PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

About the booing:

I'm a total noob to the PL but my impression has been that the supporters are the heart of the club moreso than in in any other sport. The fans were there before the current players and administration and will still be there after they are gone. The fans have every right to show their disapproval when it is deserved. It was well deserved today. It was a horrible loss at home to a team that some have tagged for relegation. Now, if we had played well and lost on a PK in the final minute and the fans booed the loss, that would be different.

There is nothing wrong with fans making their feelings clear about the play of their team.

It showed how much we missed barry today. Van der vaart is a 'must buy' for me, we need creativity. We failed in every aspect to break wigan down, van der vaart wuld have found ways. We need another quality degender hopefully from aboad because im not impressed with the names mentioned from the premier league. We have to buy stephen warnock too. Swap shorey plus 3 - 4 mil for warnock.

We'll finish mid table if we play like that this season and don't bring in some quality signings. It's not me being fickle, it's just the truth.

Don't take this the wrong way, but who exactly do you think we can beat playing like we did? We are showing relagation scrap form if you take our last 1/3 of last seaon combined with what we played today.

Its a worry.

Yes it was a poor performance, no argument there, but how on earth is booing going to help the team?

I'm sat at home booing my laptop

It helps to make me feel better, not sure I'm too bothered what the players feel after today

So you're happy for the Morale to be lower than it should be after 1 game?

I dont think me booing my laptop had any affect on the morale or the performance to be honest

if they play like that they deserve all the abuse they get. That was truly shocking

Champions League? No chance, absolutely no chance.

Friedel - 5

Beye - 5

Cuellar - 5

Davies - 4

Shorey - 2

Milner - 6

Petrov - 4

Delph - 5

Young - 2(Over exaggerating yes, but I expect much more from the "young player of the year")

Heskey- 5

Gabby - 4

Sidwell - 5

Fonz --

Albrighton - 5

Why wasn't NRC starting?

well also lets consider investment in the side. How much did Wigans cost, how much did ours, and what are our respective ambitions?

It should be a nailed on 3 points. I'd be disappointed but could "accept", just not having the luck as we did in the 0-0 draw last season when we battered them. We should not be outplayed by them.

I thought Wigan were excellent today. We should not take anything away from them.

We should, really, be taking three points away from them

Just because they are called Wigan?

NO, because our players are better than theirs, cost massively more than theirs, get paid massively more than theirs and allegedly have aspirations to be a top six side

They have sold their best four or five players and lost their manager over the past few months

If we are a top six side, Wigan are going to win the League

Yes it was a poor performance, no argument there, but how on earth is booing going to help the team?

I'm sat at home booing my laptop

It helps to make me feel better, not sure I'm too bothered what the players feel after today

So you're happy for the Morale to be lower than it should be after 1 game?

I dont think me booing my laptop had any affect on the morale or the performance to be honest

if they play like that they deserve all the abuse they get. That was truly shocking

Champions League? No chance, absolutely no chance.

I was referring to you not being bothered about how the players felt, and their morale being lower than it should be after one game.

You can boo all you like at home :-)

I thought Wigan were excellent today. We should not take anything away from them.

For **** sake how much Wigan spent net over the last few years? How long have they been in the premiership?

I would be upset if we were beaten by Man Utd or Chelsea like that never mind Wigan.

Yes they were good, but we were awful. The way we lost was a disgrace.

People criticising other fans booing seems weird to me after that performance. If we had put in the fight and gone down with some real effort then fair enough. But that was a truly abject performance that cannot be excused, if we cannot 'boo' the players when they play like that then god knows what the world is coming to.

I understand the arguement that it cannot help but the fans and the players are there to lift each other. If they dont show the effort and application then why should we. What should the reaction have been after the game today? Polite applause? A rousing cheer? or walk away quietly?

It was as bad a performance I can remember under Martin and he probably knows it as well.

why start your biggest goal threat as substitute???

John Carew injured himself in the warm up so was replaced by Delfounso on the bench.

still doesn't explain the decision to not start him prior to injury.

I understand the arguement that it cannot help but the fans and the players are there to lift each other. If they dont show the effort and application then why should we. What should the reaction have been after the game today? Polite applause? A rousing cheer? or walk away quietly?

Personally i would have walked away quietly. I don't get booed when i have a bad day at work, so why would i boo anyone else, unless it's the pantomime baddy at Xmas?

It's the booing during the game that i am referring too, not after the final whistle, you can't have an impact on the result then.

No, because we are working to a budget that they can only dream of.

The worst performance since Randy arrived.

Friedel - 5 - Looked baffled.

As a unit I wouldn't trust our back four to defend Mother Theresa on an assault charge. As Individuals:

Shorey - 6 - The best of our back four for me today, at times he reached the dizzy heights of steady.

Cuellar - 4 - Not big enough, not quick enough, not good enough in the air, not a leader and not good enough on the ball. Other than that...

Davies - 4 - A shambles today. Completely unable to judge the flight of a ball or read an opposition player. Dreadful.

Beye - 5 - One or two decent things, but doesn't look the solid defensive full back that this back four needs.

As a group, they received absolutely no cover at all from our midfield, which featured a 19 year old and three players who are really much more suitable for a 4-5-1

Young - 4 - Great with the ball at his feet, today his crossing wasn't good enough and his decision making was poor. That'll come I think as he settles into the season. What was much more worrying was his attitude, this was a player that seemed to think he was better than the game. He was eventually booked for a foul, but Mr Clattenberg would have been entirely justified in writing whingeing, diving, cry baby in the notebook. He's in danger of becoming a player I love, but don't like very much. He needs to catch a look at himself.

Petrov - 4 - not mobile enough for a 4-4-2 in my opinion. Solid on the ball, good passing, but can't follow runners and can't get into the box. Perfectly suited to a 4-5-1.

Delph - 6 - So-so debut, I thought he looked nervous but energetic and he got around the place and got involved. Not a great game to make a debut in, especially at 19.

Milner - 7 - Best of our midfield, so obviously a perfect candidate to go into the back four.

They received no support from a front two of

Heskey - 4 - Gave us a target, but looked as likely to score as Gordon Brown at Flares.

Agbonlahor - 1 - This is the worst performance I've ever seen from Gabby. I'm a big fan and come into this season with high hopes for him, but he'll need to do much, much better than this. Good players impose their personality on the game; there are games that revolve around Carew and his strength, Young and his trickery, even Reo Coker and his energy, good players make the game about the thing they do well. Nothing at all came from Gabby today, he may be capable of a lot more on a football pitch than Michael Gambon, but today either would have been equally effective.

Now, I'm not usually one for rants and I know this is one, but this is truly worrying. All credit to Wigan who performed well and should be comfortably safe from relegation this season, but we looked shambolic.

Disorganised, without a plan, lazy and unmotivated we look like an accident waiting to happen.

A crowd of a little over 35,000 suggests that the lack of enthusiasm on the pitch is reflected across the city. The Randylution has stalled.

Martin O'Neill will need to turn things around very quickly because I get the sense that he is losing the crowd very quickly and I'm not sure he's even noticed.

This is as bad as I've felt about a Villa side for several years.

It's the booing during the game that i am referring too, not after the final whistle, you can't have an impact on the result then.

Thats fair enough and I agree that the booing during the game is counter productive. The fans in my opinion are right to show dissaproval after the game.

I do not think you can compare your line of work to that of a footballer (unless you are one of course!).

Friedel: 7 – Couldn’t do much about the first goal and a little unfortunate with the second. Only really player to come out with much credit on today’s performance.

Beye: 5 – Started brightly but faded in the second half. Was rightly substituted but I feel will com good.

Shorey: 3 – He was shown up today against players with speed. He is two slow but did make a few good recovery runs.

Cueller: 5 – Does not know how to cover his defensive partner and cannot pass the all under and sort of pressure. He needs to learn to drop and cover when Davies steps forward.

Davies: 4 – I believe he has been hanging around too many pubs in the off season.

Petrov: 4 – I was disappointed when he was given the captaincy ahead of NRC and I think I was proved right today. He is not a captain of any sorts; not drive and was lost today. He must have been missing his buddy today.

Delph: 4 – Too early for him today. He tried but was just not up to speed. He is going to come good though.

Milner: 6 – He tried and tried but could not make it happen. He seemed more effective when he came inside. He was very frustrated at the end of the game. I am sure it was down to his own performance.

Young: 5 – Showed a lot of attacking skills today but just wouldn’t pass the ball when it was needed.

Gabby: 4 - Still doesn’t know how to move off the ball. He still has his speed!!!

Heskey: 5 – He was one of the few who have given their all today just wasn’t good enough. He didn’t have much support but created our best chance in the second half.

Subs: 5 – They did what they could.

MON: 4 – Poor decision to play Delph in front NRC and not getting the left back position sorted. He looked out of ideas and very dejected at the end of the game.

Fans who booed: 0 – That’s really going to help.

What people have to realize is that Wigan is made up of players who a lot of Villa fans on here wouldn’t even sign. Bramble and Koumas have both been scoffed at but out played our players today. Villa need to sign players who can do a job and not have a fancy name.

I have been a coach for many years and truly believe you have to play the formation to suit your players. MON doesn’t do that and plays what was good for Clough when he was a player. MON, you have to bring in NRC or equivalent in as captain or this could be a very long season. We need leadership and we had zero today. We need to switch to 451 until we have players who can play 442. He will need o upset players when they sit on the bench but if the players don’t wish to fight and do what’s best for Villa then move them on.

i agree.

we dont have the team for a 4-4-2 we should play 4-5-1 and when were a few goals up we can switcc to 4-3-3 to stretch the defence. the only positive was that this will prove to mon and the club we need more players asap. sidwell, petrov and coker should play in midfield.

the way we got beat today was exactly what we needed to bring us back to reality