The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

A long overdue rewatch of this tonight:

spacer.png

Superbly dark drama with Gael Garcia Bernal in his first English speaking role, alongside William Hurt (excellent as always) and an early role for Paul Dano.

Well recommended if you are a fan of well written, tightly plotted drama with strong ensemble casts.

I'm having a night in with the missus, we decided to watch a film on that Amazon Prime, it’s called She is Love.

It is one of the worst things I have ever watched.

It's so shit we're watching it to the end to see if we can see what the point of it is

And as I type it’s finished. Turns out the male actor also wrote and directed it. He needs shooting.

• Haha 1

Junk Head was quite something. A almost 2h stop motion dystopian movie that looks fantastic. No idea how people manage to create something like this without going insane. Then again the story is a bit mental.

Junk Head Film Times and Info | SHOWCASE

• Like 2

On 19/10/2023 at 22:12, Chindie said:

Well that's the thing with a Napoleon biopic. He's a man who lived such an outrageous life that to even attempt to do it justice you need a lot of time. The climactic battles alone will eat into running time, and that's without covering his rise to even being an historically relevant figure, or the ridiculous scope of things he did - going from a relative nobody in a backwater to the emperor of France and attempting to become ruler of all Europe (and very nearly did it) - or his personal life, or the bizarre stuff like gallivanting around Egypt with a bunch of intellectuals whilst leading an empire building war, or the reaction to him from his opposition... Anything less than 4hrs is on a hiding to nothing.

Abel Gance's classic silent 'Napoleon' of 1927 was four hours long, and only went up to the 1796 Italian campaign. It was intended to be the first of six films - but inevitably the project proved unfundable. As it is, it's an amazing film, particularly from the cinematography angle. Truly epic. Those who don't watch films made before 1970 will of course never see it. 

• Haha 1

Lola (2022). Bit of a curio, this one - b&w science fiction set in WWII, based on the old trope of altering history with unintended consequences. Clearly ultra-low budget, it does rather come across as a film studies MA final year project, but is still pretty entertaining. Worth 80 minutes of anyone's time. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Abel Gance's classic silent 'Napoleon' of 1927 was four hours long, and only went up to the 1796 Italian campaign. It was intended to be the first of six films - but inevitably the project proved unfundable. As it is, it's an amazing film, particularly from the cinematography angle. Truly epic. Those who don't watch films made before 1970 will of course never see it. 

Had a look, it's just under 3 hours long with Scott already confirming a directors cut is then coming to apple+ afterwards

Itll be the same as kingdom of heaven, the DC will actually be decent but the cinema release will be panned

Got no real confidence in Scott as a film maker and he's on to gladiator 2 next

Scott is the ultimate jobbing director. He will make something technically excellent with whatever you give him, but if it's a bad script or a bad idea, you'll get a beautifully made technically brilliant turd.

Just back from Killers of the Flower Moon - brilliant film but tested my bladder! 

Made it to the end of the film without leakage! 

very very good indeed, the main three actors were all excellent with lots of great cameos to tick off.

Spoiler

Wracked my brain recognising Sturgill Simpson and Jack White! 

Well worth a watch!

• Like 3

On 23/10/2023 at 15:12, theboyangel said:

Just back from Killers of the Flower Moon - brilliant film but tested my bladder! 

Made it to the end of the film without leakage! 

very very good indeed, the main three actors were all excellent with lots of great cameos to tick off.

Hide contents

Wracked my brain recognising Sturgill Simpson and Jack White! 

Well worth a watch!

How was Jesse Plemons?

15 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Did Killers of the Flower Moon feel like a 3hour 46 minute movie or did it go quick?
Not sure I can sit in a cinema for that long.

It’s not speedy but also didn’t feel like nearly 4hrs (apart from my screaming bladder!!) 

• Like 1

Just watched Effie Gray on IPlayer. A lovely little poignant film. I didn't know too much about her or Ruskin, tbf.

What a strange fellow, all that artistic talent and not an iota of instinct for intimate interaction. 

"I demand to know on what grounds." "on the grounds of impotency, Sir." What a line, delivered with aplomb by the wonderful Derek Jacobi.

Â