The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I watched it on a plane so lacked the fullscreen effect but I wasn't that taken by X-Men first class either

Usually IMDB isn't a bad judge , Empire are my pet hate as they appear to give 5 * ratings to films based on the director and not upsetting their relationship with him rather than on the merit of the film itself

X-Men First Class isn't as good as the ratings would have you believe imo. It suffers massively from being 2 potential films chucked together. It has really good moments and really crap ones as well. It would have been far, far better a movie if they'd chopped the kids/crews of each side from it (i.e. the entire basis for the First Class film they wanted to make), and built up the aspects of other movie they were going to make (X-Men Origins: Magneto) more. Fassbender (until he goes all Irish at the end, Magneto'Malley, fnarr) is great, and James McAvoy is pretty good too, and they could have made a lot more of Bacon's character with no effort at all. The kids are all shite, they picked hopeless characters and got hopeless actors and you end up not really giving a shit (I actually cringe whenever the Banshee kid is on screen).

Instead they fudged it together and it suffers from it. It got the critics going because it was a period superhero film imo, getting 'it's a bit different' brownie points.

a certain worthiness

And therein lies why I think TDK is by far the better film.

In my opinion.

Fair enough.

I don't personally agree. I don't think a film needs to be 'worthy' to be particularly great.

And saying that, TDK's 'worthiness' isn't all that anyway, it's underlying message(s) aren't terribly profound or anything. Or even particularly laudable depending on the interpretation.

But yes, it's a great film that has it's flaws. So is the Avengers, albeit for different reasons, imo.

Watched Lockout last night hoping to watch a mindless action film where the good guy kills the bad guys and gets the girl etc etc. I'm a big guy Pearce fan and he was pretty average in the film but didn't have much to play with but portrayed the 'loveable rogue' hero character well enough. Maggie Grace is stunning and Vincent Reegan his usual menacing self. Good popcorn film but nothing to write home about. Although cheeky little twist at the end which caught me off guard (shan't say more as it would be a spoiler)

Is Godfather, often considered one of if not the greatest movie ever, "profound" though? Does it impart any moral lessons?

I don't think film is a good medium to use to spread moral messages, which was something I hated about Madagascar 3. The didactic nature of such productions are off-putting to me.

What the Nolan Batman films do very well imo is give emotional depth to their characters, which make them more realistic and hence more easily identifiable with audiences. The same applies to the Godfather (I haven't watched 2 and 3, but I intend to do so soon). To be fair, Iron Man does this as well, but the central character's motivations, traumatic experiences, and emotional growth were given relatively cursory treatment - however, they did expand greatly on Stark's humourous side.

I seem to be heavily attracted to such films - films that are based around intense character development, particularly the development of characters with strong emotions. Maybe it's because I'm a very emotional person myself, I'm not sure.

Anyway, point being, profound messages in movies suck :lol: and I don't use it as a definition of "worthy."

Don't get me started on 'X-Men: First Class'. It could have been so much more and the fact remains that they chose the wrong first class to focus on. Plus Beast looked bloody awful in the film and the fact Banshee was American still pisses me off to this day. It was decent overall, yet there were far too many mistakes for my liking.

It was thrown together as there were serious time constraints. Hopefully the second will be better as there is more time being spent on it.

Referring back to the question about the Godfather trilogy, I personally think Godfather: Part 2 is by far my favourite (for one it has De Niro in it as well as Pacino) and Part 3 just didn't feel like a Godfather movie so it's the worst of the bunch and by some way too.

yep second one easily the best, mind you I havent watched them for quite some time, thats it on saturday I'm going to have a godfather feast before the boxing comes on cuz I'm in for a quiet weekend for a change

Saw Spiderman tonight. Overall a poor film. Raimi's first spiderman seemed a lot better.

Even for a Superhero film there are a lot of plot holes and silly occurrences.

And the Dark knight is far superior to the Avengers. That's not just my opinion that's actually a scientific fact.

Tony Stark is meant to be abrasive, his confidence and arrogance are supposed to rub people up the wrong way, as does his apparent inability to take things seriously. RDJ does a fairly good interpretation, although they (until the Avengers) never really managed to get that side of the character down as people, generally, rather liked the playboy cocky bastard attitude. Tonyh29 is also correct that, in the comics anyway, the drinking didn't help and in a way, the whole persona is a charade covering the fact that he knows he's intensely flawed and has, at times, done things wrong (he basically becomes a full blown prick in the Civil War storyline in the comics for instance).

Just to clarify, again (as it was I who started this Stark conversation so I assume this is aimed at me) I get all of this.

None of it is why I didn't like Stark.

I didn't like him because of his incessant joking, none of which are funny.

i was really surprised by spiderman, thought the trailers were shockingly poor (as was the 1st person stuff in the film, looked horrible IMO) but i enjoyed it, some of it was a bit shakey like how they had an animal testing lab yet for some reason had never tested their super spiders on anything before, the dad storyline was a new one on me but i thought AG was far far better than TM, emma stone was better than kirsten dunst, the lizard was a great villain too

Â