Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never particularly disliked Tottingham, their fans and ours have a lot in common. As much as that might be uncomfortable for some.

Supporters of big, but largely under-achieving clubs. To the extent that you come to develop a gallows-style sense of humour.

Most Tottenham fans I've met seem to have quite a high regard for the Villa, more so than -curiously- another similar sized club Everton. They seem to genuinely dislike us.

What I do find amusing- and I think this crystalizes the issue- is when you have media outlets like SSN running phone-ins with the centre piece topic being "Will this be the year that Spurs finally crack the top 4?" Finally? As if they've been knocking on the door since year dot?

Funny, as I look at the bulk of their Prem record -and indeed their league record for many seasons before that- and I see a team perennially treading water in mid-table. With only the odd cup outing and superstar signing breaking up the grey.

In contrast, during the same period- lets say early 90's -present we've challenged for the title twice, finished in the top 5 twice and the top 6 many other times. And bagged two LC wins.

But I guess it comes down to perception. Like it or not, we are an unfashionable club. A big club, yes. As big as most in the country. But Tottenham have featured in more FA Cup finals in recent decades, and always been prepared to push the boat out for the likes of Ardilles, Ricky Villa and Klinsmann. Thats always worth column inches. Though they've lacked the planning to get the best out of those talents to the full benefit of the team. Not unlike more recent Spurs sides, in fact.

They could buck that trend this year. If they produce peformances like they did against Wigan reserves and ourselves second half more often than not, they will be there or thereabouts. And as a football fan, I'd say they fully deserve it. More so than if we sneak through the back door with the kind of tactics we employed on Saturday. Or lack of.

One thing though, Redknapp is definitely a cant.

This.

Spot on.

Another thing that I've recently found out about Spurs fans is how they're so bitter and jealous to their superior neighbours. It's not like in a Small Heath way because Small Heath fans genuinely can accept we are the bigger and better team but Spurs fans think otherwise actually think they're some how on 'par' with Arsenal when they clearly have never been and never will. They constantly ridicule Wenger too (even though they have as Redknob as manager lol) saying this is and that, but it makes Spurs and Spurs fans look even more like a patheitic joke because since Wenger arrived at Arsenal Spurs have been through TWELVE managers and haven't spent double the amount on players than Arsenal have. It's just sad really... but at the same time funny lol.

Btw no way Spurs finishing in the top 4. Their fans now have got exactly the same excitement and genuine feeling we had this time last season about finishing 4th and we all know how that turned out... there's no reasons why it won't happen to Spurs.

I'm sorry but this is pure crap. In fact, almost every single post you've made about Spurs is pure crap.

I've never met a Spurs fan that has tried to claim that Spurs are "on a par" with Arsenal. We're well aware of the gap between the two teams and just want to see our team strive to close that gap. But of course you'd have no idea what that's like as every one of your rivals is a small club that just can't compete. So even with Villa's lack of significant achievements in recent memory, they're still the most successful team in the Midlands by a clear distance. Hardly comparable to Spurs' situation, is it?

And jealous of Arsenal? No shit, Sherlock. One of the most successful clubs in my lifetime, of course I'd wish my club could emulate that kind of success. Don't you? Or are you completely satisfied with your club's performances over the last decade or so?

And yes, we take the piss out of Arsene Wenger. How is that any different to any other set of fans taking the piss out of any other manager? It's not. But your sad, deluded little hatred of Spurs can't let you see that, can it?

And just because Villa faded badly during the latter part of last season, doesn't mean it's going to happen to Spurs. There's absolutely no reason to think that we're suddenly going to decline. Our best player is soon to return from injury so, if anything, the team is only going to get stronger. And we've already played five of the six biggest teams in the country so far this season, the majority of which without our best player, and we're still sitting in third place at the moment.

As I've said before, I have nothing against Villa or the majority of Villa's fans and don't begrudge them any success that they achieve. But you, sir, are an imbecile.

Ahh, oh dear, what's rattled your cage? Can't you not see the majority of people in this thread hate/dislike (however you want to put it) Spuds?

What I was trying to say is how I do not like how Spurs fans try and emulate that they're on 'par' on Arsenal; not in the sense of the actual team (because we've already seen Spuds get thumped by Arsenal) but in the sense of being as big, famous and prestigious. I cringe when a couple of people I know who support Tottenham actually think they're "The Pride of London"... it's just a very silly thing to say. Why support Tottenham when you can support Arsenal? It's the question I ask Birmingham City fans lol.

Also, there's a fine-line between having a bit of banter with an opposing manager than calling him a 'paedophile'. Why be so bitter, Wenger has done far far less to annoy everyone rather than your current manager.

OK, I said "there's no reason why Spurs won't do what we did last season" - why do you give off the vibe that you somehow have a better chance? Will you be leading the league in a few weeks time which we did last season? No. Will you still be in third position in February? No. We've done all that last season and still didn't finish 4th but still achieved all that... Spurs haven't achieved any of that yet so I'm not so sure why you don't think Spurs won't fall away; I'd say it's more likely for Spurs to fall away than actually finish 4th.

More Villa fans dislike Spurs than like them... we don't just dislike your club for no reason and just say it because everyone else says it. You can read through this entire thread to see why we don't like Spurs and then you can take a look at your small time club and ask yourself "Why do we have no problem with Villa and Villa fans but why don't Villa fans like our club or fans?".

P.S. Come on Macheda &co. knock Spurs out of their own cup tonight!

I've decided to support Spurs.

Superrrrrrrr Spurs Armmmmmmmy!!

Villa are poop guys. Come over to this side. We're so much better. A whole 3 points better. Even though we've been the second top spenders to Man City in the last 18 months. Harry has done it all from scratch though, what a manager. He's better than Fergie that kid, I'm telling you.

See you all at WHL!!!

EDIT: and oh Villa?! We could take any of your players any day, but we don't want any. They're all rubbish and wouldn't even get on our bench.

Of course you have taken into account the 70 odd million in player sales we have made in that time too?

And of Course O'Neil assembled your squad using vouchers he collected on packs of Walkers.

Spurs are self sufficient any money we spend, we generate so dont compare us with City eh? Just makes you look stupid.

One of my best mates is a Spurs fan, he's the only one I really know. He certainly doesn't. I think they tend to over-rate their players an awful lot (King, Woodgate, Huddlestone and Lennon are the worst for it) and they always think they're going to be challenging the top 4 (To be fair, if any clubs spends the kind of money that Spurs do, I'm sure their fans would be thinking the same), but I have never heard them say they're on par with Arsenal or anything.

King was an awesome player. Injuries unfortunately ruined what would've been an incredible career for him. There's no doubt in my mind if King didn't have his injury problems, he'd be a first choice starter for England and probably Man Utd. Thierry Henry even rated him as the greatest defender he's ever faced, which is some compliment.

Woodgate is a good player, but I wouldn't say we over rate him.

Huddlestone is in no way over-rated. A vast amount of fans think the cons outweigh the pros with him. In fact, from reading a few posts on this forum, I actually think Villa fans rate him higher than Spurs fans do.

And Lennon has been immense this season. But a season or two ago, a lot of fans wanted him dropped for Bentley, or even sold. So again, wouldn't say he's over-rated either.

What does strike me as odd is that you say you only know one Spurs fan, but you then go on to make a generalisation about Spurs fans.

Canavarro reckons Carew is the best player he's played against - some compliment too - but by christ its the opinion of one man. Footballing abilities are superb, yes, but it doesnt mean hes too clever with his words... a bit like Henry there.

King is the new McGrath!!!?

On the same basis, I am the new Messi.

The gulf in class between both comparisons being made is equal.

:lol: I love the way certain players gain this mythical status after a few years out of the game.

"He was seven foot tall you know, strong as a lion" :lol:

McGrath would piss all over King.

I love how certain players gain this mythical status after injury deprives them of their best years in the game, so the assumption is they would have actually been good.

Has Ledley King won PFA Player of the Year?

Of course not, he isn't a member of the sky four.

However his qualities are there for all to see, as a team we have won 12% more of games with him in the team than without him. He is quick, has good distribution, is a good tackler and is good in the air.

I really dont see what there is not to rate about him apart from his torrid time with his knee.

I watched McGrath play in my younger years and don't get me wrong he was good, really good but I feel he is elevated to this god like status because of his injuries and his ability to play absolutly hammered :lol:

If you would have watched McGrath week in week out you would fully appreciate the class of the player. Yes he had his low points, but when he was at his peak with us he was immense. His reading of the game was second to none, he was also a very skillful player with the ball. I remember little skillful backheels and flicks to safety.

I used to have a conversation with my Spurs supporting friend, who used to claim Mabbutt was as good as McGrath. Did Mabbutt win Player of the year? No! I'll admit Mabbutt was a good defender, but nothing special like McGrath. Again Ledley King, decent defender, but still not in McGraths class I'm afraid.

If you would have watched McGrath week in week out you would fully appreciate the class of the player. Yes he had his low points, but when he was at his peak with us he was immense. His reading of the game was second to none, he was also a very skillful player with the ball. I remember little skillful backheels and flicks to safety.

I used to have a conversation with my Spurs supporting friend, who used to claim Mabbutt was as good as McGrath. Did Mabbutt win Player of the year? No! I'll admit Mabbutt was a good defender, but nothing special like McGrath. Again Ledley King, decent defender, but still not in McGraths class I'm afraid.

Mabs and McGrath were different types of defender completely. Mabs was a blood and thunder defender, who wore his heart on his sleeve. Spurs legend but never as talented as Mcgrath.

King is a different kettle of fish to Mabs, he has all the attributes that Mabs didn't snd had to make up for with sheer endevour.

Â