The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I think it's one of the better Stan Lee cameos. Chindie, I peraonally didn't think it was as good as the Avengers, yet it is certainly worth seeing.

The more I think about it I am pretty certain that Garfield was a better Spider-Man than Maguire in my eyes. He had the right amount of attitude and his awkwardness was also there. It just seemed like the right mix for Peter Parker.

There are flaws in the film but it's an entertaining ride. I personally liked the Raimi films and I'm leaning in the direction that this was arguably better. Try to look at it as a new franchise and forget the others. I know it's difficult as the similarities are glaring at times (obviously). Judge it as a fresh approach though and it's very rewarding.

Good summer blockbuster material...

I think in terms of story and character development, The Amazing Spider-man is better, in terms of balls-out, adrenaline-fueled action sequences, The Avengers is better.

Both are great and well worth seeing.

I think in terms of story and character development, The Amazing Spider-man is better, in terms of balls-out, adrenaline-fueled action sequences, The Avengers is better.

Both are great and well worth seeing.

I didn't think The Avengers was great to be honest, I mean it seemed like a kids film. Overall, I thought TAS was much better.

There's a really good Empire podcast here where producers of The Amazing Spider-man Avi Arad (Marvel legend) and Matt Tolmach talk about the film. SPOILER WARNING however, I would suggest you only listen to it after you've seen the film.

It's really a good listen though, and they talk about Garfield at one point and how dedicated he was to the role and how he's been a huge spider-man fan since he was a kid and how much pressure he put himself under to get it perfect. I agree, I think he nailed it and was the perfect choice. They say at one event, possibly Comicon, Garfield wrote a speech to the fans telling them all how dedicated he was and how he wouldn't let them down. He seems like a very nice chap and an absolute professional.

There's a really good Empire podcast here where producers of The Amazing Spider-man Avi Arad (Marvel legend) and Matt Tolmach talk about the film. SPOILER WARNING however, I would suggest you only listen to it after you've seen the film.

It's really a good listen though, and they talk about Garfield at one point and how dedicated he was to the role and how he's been a huge spider-man fan since he was a kid and how much pressure he put himself under to get it perfect. I agree, I think he nailed it and was the perfect choice. They say at one event, possibly Comicon, Garfield wrote a speech to the fans telling them all how dedicated he was and how he wouldn't let them down. He seems like a very nice chap and an absolute professional.

Yeah I think it was in San Diego, he was dressed up in a Spidey costume and was practically crying, he could barely talk properly during his speech. :lol:

over last two nights, have watched

50/50 - very good, very funny in places film about Joseph Gordon Levitt getting cancer. Seth Rogen is pretty good too.

Lonely Place to Die - hmmm, don't know what to think really - good idea but too many flaws in the plot and the second half kind of spoilt the film.

Just watched TAS. Pretty good. The only problem I had with Parkers character was that he was a bit too rash and moody, especially around his family. Superb acting though. The movie could've done with a tad less romance and more action.

watched 8 mile - wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, not as much music either, some of the acting is dire, so is the make up (worst black eye ever) but some of the supporting cast are very good, the story is decent enough and then IMO because most of the music is the rap battles despite not hearing most of it what i did was pretty funny, the final rap battle was brilliant

also watched children of men - brilliant film, cant recommend it enough, criminally overlooked by awards season IMO possibly the best film of the decade

also watched children of men - brilliant film, cant recommend it enough, criminally overlooked by awards season IMO possibly the best film of the decade

I loved Children of Men. The look and feel of the whole thing is just so spot on, and the cinematography during the action scenes is glorious.

Great concept for the story too.

There's one thing that always puts me off from watching Children of Men and his name is Clive Owen. Terrible actor. I watched Sin City but only because he was only in it for a small part of it. His section of the film is the worst.

He comes across as a really nice guy in interviews I've seen, so I don't like to be mean, but I just think he is an incredibly wooden actor and he should never attempt an American accent in a role ever again.

I watched Attack the Block last night.

Fully expected it to be terrible, but it was actually decent. LEave your brain at the door stuff, but pretty entertaining.

Maybe it was due to me having very low expectations before watching it, but I was pleasantly surprised

I adore Children of Men, will watch it most times it's on somewhere like it was last night. It's just a fantastic film from concept to finished article.

My only issues with it are pretty minor - the film is lauded for it's long single take shots, most notably the one at the end as Theo makes his way through Bexhill towards the apartment building. However that shot in particular isn't quite the one take it appears, theres an edit and some computer jiggery pokery that goes on IIRC.

And secondly, the fact that all the vehicles in the film are just current models with really obviously added plastic trim bolted to them (obviously an attempt to keep the budget down, but also gives the film a nice... hand-me-down ramshackle feel which fits the theme of the world going to the dogs really well and gives the atmosphere/veracity of it all another nice layer) means I spend a considerably amount of the film going 'Thats a Fiat Multipla. Thats a Renault Aventine. That's a Vauxhall Vivaro/Renault Trafic.

Oh and the fact that Michael Caine cannot deliver some of the lines convincingly. Everytime he says 'Amigo' I just have to sigh in my head and think 'Ah, bless Michael, you'd never convince as a hippy, which is lucky since you're Tory to the core'.

But all very minor things, it's a superb film. I'd wager it's better than the novel.

Â