PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

I can't see how people can't see what we're doing this season!

Part 1 of the plan - Make everyone think we're shit after an awful opening day game.

Part 2 of the plan - Unleash a 37 game win streak.

Simple really, we're already half way through the plan. The title is as good as ours.

I was thinking that! Shorey is just joking around, he's actually about to play CM and score at least 20 league goals.

I think it's a bit 50/50 with him. He dives alot, but there's an awful amount of time he just gets smached or kicked to the ground and nothings given.

True to an extent, but I just feel he has to take it and get on with the game. Sulking around the pitch or dropping his head makes him more of a liability - and then he ends up picking pointless yellow cards.

Darren Bent :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

THIS!!!

do we have the money though thats what id like to no..
Randy has been quoted saying the funds are there, I think MON is too prudent for his own good.
So how is the ownwr managing the manager who is employed to utilise the best resources of the club and take us forward to an agreed plan.

MON is a good manager. Good managers like good players do not suddenly become bad.

I;m afraid there is more to this than meets the eye and for me it is not a simple "Replace the manager" solution

The team played badly, very badly today. That is MON's responsibility. The team we have should be good enough to put up a fight.

When we went behind heads dropped. That is not OK, MON should have sorted that out!

I don't see how this has anything to do with your theory of lacking funds!

Match ratings:

Friedel- Good keeper but parries too many shots and we should give Guzan a run in the side now.

Shorey- That's what you get when you buy full-backs from Reading i'm afraid. Not good enough.

Cuellar- Had an encouraging pre-season but back to a headless chicken today with absolutely no communication with the rest of his defence. It's a big season for him and if he keeps playing like that then we may aswell pay Rangers to take him back.

Davies- Similar to Cuellar. Couldn't distribute out of defence, he showed no leadership, poor positioning, lacking pace, no communication. VERY worrying.

Beye- Had an awful debut. He looked slow, not very agile and he seemed vulnerable to diagonal balls. Having said that, it's not his fault that he was signed so close to the start of the season and hasn't had time to settle in.

A.Young- One word: Over-rated. Everyone has him sussed out now and for every good ball or set piece he delivers, he sends in about 7 more shit ones. He also has an awful attitude on the pitch and to be honest, I can't see him staying if a big club tables a bid. As soon as MON foolishly branded him "world class" last season he left Young wide open for extra attention from defenders and has probably led Young to believe he is better than he actually is (hence the change in his attitude out on the pitch)- Well done Martin, he is certainly not world-class!

Petrov- Long been an admirer of him, but today he was a poor leader, never bossed the middle of the park and seems incapable of ever getting forward, prefering instead to make backwards and sideways passes.

Delph- Completely the wrong decision to play him, what must NRC be thinking? He's definitely one for the squad and one for the not-to-distant future, but asking a former League One player to act as a replacement for Barry in his first PL game? Don't make me laugh.

Milner- Had a poor game but can't ever fault his commitment or desire for the team. Must have been thouroughly pissed off to have been moved to right-back AGAIN, if not used to it by now. Why not play him on the left where he looked brilliant for England the other night?

Heskey- Not good enough. It's as simple as that. Squad player at very best.

Gabby- What the hell has happened to this kid? He used to be full of enthusiasm, pace and had a sharpness infront of goal. Now he just looks like an over-paid, uninterested passenger. I don't even think he's that fast anymore and i'm beginning to wonder if he's going the same way as the Moore brothers? Very worrying- where is the desire to play for the club he supposedly supports? I can't see it.

This season could be an extremely tough season unless O'Neill addresses the transfer market and addresses it quick. Even now, it is too late. When he came to the club, our squad was too small, and now three seasons on, not only do we have a smaller squad, but we've lost the spine of our side and he thinks it's okay to fill one of the void's with an un-proven 19 year old straight from League One. It's madness!

He drones on about needing to make new signings every **** minute, of every **** hour, of every **** day...rather like O'Leary... I wish he would do less talking and actually do something about it. And if the money that we clearly need is not being made available by RL then I think the fans, who fork out so much bloody money to watch this dross, deserve to know.

Where the **** has all this ambition gone about cracking the Top Four? At this rate we'll be lucky to stay in this league, and that's no exaggeration after today's performance and the performance in 2009 as a whole.

Usually, even in the shocking games towards the end of last season, there was at least one small positive to take away. But today, I can't see one. This current team looks under-equipped, lacking creativity, stale, lathargic and lacking a spine and leader. It signalls that something is wrong when your manager comes out after the opening game of the season and makes a remark about the players 'tireing' in the second half, god knows what excuses he will be making in March if they are already struggling with fatigue?

Unless these issues are addressed pretty quick by making some significant signings in the transfer window then I fear about this season, I really do. At an absolute bare minimum I think we need another CB, CM and CF and I'm not talking about unproven talent or Championship knock-down bargains, I mean real quality signings which are at the peak of their game, cost serious money and are likely to make an IMMEDIATE impact.

I've left it a few hours, didn't want to lay into the team too early.

After reflection I think

a) Cuellar should not have shaved

B) Agbonlahor is simply not good enough

c) Without Carew we have nothing up front.

I know there are 2 weeks til the "window" shuts but we've had the whole **** summer to get new players in. Leaving it til now is **** stupid.

Not happy at all. We made Wigan look like Barcelona.

Where to start after that complete shower today.....

Over the last few months I'm really beginning to worry about MON - he seems completely clueless when it comes to tactics in order to change the course of the game. When we're playing at home against the likes of Wigan and other lower Premiership sides you know they will pack the midfield, however MON seems to continue to stubbornly select a rigid 4-4-2 formation and we get overun in midfield. Why can he not see this?

Its been going on now for too long - he needs to be more adventurous at home against this type of opposition - Today he should have countered Wigans formation with 4-3-3 with either Sidwell / NRC in there with Delph and Petrov.

However, when we need to change it to get back in the game he makes like for like substitutions or takes the full back off and puts Milner there - utterly pointless.

I thought Fulham away last season was bad but today was worse.... i'm afraid it appears that MON doesn't learn by past mistakes and just continues in the same vain.

I'm concerned after that - there seemed no leadership on the field and the players left out today (some unfairly IMO) looked totally demotivated.

He's got some serious thinking to do because we're in for a very long season at this rate.

Guest Ricardomeister

Does anybody else think that the way Ash runs causes a lot of his problems? When he runs, he seems totally unbalanced to me. He seems to lean forward too much with his arms flailing everywhere and that, coupled with his skinny frame, means he is knocked over by the slightest touch.

I am sure I read somewhere that we were trying to get Michael Johnson to help Ash and Gabby after he visited Bodymoor Heath. I think he is needed urgently and Ash also needs a bit of time in the gym!

you know what really worried me today , look at our shots on target does anyone remember them being from a striker ? no i thought not

We were an embarrasment i stayed to the end to basically boo them off the pitch i know what sounds terrible but i feel like i and every other Villa fan have been cheated , we were a damn discrace how many games can u go to and even if you loose come away struggle to think of any kind of positives well today was one of them , every player should look at themselves including the manager and say jesus crist we really were that **** bad .

Seriously are we the only ones on this site that see's that were struggling in the centre of midfield cause MON obviously doesnt 4-5-1 4-3-2-1 how ever u wanna play it we need numbers in the middle cause i am sick of watchin teams slice through us like a hot knife through butter and why the hell did we start with Petrov seriously he's played how many games in pre-season 1, 2 ? the guy jogged through this game , poor Delph must of been like what the hell is this all about , get Coker on the damn pitch Martin we need a chaser in there a ball winner , someone thats gonna do a job in there and stop the flow , cause if u think it was bad against Wigan then it'll be un real against Liverpool

I walked to the car after the match hearin Villa fans tryin to put a slightly different spin on things but the main thing is , all this crap lies with one man and i am sorry mr O'neill , but either pull ya finger out or put john robertson in charge cause i am sick of this crap

Just got home from the game.

That was awful...

It's my brother's fault - the last home game he went to was Sunderland at home a couple of years and we lost 1-0 and played abysmally!!

The first 15 minutes we looked like we would overrun them...as soon as they scored it was like back to O'Leary days. .. just woeful!

Wigan played as well as they were allowed to play. Milner's spirit was the only plus for me. I can't recall a more gutless performance under any manager (please feel free to remind of one - I may be wrong) and I am 38 and have been a fan since the womb. I want to like MON but can someone give me a reason. This club has been my club for many years and I don't like what MON is doing with it.

Oh and the booing thing - how exactly do fans tell MON that they are not happy with the performance? Maybe people feel that after paying good money they have the right to voice their opinion. Do you want MON/ Randy/ the players to think that we are happy tonight?

Well after digesting the game today on a nightmare journey home, here's my thoughts:

1. Delph - Obviously has talent, but he's still very raw and I don't think he should be starting - NRC please - but now we know he's probably a impact player at the moment rather than a starter that can be rectified.

2. Young - Petulant display today, the way Clattenburg started with his reffing I thought Young was going with that - to be fair to the ref he handled it well and I thought he was lucky to still be on the pitch. Can be a match-winner when he's on his game but there was one point where he turned his back on a pass and I saw him arguing with Heskey, the ref, other players - MON needs to address this.

3. Communication/Running into each other - Presumably MAN ON, LEAVE IT, PASS are all understandable considering the vast majority of our team is english or speak english to a decent level. I sensed panic in our defence, saw Delph and Petrov nearly run into each other, Sidwell and Petrov jump for the same ball leaving it for a Wigan player, and the worst one was Shorey's header, If Davies gave him a shout (I have no way of knowing) then no Goal as he was there but Shorey was at fault there. There just seems to be a lack of communication and no direction/leadership.

Finally, I was sat by the Wigan fans who I have to say, despite one overweight bald inbred moron, were a credit to their team. They have chants that must G up the players and they never stopped singing. Our fans just looked like shrinking violets to scared to sing. It was painful to hear them sing ' Shit Support my Lord ' in irony after we'd given it out to them. Their chant of 'it's just like watching Brazil' brought a smile to my face, and you could hear them singin from Witton station - not bad for a crowd consigned to a very small part of the ground.

After a humbling at home is when you see who is willing to stand up and be counted and how players/managers react to adversity defines their careers - I still have the faith.

Next game though, I bet people will still be singing "Martin Martin give us a Wave" - like today, right as we are having to defend a free kick for example! Surely we can stop it now and only sing it if, say, by some miracle, we were winning a game by about 3-0 or something! Also, can we stop singing"Shit Support" to every single team. I'm shellshocked really and I fear that we will not even qualify for the Europa League group stages - will that be a good thing or a bad thing? We really really need a good excting signing to lift spirits. Come on , sort it out. :cry:

One thing to say after this awful performance:

The players who were booed and the fans who booed them deserve each other.

Too bad for the decent fans, though. They did not deserve this crap.

The fans who booed that pile of shite off today are also 'decent' fans..... they also didn't deserve that crap.....shame you don't understand the difference.....

Enjoy your happy-clapping for the rest of the season - by the way, we're the team in claret and blue....

One thing to say after this awful performance:

The players who were booed and the fans who booed them deserve each other.

Too bad for the decent fans, though. They did not deserve this crap.

The fans who booed that pile of shite off today are also 'decent' fans..... they also didn't deserve that crap.....shame you don't understand the difference.....

Enjoy your happy-clapping for the rest of the season - by the way, we're the team in claret and blue....

But surely booing the team you support sort of contradicts the term 'supporter' no? I'm all for people being pissed off about today and rightfully so. But it was funny around me seeing some tossers stay around for the final whistle for the sole reason of booing them, just so they could feel happy inside and then leave. :crylaugh:

Well, that was a real letdown, kind of an anticlimatic start to the season putting it mildly.

Worried about Davies I must say. Not comfortable at all, looks........clumsy. Needs a period on the bench like the one after his "pub performance" where he came roaring back and produced several excellent performances. Young's performance was diabolical, constantly making the wrong decision, Gabby Aggybaggy was awful too.

Need Distin and Warnock NOW. And Tuncay (scored today) if we can't get VDV.

Ratings on a scale from 1 to 10.

6 - Friedel, Heskey

5 - Sidwell, Milner

4 - Cuellar, Beye, Petrov, Delph, Albrighton

3 - Shorey (reason he is above the 3 at the bottom is because he was decent until his first mistake, unlike the other 3 who were just awful all game through)

2 - Davies, Young, Gabby

Heskey- Not good enough. It's as simple as that. Squad player at very best.

You chat shit.

I agreed with one thing; what you said about Milner.

Heskey (closely followed by Sidwell) was our best player today by a mile, so i'm guessing you treat him as a scapegoat, just like Shorey.

You can tell them two are scapegoats, 'cause if they give the ball away, they get a mouthful of abuse, but if its Young or Petrov, no reaction whatsoever.