the league leaders playing in big games on the telly were likely to get watched quite a bit, from a sample of fans. The things you learn, eh!

The other survey (by "Roy Morgan Research, Australia’s best known and longest established market research and public opinion survey company" ) found that Man Utd fans are 81% more likely to be aged between 14 and 17. and Chelsea supporters are more than twice as likely (164% more likely) to have been to a beauty salon or spa in the last three months. and West Ham fans are 44% more likely to be aged 65 and over. Right. That kind of survey. I've learnt absolutely cock all.

Anyone drawing too many conclusions from them should have a bit of a think, IMO.

But they make Spurs look good though so im jealous.

They don't make Spurs look good. How does having alot of fans make a team look good? It's just an explanantion for all the media coverage. Why is it everything a Spurs fan posts is seen as saying Spurs are superior or an attack on Villa? You don't get extra points for the size of your fanbase FFS. Fan base counts for nothing, but does explain the percieved media bias.

Erm mate, we have lower attendances because we have a smaller ground.

Why do you have a smaller ground? This is my point, its no good looking for facts on why you are in the media more, when there are no real hard facts that should count, other than your success or lack of. We are similar in most ways, other than the media,IMO, hyping Spurs more.

You support Spurs and I support Villa, we ain't never gonna agree. Your team played well on Saturday and thats all I can bring myself to type. :rant:

So are you saying that the media aren't biased to Spurs? Or that because you have a large fan base media bias is understandable?

Either way I think you its wrong, Spurs do get more press than they deserve and that in my view is largelly down to the fact you are a London club.

I'm not attacking you for that, its not your fault or Spurs fault its just the way it is.

But they make Spurs look good though so im jealous.

They don't make Spurs look good. How does having alot of fans make a team look good? It's just an explanantion for all the media coverage. Why is it everything a Spurs fan posts is seen as saying Spurs are superior or an attack on Villa? You don't get extra points for the size of your fanbase FFS. Fan base counts for nothing, but does explain the percieved media bias.

Who rattled her cage???

So are you saying that the media aren't biased to Spurs? Or that because you have a large fan base media bias is understandable?

Either way I think you its wrong, Spurs do get more press than they deserve and that in my view is largelly down to the fact you are a London club.

I'm not attacking you for that, its not your fault or Spurs fault its just the way it is.

I'm not saying the media are biased, but trying to explain why there is more media coverage. What you see as media bias, Spurs fans often see as a media hate campaign. I can't remember a single negative story about Villa, but I'm sure you lot have seen loads. I do remember all the hype last season about you finishing in the top 4 though. It's just the way fans percieve things. We notice the positive stuff about our rivals and negative about our own. Spurs messageboards a full of posts about the Gooner press and how they slag us off. But in the same way Villa fans don't notice all the negative stuff written about Spurs, Spurs fans don't notice the neagitve stuff about other clubs.

The modern press isn't about deserve. It's about what sells. It's not as if all the Spurs stories are reviews of our games. It's usually speculation about where we will finish or what players we are buying and selling. It's the same with all entertainment, not just football. Eastenders, Big Brother or Strictly Come Dancing are all shit but constantly in the press. The press don't talk about the quality shows, they talk about the shows that have the biggest audiences.

Another thing that I've recently found out about Spurs fans is how they're so bitter and jealous to their superior neighbours. It's not like in a Small Heath way because Small Heath fans genuinely can accept we are the bigger and better team but Spurs fans think otherwise actually think they're some how on 'par' with Arsenal when they clearly have never been and never will. They constantly ridicule Wenger too (even though they have as Redknob as manager lol) saying this is and that, but it makes Spurs and Spurs fans look even more like a patheitic joke because since Wenger arrived at Arsenal Spurs have been through TWELVE managers and haven't spent double the amount on players than Arsenal have. It's just sad really... but at the same time funny lol.

Btw no way Spurs finishing in the top 4. Their fans now have got exactly the same excitement and genuine feeling we had this time last season about finishing 4th and we all know how that turned out... there's no reasons why it won't happen to Spurs.

Another thing that I've recently found out about Spurs fans is how they're so bitter and jealous to their superior neighbours. It's not like in a Small Heath way because Small Heath fans genuinely can accept we are the bigger and better team but Spurs fans think otherwise actually think they're some how on 'par' with Arsenal when they clearly have never been and never will. They constantly ridicule Wenger too (even though they have as Redknob as manager lol) saying this is and that, but it makes Spurs and Spurs fans look even more like a patheitic joke because since Wenger arrived at Arsenal Spurs have been through TWELVE managers and haven't spent double the amount on players than Arsenal have. It's just sad really... but at the same time funny lol.

Btw no way Spurs finishing in the top 4. Their fans now have got exactly the same excitement and genuine feeling we had this time last season about finishing 4th and we all know how that turned out... there's no reasons why it won't happen to Spurs.

I think this is the problem. You percieve Spurs fans as thinking we are on a par with Arsenal. Yet in reality only a minority of Spurs fans would think that. A similar percentage to say the Villa fans who predicted you'd finish in the top 4 this season, or Man city fans who thought they'd challenge for the title. Every club has it's fair share of delusional fans. Also, whilst Spurs fans don't like Wenger, most very much respect his ability as a manager. Many Spurs fans don't like Redknapp, but they've grown to respect him for the job he is doing.

And the history of Spurs/Arsenal rivalry goes back along way and is one of the more understandable rivalries if you know the history.

This whole thing of labelling groups of fans is just stupid. In the office I work in there are some Utd fans that are alright and some that are complete dicks. The same with Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal fans who work with me. My best mate is a gooner. But i don't judge any of them or characterise them based on the football team they support. And this obvioulsy wont be a popular thing to say on this messageboard, but those who do are the real rocket polishers.

I'm not saying the media are biased, but trying to explain why there is more media coverage. What you see as media bias, Spurs fans often see as a media hate campaign. I can't remember a single negative story about Villa

Do you not think the press being based in London and made up of a significantly higher number of Spurs supporting journalist than say a club like us or Sunderland has some influence upon this?

I accept your point that each fan base see things in a similar vain but the fact is other than last season we have never got any attention from the media. In order to do so we had to go 14 games unbeaten and hold a place in the top 4, this season though its back to being under the radar.

The difference is that in the media there is an expectation that Spurs should be up there that they should be challanging and they are always tipped to be. If they aren't it is as you say almost more headline news than if they are.

The same doesn't apply to Villa, never has done. Yes we got press last season but normally by and large we are ignored. Why is that? Because both clubs are similar in many many ways each with their own little wins over the other but essentially on the same level although I should point out that a quick look at league positions over the last 10+ plus years would show we have consistantly out performed you in the league.

So why is there more expectation on Spurs? Why do the media by your own admission have more to say when you fall short? I think it is a little nieve to think that the geographical location of your club and an element of London bias doesn't figure in it.

The modern press isn't about deserve. It's about what sells. It's not as if all the Spurs stories are reviews of our games. It's usually speculation about where we will finish or what players we are buying and selling. It's the same with all entertainment, not just football. Eastenders, Big Brother or Strictly Come Dancing are all shit but constantly in the press. The press don't talk about the quality shows, they talk about the shows that have the biggest audiences.

Chicken and egg mate. Do the press write about Jordan because it sells or does it sell because that is what is printed and you have no choice? All I know is more often than not when I pick up a paper or turn on MoTD, Sky Sports News, Sunday Supplement etc I'm confronted with more talk about Spurs than is justified.

It has always been the same as long as I can remember ever since I was a kid so it has nothing to do with the modern media and far more to do with where the media are based.

I'm not saying the media are biased, but trying to explain why there is more media coverage. What you see as media bias, Spurs fans often see as a media hate campaign. I can't remember a single negative story about Villa/quote]

Do you not think the press being based in London and made up of a significantly higher number of Spurs supporting journalist than say a club like us or Sunderland has some influence upon this?

I accept your point that each fan base see things in a similar vain but the fact is other than last season we have never got any attention from the media. In order to do so we had to go 14 games unbeaten and hold a place in the top 4, this season though its back to being under the radar.

The difference is that in the media there is an expectation that Spurs should be up there that they should be challanging and they are always tipped to be. If they aren't it is as you say almost more headline news than if they are.

The same doesn't apply to Villa, never has done. Yes we got press last season but normally by and large we are ignored. Why is that? Because both clubs are similar in many many ways each with their own little wins over the other but essentially on the same level although I should point out that a quick look at league positions over the last 10+ plus years would show we have consistantly out performed you in the league.

So why is there more expectation on Spurs? Why do the media by your own admission have more to say when you fall short? I think it is a little nieve to think that the geographical location of your club and an element of London bias doesn't figure in it.

Chicken and egg mate. Do the press write about Jordan because it sells or does it sell because that is what is printed and you have no choice? All I know is more often than not when I pick up a paper or turn on MoTD, Sky Sports News, Sunday Supplement etc I'm confronted with more talk about Spurs than is justified.

It has always been the same as long as I can remember ever since I was a kid so it has nothing to do with the modern media and far more to do with where the media are based.

I guess you'd need to know what percentage of the media are Spurs fans. I can't tell you that. But the stuff about Spurs being up there is only a recent thing since Martin Jol. Prior to that the press spoke of us as if we were a joke, which we were. We were definitely seen as a mid table side for the decade prior to Jol and never spoken about as top 4 challengers. Back then it was Leeds and Newcastle who were seen as the main threat to the top clubs.

You could argue that in recent years the top 4 has been monopolised by the same clubs, so there is naturally always going to be media interest in a club that is most likely to break that monoploy. We came close and have since improved our sqaud, so it's understandable that at the beginning of each season they see us as a club that could break the top 4. I think during the summer the media would have portrayed us as the second most likely to do so, after Man City.

I'm sorry but this is pure crap. In fact, almost every single post you've made about Spurs is pure crap.

I've never met a Spurs fan that has tried to claim that Spurs are "on a par" with Arsenal. We're well aware of the gap between the two teams and just want to see our team strive to close that gap. But of course you'd have no idea what that's like as every one of your rivals is a small club that just can't compete. So even with Villa's lack of significant achievements in recent memory, they're still the most successful team in the Midlands by a clear distance. Hardly comparable to Spurs' situation, is it?

And jealous of Arsenal? No shit, Sherlock. One of the most successful clubs in my lifetime, of course I'd wish my club could emulate that kind of success. Don't you? Or are you completely satisfied with your club's performances over the last decade or so?

And yes, we take the piss out of Arsene Wenger. How is that any different to any other set of fans taking the piss out of any other manager? It's not. But your sad, deluded little hatred of Spurs can't let you see that, can it?

And just because Villa faded badly during the latter part of last season, doesn't mean it's going to happen to Spurs. There's absolutely no reason to think that we're suddenly going to decline. Our best player is soon to return from injury so, if anything, the team is only going to get stronger. And we've already played five of the six biggest teams in the country so far this season, the majority of which without our best player, and we're still sitting in third place at the moment.

As I've said before, I have nothing against Villa or the majority of Villa's fans and don't begrudge them any success that they achieve. But you, sir, are an imbecile.

And just because Villa faded badly during the latter part of last season, doesn't mean it's going to happen to Spurs. There's absolutely no reason to think that we're suddenly going to decline.

I don't disagree with the rest of what you've said, but this annoys me a little with Spurs fans. They always seems to think that nothing can happen to them to make them go on a bad run or anything. There's nothing to suggest you'll slip down the table, no, but there's nothing to suggest you will stay there either.

To be fair though, dude, I think the expectation comes from the amount of money Spurs have spent each summer for the last four or five years. Couple that with the fact that Spurs generally tend to finish a season on a high and we always perform very well in pre-season, it gives off a false sense of potential, which is usually wiped away quite quickly because, along with finishing a season in style, Spurs are also notorious for being incredibly slow starters.

Â