PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

Wigan played very well, but the fact is we have to be beating teams like Wigan - particularly at home - if we want to compete with our rivals.

Obviously a very poor start to the season. Hopefully we can turn it around quickly, maybe with a couple of signings.

Friedel – 5.5

I wasn't overly impressed with Big Brad today. Despite making one or two decent saves, I don't feel so comfortable with him between the sticks and I'm all for giving Guzan a test. However, Friedel does have experience and such a move could backfire. I'd also like to see how both 'keepers perform behind a more settled defence.

Beye – 6

Not an awful performance from the debutant, but I feel he was caught missing defensively once or twice.

Cuéllar – 6

I thought Carlos made some good challenges, but once again his partnership with Davies didn't look too firm.

Davies – 5

Not a good performance. I don't know if it's because of his shoulder injury, lack of confidence or both, but I'm sure there's a better player in Curtis. Something tells me he needs a break, both mentally and physically. Yes, he's had the summer, but I think we'd fare much better with another player in his position that we could replace him with at times like this. For this reason I really hope we sign a top-class central defender before the end of the month. The sooner, the better, of course.

Shorey – 5

Almost a four. Looked back to his poor form from when he first arrived. Not closing down quickly enough, and I was less than impressed with his passing today, too.

Milner – 7

Despite sending a couple of free-kicks skywards, I thought Jimmy gave a typical committed performance today.

Petrov – 6

He's not an out-and-out defensive midfielder. He's not an out-and-out attacking midfielder. He's a bloody good passer though, and (like it or not) our captain, so maybe we should be accommodating him in a 4-5-1? NRC destroying, Petrov collecting and spreading the play, and a choice of Milner, Young, Downing, Albrighton and Delph supporting the front man. Whether Carew, Heskey or Agbonlahor would be happy with this though, I'm not so sure.

Delph – 6

Showed some potential, but didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck – not that I'd expect him to in his PL debut.

Young – 5

He is a fantastic player, but wasted so many opportunities today. Was relatively unlucky with his late miss in front of what seemed like an open goal, but so many times he lost the ball for us today and didn't look up. He was more like NRC, with inferior defensive abilities, today.

Agbonlahor – 5.5

Not particularly impressed with Gabby today. Didn't really get into the game, but didn't get great service, either. Should have taken a touch when through on goal at one point, but let the ball bounce.

Heskey – 6

No great contributions from Emile, either. Could have done a better job holding up the ball against a physical side. Unfortunately, we didn't have the option to bring Carew on.

Subs

Sidwell – 6

Had a good chance with an unmarked header, but didn't even get it on target. Hassled quite a bit, but nothing to write home about from Steve.

Alrbighton – 6

Looked bright, but didn't feature all that much.

Delfouneso – 6

No real impact. Still don't think he's fully ready for top-flight football yet anyway, but I'd happily be proven wrong.

Friedel 5. Poor for the 2nd, and looked shaky at moments. Brad 2 may start vs Vienna, and if he plays well, could keep the spot.

Beye 6. Not sure who was at fault for 2, but I think he got dragged inside and no-one covered Koumas. Otherwise okay.

Cuellar 5.5 Slightly better than Davies but iffy.

Davies 5. Very iffy at times.

Shorey 4. Please replace.

Milner 7. Best player in 1st half, faded when put out of position in 2nd

Petrov 5. Over-run

Delph 5. See Petrov

Young 5. Wasteful, one of his worst performances.

Agbonlahor 5. No supply

Heskey 5. Didn't make the ball stick up front enough.

Sidwell 6. Added a bit and got into good positions. Should've scored header.

Albrighton 6.5. Quite positive, but game was lost when he came on. Still, promising league debut.

Delfouneso -. Didn't have much time.

Other points. O'Neill needed to sort out the midfield at half time but didn't. We were over-run there and never addressed it. Also wish he'd stop doing the substitutions where he takes off a full back, but then just makes a midfielder play there. Milner was best attacking threat, but ended up having to cover RB. Should've taken Gabby off for Albrighton, and Young would've pushed up, with Milner and Marc on the wings.

Utterly depressing, obviously. Crushes all pre-season optimism and we really need to bounce back quick in the first games in Europe. Liverpool away is not the ideal league fixture to follow this!

Don't be fooled by the name 'Wigan', they were excellent today. Didn't see them put a single foot wrong. Not a very good day for Villa to be completely useless in every aspect of the game.

Its a club who have sold 4 of there best 5 players in the last 2 windows and lost there manager.

Dont be fooled by Wigan, fuckoff.

Wigan were excellent today, No? You disagree? They ran us ragged, they hit the post, had one cleared off the line, the missed a one-on-one, they controlled the tempo, they ran the show. 3 or 4 would have been a fairer result.

nope we was shit

I don't deny that for a second. Doesn't mean the opposition weren't good today does it?

First thing - Nicky Shorey should not be allowed near the football pitch on a matchday. I'd prefer to play with a back three than have to sit there shouting 'what the **** are you doing, Shorey?' for an entire game.

Second - this is probably the first game I've openly and vocally slated Ash. What point he was trying to prove today I'm not sure, but ignoring everyone else, trying to take on 3 players and sulking when it doesn't pay off is utterly frustrating to watch. Played for himself and his own 'vendetta' today, really was not playing for the team.

Next - strikers were anonymous, but that probably has to do with the mindless hoofball that was coming from the other end of the park. I won't even talk any more about our defence as I'm sure everyone else noticed how absolutely lost they looked most of the time.

Finally - as I said before the game, MON seriously needs to bring in some more bodies before this month is out. Perhaps half the reason why the players seemed like they couldn't be arsed today is the fact that we have lost two key players and replaced neither. We need a couple of big-name players to rejuvinate confidence and replace the skill that we have lost.

I'm not going to overreact and say MON needs to go or anything, but I can really see many people calling for his head come Christmas if we've bought in no more bodies and are still playing the atrocious excuse for football that we saw today. This was (and still is) probably MON's biggest transfer window, which, so far, has been incredibly underwhelming considering the importance of the players that we lost and overall size of the squad.

Don't be fooled by the name 'Wigan', they were excellent today. Didn't see them put a single foot wrong. Not a very good day for Villa to be completely useless in every aspect of the game.

Its a club who have sold 4 of there best 5 players in the last 2 windows and lost there manager.

Wigan were excellent today, No? You disagree? They ran us ragged, they hit the post, had one cleared off the line, the missed a one-on-one, they controlled the tempo, they ran the show. 3 or 4 would have been a fairer result.

A shit side would not have done that.

Yes which is a disgrace.

I would have said i was very disappointed with the booing today, however after reading these forums over the summer i am not surprised one bit.

Yes it was a poor performance, no argument there, but how on earth is booing going to help the team?

we are now 90 minutes into the season and the attitude of some so called fans is that we are fighting a relegation battle!

We ended the game with a handful of youngsters on the pitch, how do you think they would take the booing?

Young, who we all know can be awesome on his day was booed, what do you think he will make of that? and where will his thoughts go when one of the big clubs like Chelsea or Utd come in for him, would he go to them or stay here where he gets booed when he is having an off day?

The atmosphere was somber from the minute the team walked out on the pitch like there was some bad hangover from last year. We actually started the game really well, but as soon as Wigan had one attack you could hear the atmosphere get sapped out of the ground and from there on it was all down hill.

At 2-0 down with well over 30mins left in the game, you would expect the home crowd to really get behind their team and create an atmosphere to get the team motivated more and really back into the game, especially on the 1st day of the season, I think Villa Park is the only place in the Premier that this doesn't happen, we just sit all somber and start booing the team making matters worse.

A very poor performance indeed and i think more so as a lot of people were hoping for a dominant performance today to banish the ghost's of Laursen and Barry.

Having said that, the fans there on match day really need to take a look at the part they are also playing in knocking the morale out of the team.

Today was like the season was over before it even started, we need to put today behind us and more than ever start to get behind the team, with or without new players in (Hopefully with)!

Bad day for more than one reason, but lets get our season started at Vienna and lets get behind the boys!!

UTV!

Ratings

Friedal 7 - Made some good saves that really kept the score down and had no chance with the 1st

Shorey 3 - Very poor probably not helped when the booing started, although he was just as poor before it

Cuellar 5

Davies 4 - We really need someone decent in here

Beye 5 - didn't do much wrong, but didn't do much right

Milner 7 - probably our best player

Young 5 - poor delivery every time, however he constantly had 2 or 3 men on him as soon as he got the ball

Petrov 6 - got over run a bit in the middle, probably down to having a youngster next to him

Delph 4 - missing for most of the time on the park, really should be starting a few games on the bench before starting the game

Gabby 3 - was he there today? Bramble had the better of him for christ's sake

Heskey 4 - shame Carew got injured in the warm up, surely he will start the next game, won't he???

Subs

Sidwell 7 - made a difference when he came on, shame all the booing had put the rest of the team off

Albrighton 6 - looked pretty decent and really got stuck in, unlicky Sidwell didn't get on his superb cross

Delf 5 - not really long enough to do anything

nope we was shit

Which he admitted in his origninal post.

Although we were very poor, Wigan did what they needed to, and did it really well.

anyway ratings then

Friedel 6

Beye 5

Shorey 3

Davies 3

Cuellar 5

Milner 5

Delph 5

Petrov © 4

Young A 2 - just beyond a joke for a man of his supposed talents

Heskey 4

Agbonlawho 3

Albrighton 5

Delfouneso 5

Sidwell 5

MoN 2

why start your biggest goal threat as substitute???

John Carew injured himself in the warm up so was replaced by Delfounso on the bench.

But would have started on the bench.

Yes it was a poor performance, no argument there, but how on earth is booing going to help the team?

I'm sat at home booing my laptop

It helps to make me feel better, not sure I'm too bothered what the players feel after today

I think MoN's loyalty to Petrov could royally **** us over to be honest. Reo Coker should have started, no question in my mind.

I agree. Petrov can play in a 5 across but will struggle this season in a 4. Saying that he did well last year but I think making him captain will be the problem.

Just got back.

Friedel - 5 - Couldn't really do anything about either goal, and made a couple of decent saves.

Beye - 4 - Gave the ball away needlessly on a number of occasions. Looked quite solid in the first half but in the second he didn't do anything of note.

Cuellar - 4 - Positioning was poor. Doesn't look like the replacement for Laursen that people said he could be at all. Good in the air today, that's about it.

Davies - 2 - Absolute shit. Looked exactly like he did against Leicester when he branded himself a "pub player."

Shorey - 1 - WHAT THE ****. That's all I need to say.

Milner - 6 - Worked hard, but it was a shame that his hard work didn't really pay off because of the performance of the team as a whole. Two free kicks in the second half were piss poor.

Delph - 5 - Sloppy pass nearly led Rodallega in for a goal. But apart from that he looked promising. But it's unfair to judge him on this game. Unfair by O'Neill to play him really.

Petrov - 5 - Not even half the player of last season today. Contract and captaincy look like they went to his head. Got in and about Wigan but never really looked like anything special.

Young - 5 - A few flashes of brilliance but apart from that nothing. Spent quite alot of the game on the floor.

Agbonlahor - 1 - JOKE. LAZY. SHIT. That is all.

Heskey - 4 - Decent effort, but alot of the knockdowns were either poor or nobody near him. Dunno if that's due to Gabby's laziness or positioning...

Subs

Sidwell - 5 - Looked pretty decent when he came on but should of scored the clear header.

Delfouneso - 4 - Too little time to do anything.

Albrighton - 5 - Looked quite tidy on the ball and top delivery. Good prospect.

All in all it was a shocking performance. Wigan looked like they wanted it more, and looked like a more quality side on the ball. Some of their movement was quality. Jordi Gomez ran the midfield, says it all when he came from **** Swansea City.

Martin you've had 2 months to get the squad ready. We've brought a player injured till December, a promising youngster, and a back up right back from **** Newcastle. How hard it can be to put solid bids in for the quality we need to take us further I don't know. I don't give two **** if there are 2 weeks of the transfer window left. We miss Barry and Laursen so much. You can look at it from loads of angles but the main reason we lost the game today was a lack of leadership and determination which Laursen and Barry always gave. The defensive unit was an absolute disgrace. It looked like they'd just been thrown in without any preparation/training in pre-season. MASSIVE improvement needed if we want to challenge for the top 6, let alone the top 4. We'll finish mid table if we play like that this season and don't bring in some quality signings. It's not me being fickle, it's just the truth.

I'm sat at home booing my laptop

It helps to make me feel better, not sure I'm too bothered what the players feel after today

So you're happy for the Morale to be lower than it should be after 1 game?