PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

This is the first time I will say it...

I want Martin O´Neill out. Todays performance showed me that he has taken the club as far as he can with two consecutive 6th places.

The team lack almost everything at the moment and I dont trust his tactical knowledge and I certainly dont trust him on the transfer market. His coaching ability is tops...but that is not enough in Premier League.

I was embarrassed today...

Wigan Athletic made us look like a joke. They had brilliant creativity in players like newly signed Gomez...absolutely brilliant crossings and passings from Figueroa and also a lethal striker in Rodallega. How a club like Wigan can find and attract those kind of players is beyond me...no..I correct myself...how a club like that can find those players..yet Villa misses out again and again. This small club found Esteban Valencia..and sold him with great profit in the summer. They rebuild and find new gems...

It is time Martin...I am actually sad to say...but it is time to leave. The gameplay is awful..the energy was shameful and the whole attitude in a opening day game suggest that they all have lost it at Villa Park!

Friedel - 5 maybe could've done better but not the worst performer.

Beye - 6 Looked alright.

Davies - 2 Woeful. A Championship player at best.

Cuellar - 3 Poor. An SPL defender who struggles with the pace and movement of the PL.

Shorey - 2 Rubbish. And so slow.

Milner - 6 Probably our best player.

Petrov - 6 Some nice touches and bits of skill but there was no movement ahead of him.

Delph - 6 Got potential, but should not of played today as a starter.

Young - 2 Poor again. I'm getting fed up of his greed, and persistent diving. His delivery was also very poor today!

Gabby - 3 Ineffective.

Heskey - 3 Ineffective.

Albrighton - Seemed lively.

Fonzie - Not much chance to shine.

Sidwell - Missed a great chance, that's about it.

O'Neill - 2 Tactics are wrong, lack of cohesion in the team and no direction. Three months later and nothing has changed we still play the same way = 'hoofball'.

This is going to be a long season and I initially though we'd be lucky to get top six again before today's match but now I'd say we look a mid-table team.

Wigan deserved the win and it probably should have been three or four nil to them.

We've never beaten Wigan at Villa Park, so anybody expecting to stuff them was being a little ambitious. We did the usual Villa thing, though, of dropping our performance level to the oppositions standard. They looked rubbish for 20 minutes, so our performance dropped.

Too little drive from our midfield, too little control shown by our players. The back four looked like they had never played together before ... but then they hadn't! Beye looks promising, I think Cuellar played okay apart from a couple of silly clearances but Davies and Shorey were woeful. Shorey should be shipped out pronto.

We didn't play like this in pre-season, we interchanged more, showed better ball retention -- so why did we revert to type?

MON will get it sorted out, I am sure. We already knew we were weak in the centre of the team (midfield and defence) so this will be a reminder to Mr Lerner of the necessity of spending in those areas, if a reminder was needed.

Very few plus points from this game. Cuellar and Beye looked promising. Friedel made some good saves (as well as letting in the softest goal ever). Petrov was average, didn't impose himself on the game at all. Delph and Ashley Young tried to do too much. Gabby had no service other than the flicks from Heskey, who played pretty well given the scraps he had to play with. Milner worked hard but no end product.

If I were MON the biggest worry I'd have is that 19 year old rookie Delph was the one exhorting his colleagues to try harder, to do better. Some of our players are too quiet, we need somebody not afraid to say some harsh words to their colleagues.

How many of you really thought Delph would start?I didnt.Two in the middle and one straight from league one?MON could have helped Delph by using a 451 and given the kid some support because he was out of his depth otherwise.

That's the worst Villa performance I've seen at VP in 3 years of holding a season ticket, this is the 4th im already thinking it's a waste of money. That was awful on so many levels

How many of you really thought Delph would start?I didnt.Two in the middle and one straight from league one?MON could have helped Delph by using a 451 and given the kid some support because he was out of his depth otherwise.

I agree surely Coker must of started with Petrov in the middle peopel who knew each other...Idiotic Decision from O Neill....But then again he bought Emile Heskey :shock:

I want Martin O´Neill out. Todays performance showed me that he has taken the club as far as he can with two consecutive 6th places.

The team lack almost everything at the moment and I dont trust his tactical knowledge and I certainly dont trust him on the transfer market. His coaching ability is tops...but that is not enough in Premier League.

Wigan Athletic made us look like a joke. They had brilliant creativity in players like newly signed Gomez...absolutely brilliant crossings and passings from Figueroa and also a lethal striker in Rodallega. How a club like Wigan can find and attract those kind of players is beyond me...no..I correct myself...how a club like that can find those players..yet Villa misses out again and again. This small club found Esteban Valencia..and sold him with great profit in the summer. They rebuild and find new gems...

It is time Martin...I am actually sad to say...but it is time to leave. The gameplay is awful..the energy was shameful and the whole attitude in a opening day game suggest that they all have lost it at Villa Park!

Spot on. I've held my tongue and held my patience with regards to MON since Blackburn Away last season, but it seems like nothing has changed. We're worryingly short of ideas and the transfer window - in terms of preparing us for the new season - has been a disaster so far.

Yes, there's still 2 weeks till the window closes but the season has already started and we're not ready. That's not good enough.

I thought losing Martin Laursen would be tough, but that we'd unearth someone to have a go at filling his boots. I was wrong.

I thought Gareth Barry's departure would see us add more steel and mobility to our midfield, maybe even change our style of play. I was wrong there too.

Tactically inept, and lacking in motivation. Very, very worrying.

Too little drive from our midfield, too little control shown by our players. The back four looked like they had never played together before ... but then they hadn't

One new player in the back four? Three out of four of them have played together and looked as bad as ever.

Wasn't impressed by Delph but he should be given a break but Ashley Young was shockingly bad.

utter utter crap, thats all i can manage right now. No attacking mentalitly, Delph was way out of his depth, his passing was woeful. Heskey, despite pre season was a pile of wank, and MON as usual done subs too late/shit

At last. A post you have been wanting to make for 3 years I'd suggest.

ON today's game, yes it is one game and yes it is the first game of the season BUT, it carry's on the form of last season and in terms of the start of this season represented perhaps our best chance of three points in the first four or five games. If we are not careful our season could be over before we start.

Any idea that the club may have had of getting away with only spending 20M or so, or just two more defenders and everything will be ok has to now change. In the next two weeks we have to sign some real talent and that means

Left back

two CBs

a central midfielder

a striker - it has to be obvious that without carew we have nothing to offer up front we need attacking options

Yes MON is to blame for a lot of this, BUT where is his employer, where is the management from above

Does anybody really question MONs sanity?

Not sure what to think. We were poor, no question about that, but Wigan played well and the extra man in midfield halped them out. Young seemed to try and win the game on his own and surely frustrated his team mates. Beye was okay in the first half but looked so, so poor in the 2nd. The referee didn't have a clue at all, not just against us but in general. Kirkland should have been sent off for his foul on Heskey, just because advantage is played doesn't mean the card still shouldn't be shown! Not a good day out, to top it off I had some absoloute tossers behind me who seemed to enjoy slagging the team off, despite not knowing the names of half of them. Great.

I didnt expect to stuff wigan but i did expect a competitive game.The back four struggled,could this be because the midfield two were not able to offer any support,if we are so weak in the middle would it have been wise for MON to play three in there?I have nothing against Friedel but i want to see more of Guzan.Petrov struggled because he was the onlyone in midfield with experience and yes Young tried to do to much because we have no other threat.Yes the front two got scraps,Heskey only had one good chance and he drove it wide.I would love to see a Captain with drive at Villapark.

Great Post

Great Post

This is the first time ive felt like this to,and it hurts.I like MON i like Randy Lerner but i love ASTON VILLA.

Does anyone think Ashley is playing for a move?

Keeps playing like he did today he won't get in our team let alone a move to one of the big boys.

He's got all the talent in the world, but he's such a **** fairy. He needs to stay on his feet aswell, goes down far too easily, at times it's embarrassing, and he's better than that.

Come Ash, sort it out!

An absolute **** shamble. My confidence in the team and the manager has been rocked, big time.

3 months of this now. I was looking forward to a fresh start, it looks like we've gone backwards.

Tick, tock, tick, tock. Someone is on borrowed time all of a sudden for me....

Also, who-ever boo'ed at half time can **** right off. Boo'ing isnt going to help the players one bit!!!! And for the guy in the upper holte, shouting 'heskey ur shit' all game, **** off to the away section then!!

We need to improve, attack attack and defence is needed. At no point did we seriously look like we wanted the win!!

Hmm some overreactions here, but if it helps you feel better post away. I'm going to find some beer :D Oh and I would bet MON is as angry as many of you about his team strolling around and showing such little desire.

Mind you I think we, the fans in the crowd, could have done more to support the team. All that booing wouldn't make me play better, let me tell you.

Some ratings:

Friedel 6 - some good saves, silly goal given away.

Beye 6 - looks promising, tired second half.

Shorey 3 - get rid please!

Davies 4 - not the same without Laursen next to him.

Cuellar 6 - a couple of silly clearances aside he played well.

Petrov 5 - not at his best.

Delph 6 - tried hard, positional sense needs to improve.

Ashley Young 5 - also tried hard, but wasn't on his game today.

Milner 6 - worked hard, no end product.

Gabby 6 - worked hard, no service though.

Heskey 7 - best Villa player on the pitch.

I think we were set up for a defensive Wigan, tactics were wrong but undoubtedly the players underperformed.