PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

Overreactions? Really?

Yes, I'd say calling for the manager to go after one game is an overreaction. I also don't think that is the worst we've played ... but people's expectations keep on rising, so it just feels that way.

Some people also have axes to grind and points of view they wish to feel vindicated about.

I didn't enjoy today at all, well other than my meal in the Centenary Suite, but perspective is needed. We've never beaten Wigan at Villa Park, they are a bogey team for us.

I have no axe to grind. I've been firmly behind the man since he stepped foot into the club. Our club.

Since when do we come out on opening day looking beaten before a ball has even been kicked? For whatever reason, confidence and moral are on it's arse.

The defence hasn't gotten better, if anything they look worse as a unit than they did last season. Is that acceptable?

I thought Delph should start. I was wrong, but then I'm not a premier league football manager.

I dont know why today,but im totally at a loss to understand how a manager can play the same system since January and consider it to be successfull given the results.Im shocked to go into a new season and find the same system and the same result im really shocked.I want MON to stay but i need to see some changes in playing style to.I dont want Villa to win every match(although it would be nice)i just want to see some competitive football.

This is the first time I will say it...

I want Martin O´Neill out. Todays performance showed me that he has taken the club as far as he can with two consecutive 6th places.

Eh? This doesn't make sense at all. First of all you're saying that the showing of one game gives you enough info about how well we are going to do? You need to watch Villa more if you think this is as bad as it gets, we had worse performances last season FFS.

The team lack almost everything at the moment and I dont trust his tactical knowledge and I certainly dont trust him on the transfer market. His coaching ability is tops...but that is not enough in Premier League.

You say his transfer, etc. are all shit.. so would you please enlighten me on how exactly we changed from a relegation battling side to a consistant top 6 side. I can't wait to hear your reasons.

I was embarrassed today...

Wigan Athletic made us look like a joke. They had brilliant creativity in players like newly signed Gomez...absolutely brilliant crossings and passings from Figueroa and also a lethal striker in Rodallega. How a club like Wigan can find and attract those kind of players is beyond me...no..I correct myself...how a club like that can find those players..yet Villa misses out again and again. This small club found Esteban Valencia..and sold him with great profit in the summer. They rebuild and find new gems...

You make it sound like the likes of Ashley and Delph are terrible players. Yes, they had poor games today, but I'm sure Figueroa and Rodellega will have more than a few shite games. Also, why is it that you feel we should be beating Wigan if you feel their players are oh so much better than ours?

It is time Martin...I am actually sad to say...but it is time to leave. The gameplay is awful..the energy was shameful and the whole attitude in a opening day game suggest that they all have lost it at Villa Park!

Talk about biggest over-reaction ever! Who are 'all' of these people that have lost it at VP?

Sad to see MON go? We aint idiots mate, you're the first to jump on MON over everything you can.

I seriously dont know what to answer on this attack.

First. I have always admitted that I have been writing criticism towards MON...of course..it is there for everyone to see. However..and this is something you can check up if you have the guts to look at the truth...I have been critizising him for his transfer activity!

I have been hailing him for his performance to guide Villa to two consecutive 6th places and it is on this site for everyone to read also.

I think that morale in the team and the squad does a lot for a team on how good or bad they play. The morale and the spirit was absolutely gone at DOL´s team in the end and they didnt want to play for him anymore. No motivation...

I can see this coming for MON too..because the display today was as bad as the worst I saw under DOL.

I have not judged MON only on this performance...do you think I am crazy?? I have come to a position where I say enough is enough...

Martin O'Neill pulled no punches after seeing his side lose to Wigan, insisting: "We simply weren't good enough."

O'Neill accepted Villa were second best all afternoon as goals from Hugo Rodallega and Jason Koumas consigned his claret and blue troops to an opening day defeat.

He said: "I am disappointed more than frustrated. You can be frustrated if you feel you deserved something out of the game. But we didn't. After an initial 15 minutes, we were second best all afternoon.

"You can analyse everything but at the end of the day, we looked tired, which was a bit of surprise considering we had a good pre-season.

"But I'm not going to make excuses. We were beaten today. We should have been ready to go. It was very disappointing indeed.

"We were loose everywhere - we weren't good enough.

"The fans will be disappointed with the performance. People have mentioned the absence of Gareth Barry and Martin Laursen. This is a new team - we have to be ready for that.

"We were good enough last season to overcome a lot of hurdles on our way to finishing sixth and that's what we intend to do again."

The Villa boss also revealed he was not surprised by Wigan's impressive performance.

"They didn't surprise me at all. They have performed very well in all the pre-season games I have seen them play.

"They hit the post with one of their attacks and they gained great confidence from that. We lost composure and they scored a wonder goal. Even at half-time I thought we would get back into it but we just weren't there today."

MON Wigan Reaction

What the hell does he mean its a new side besides Delph & Beye who is new? Delph is going to be a good player I am sure of that but to expect him to come in straight away and perform on the premier league stage is expecting too much.

Martin mentioned in a recent interview that the team had lost its heart without Barry and Laursen and he is right. Now just bloody do something about it!

Overreactions? Really?

Yes, I'd say calling for the manager to go after one game is an overreaction. I also don't think that is the worst we've played ... but people's expectations keep on rising, so it just feels that way.

Some people also have axes to grind and points of view they wish to feel vindicated about.

I didn't enjoy today at all, well other than my meal in the Centenary Suite, but perspective is needed. We've never beaten Wigan at Villa Park, they are a bogey team for us.

There's no such thing as a bogey team. That infers there's some greater force at work, when the truth is that a manager in his first Premier League game outthought O'Neill completely.

Everytime Friedel got the ball, WHY THE **** AREN'T THE DEFENDERS SPREADING AND FULL BACKS PROVIDING AN OPTION!??!?!?!?

The guy standing behind me at the game was bellowing as loudly as he could (and spitting in my ear each time): RELEASE THE BALL FASTER FOR **** SAKE!!! to Friedel. Then when he did he'd scream obscenities that he'd given the ball away again.

Idiots, don't you love them :D

Is it really the right time for MON to go? Daft bastards!

I'm not so sure any more.

He has done a fantastic job getting us to where we are. Superb. But is he really the man to take us forward?

He obviously can't spot a defender to save his life, yet here we are two weeks from the end of the window in desperate need of a quality defender to steady the ship. Trust him to find that man do you?

I seriously dont know what to answer on this attack.

First. I have always admitted that I have been writing criticism towards MON...of course..it is there for everyone to see. However..and this is something you can check up if you have the guts to look at the truth...I have been critizising him for his transfer activity!

I have been hailing him for his performance to guide Villa to two consecutive 6th places and it is on this site for everyone to read also.

I think that morale in the team and the squad does a lot for a team on how good or bad they play. The morale and the spirit was absolutely gone at DOL´s team in the end and they didnt want to play for him anymore. No motivation...

I can see this coming for MON too..because the display today was as bad as the worst I saw under DOL.

I have not judged MON only on this performance...do you think I am crazy?? I have come to a position where I say enough is enough...

Attack? Get a grip mate.

So you feel the reason we are so succesful is because of a team spirit? Okay. :crylaugh:

There's no such thing as a bogey team.

Seriously? We must have pissed in the tea of some gypsies from Oldham and Leicester then. Two teams that we could never ever beat. Thank Christ they got relegated eventually, hopefully Wigan can go join them in another league sooner or later :winkold:

Mind you Wigan played very well today, impressive stuff, although the time wasting did piss me off no end.

Do you know what is really starting to piss me off the most about O'Neill? Its his one **** single tactical change that he has up his sleeve, take a full back off, stick a winger in his place and bring on another midfielder. Can anyone remember a single **** occasion when this has actually worked for us? It is simply the most pathetic desperation tactic I think I've ever witnessed and he pulls it out every **** time.

The debates have raged many a time over his decisions in the transfer market but nobdy seems to talk about his **** shite tactics.

Oh and I'm sick to death of us playing hoof ball, of Ashley Young lying on the floor crying like a **** bitch and then getting up to over hit another cross. I could go on but frankily there was so much shite on display today to talk about I would be here all night, that was a disgrace of a performance.

Friedel 6- Good saves kept us at a decent scoreline but should have done a lot better for the goal. His best days are behind him but I felt slightly sorry for him today standing in fornt of that shambles.

Beye 5- Caught out a couple of times and didn't look too confident on the ball. That said he was far from the worst today.

Shorey 2- That's for just for turning up I think. Couldn't find a Villa shirt on the ball. At fault for at least the first goal. Just rubbish honestly.

Davies 3- Looks completely lost, piss poor with the ball at his feet as well. No position and let their striker run off him too many times. Not tight enough to their team.

Cuellar 5- Better than Davies. Won a few headers but was part of a collective defence that was woeful so he can't have been that good and wasn't.

Milner 5- Worked hard at the start but faded right out of the game.

Young 2- Was awful I thought. Moaned and whinged and ran into players, doesn't release it quick enough. You're having a laugh if he is the future for England on that showing.

Delph 3- Looked out of his depth, lost the ball a couple of times in crucial areas. Luckily it was only his first game and I'm sure he'll improve.

Petrov 4- Looked lost as well. Completely overrun and not strong enough in the tackle I thought. That said he was better than some.

Agbonlahor 2- See Young.

Heskey 4- Ran about but was the same old Heskey. Lacklustre and no goal threat.