The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

was the last spiderman any better than the Tobey Maguire version. I liked 1st Spiderman with him but got a bit shit in the sequels

It's not as good as Spiderman 2, plotwise (and villain wise), but features a far better rendition of Spiderman (and Peter Parker) and a better romance subplot, and probably better direction. It's a decent watch, let down by a weak villain and dodgy art design.

The only reason the Andrew Garfield Spiderman film exists is because Marvel are building up to an "Avengers:****" movie and the plot of the Tobey Maguire films doesn't really fit into what it coming.

Not quite. The Andrew Garfield Spiderman reboot was done to prevent Marvel having the film rights to Spiderman revert to them through Sony not using the license. Sony desperately want to hold onto it as long as possible because they know that it's a license that always makes money and they also know Marvel dearly want it back now they've set up a proper film presence. Sony will turn out Spiderman films at regular intervals for as long as the license makes any money just to stop Marvel having it back.

Sony tried to actually endear themselves to Marvel (and fans a little) by trying to make a link between the Avengers and their new Spiderman film, having the Oscorp building appear in the New York skyline at the culmination of the Avengers, but it turned out to be too late to make it happen. 

Marvel are very keen to get their licences back, hence studioes kick starting work on Marvel properties in the last couple of years as they realised Marvel's films were becoming juggernauts. Fox are working on rebooting a Fantastic Four film for instance, which also lets them prevent Marvel getting hold of other characters that Fox picked up with FF. Marvel did get Daredevil back last year, to pick up on the Ben Affleck theme (that film isn't as bad in it's directors cut, incidentally), which could make for an interesting reboot.

The whole rights issue is a shame. I would love to see Wolverine and Spider-Man in the Avengers...

I would also love to see Marvel making an X-Men film as I really do feel they could do it justice. I did like 'X-Men: First Class' yet still think there was something lacking. There is talk however that Fox might be tying the X-Men and Fantastic Four together in their new films. If this is true then I am hoping it will lead to Onslaught appearing in future films.

On another note, I managed to get a four day pass to San Diego Comic-Con this July and am hoping that the new Wolverine film has a big presence, being that it gets released a week after the con.

Edited by briggaman

Since we're on the Marvel subject. I hope Loki has a decent role in Thor 2, I can't help but have a man-crush on Tom HIddleston, what a likable fella.

Under 2 months until Iron Man 3 is out, Stevo. You got your costume ready for when you go see it opening night?

was the last spiderman any better than the Tobey Maguire version. I liked 1st Spiderman with him but got a bit shit in the sequels

It's not as good as Spiderman 2,

:o Edited by Stevo985

Since we're on the Marvel subject. I hope Loki has a decent role in Thor 2, I can't help but have a man-crush on Tom HIddleston, what a likable fella.

Under 2 months until Iron Man 3 is out, Stevo. You got your costume ready for when you go see it opening night?

:D

Yeah I have!

And I've been watching hours of Tim Vine Stand Up DVDs so I'll know exactly what to say to sound just like Tony Stark

I really do not get the obsession with these super hero films. It's like there's a basic formula to making one of these films and they all follow it. They just change characters and scenes. I just do not understand. To me it's like watching every Jason Statham film, they're all the same, they just have a slightly different theme and the characters have different back stories which hold no relevance to what's going on in the film.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Considering going to see Cloud Atlas this weekend.

Having read the book, I cannot imagine how it could possibly be filmed.

:thumb: It's worth seeing.

said it before, they need to carry on building this up over the next 10 - 15 years, get everyone on board and then stage 3 or whatever they want to call it - civil war

would be amazing and the timing would be right, the films already divide fans as to who is shit and who steals too much screen time, i think it would work

Watched Wrestler today. It was good, but I don't think it was as good as everyone else seems to think, IMO. But Rourke makes a good performance in it. And that woman too. Catching up with semi old films that I missed when they came. :)

I watched Come and See the other night. I was expected a war film, focusing on the young lad who is the main character. Which is what it was. But at the same time, it was far from what I was expecting. A very disjointed narrative, introducing and dropping characters at the drop of a hat, and skipping forward to events that we don't really know how they happened (I'm mostly referring to the capture of the Nazi's here). But then, I suppose the war was like that.

The second half though was amongst the most compelling and harrowing I have ever seen in a movie, be it war based or no. I didn't know an awful lot about what was going on at that time during WWII, apart from Germany invading Russia/Eastern Europe, so read up on it a bit after watching the film to give it a bit more historical context. Not that it needed it at all, I was just curious, really, as to what happened 'next'. The thought occurred that young lads like the main character in the film would have gone through all the things we saw, fought in the war, survived, and then gone back home. Which is almost as scary a thought as what we saw the civilians going through in the film.

Come and See is a very important piece of film making. Its certainly one that will stay with you long after you've watched it.

Don't think I could sit through it again to be honest. I felt the same with City of Life and Death.

Edited by Designer1

Watched Wrestler today. It was good, but I don't think it was as good as everyone else seems to think, IMO. But Rourke makes a good performance in it. And that woman too. Catching up with semi old films that I missed when they came. :)

Decent flick. I got the feeling Rourke was essentially just being Mickey Rourke. His real life personality is just about identical to his character in the film.

I really do not get the obsession with these super hero films. It's like there's a basic formula to making one of these films and they all follow it. They just change characters and scenes. I just do not understand. To me it's like watching every Jason Statham film, they're all the same, they just have a slightly different theme and the characters have different back stories which hold no relevance to what's going on in the film.

The same could be said of nearly every genre, with slight tweaks.

I personally grew up on comic books and love the characters and what Marvel have done with this 'universe' they've created is very unique and I'd be disappointed if it stops before 2020. Long may it rule the box office.

The origin story has become a genre in it's own right, really, which is why a lot of the super hero films have a similar arc, but they are different. When you get away from origin stories in sequels, they are very different - the Avengers is a world away from the Dark Knight, for instance.

Interestingly just the other day Marvel's head honcho was talking up using the super hero framework to hang other genres off - he specifically mentioned the Captain America sequel coming next year, the Winter Soldier, being a political thriller that happened to feature Cap. Supposedly this new theme will begin with Iron Man 3 in a couple of months time, which has been talked about as having a bit of espionage thriller at it's heart too, and then later this summer with Thor 2 being more a fantasy epic than the original film.

Â