The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The space marine stuff in an aliens / starship trooper style film makes so much sense I'm amazed they've not touched it (which from my little knowledge that's what most of the games are)

Edge of Tomorrow in 2014 was probably the closest and last film done in this style? I agree though, some aliens and marines running around is always great fun.

On 08/02/2023 at 18:21, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching this...

spacer.png

Yeah, it's definitely on the 'Good Shyamalan' team and even though there are some plotholes and odd character decisions, it's streamlined and tautly directed with the small cast doing a good job with each role (particularly impressed with Dave Bautista who is turning into quite an accomplished character actor).

I didnt like this film at all to be honest.

I did think bastista played the role brilliantly.  Bit the film itself i just did not like it.

Thought it wasnt scary, depressing and just the story was abit wierd

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt like this film at all to be honest.

I did think bastista played the role brilliantly.  Bit the film itself i just did not like it.

Thought it wasnt scary, depressing and just the story was abit wierd

As always Dem, to each his own :thumb:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Watched Black Bear last night. Aubrey Plaza is great in it, but it's a little bonkers. Good though, not one for those that don't like the ambiguous. 

Loved, loved that film.

Although I would happily watch Aubrey read a phone directory tbh 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aquaman 2, set to be the last 'DCEU' movie before James Gunn hits the reset button and starts over, has spent the last couple of days getting absolutely slated in various stories relating to allegedly catastrophically bad test screenings. Apparently people came out of the latest test screenings saying it was the worst DCEU movie by distance (which is saying something in a series that features the original Suicide Squad) and supposedly has had numerous changes made in post production done multiple times already. This has included them shooting a Keaton Batman cameo (which confused the **** out of audiences, leading to reshoots where Affleck's Batman would cameo instead, which then changed again when this film was pushed back enough for the Flash to come in ahead of it meaning Keaton could come back in, and now it's not clear if one, the other, both or neither will appear), and literally cobbling together the movie from what they have filmed and changing the plot as they go (to the extent people in the production have said the latest test screenings were of a literally different movie than the last ones they'd done...?!).

It's apparently so bad Momoa has decided to abandon the character and Warner Bros have decided they'd like him to take on another DC role in Gunn's rebooted series.

DCEU is going out with the sound of a half filled old balloon deflating.

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Aquaman 2, set to be the last 'DCEU' movie before James Gunn hits the reset button and starts over, has spent the last couple of days getting absolutely slated in various stories relating to allegedly catastrophically bad test screenings. Apparently people came out of the latest test screenings saying it was the worst DCEU movie by distance (which is saying something in a series that features the original Suicide Squad) and supposedly has had numerous changes made in post production done multiple times already. This has included them shooting a Keaton Batman cameo (which confused the **** out of audiences, leading to reshoots where Affleck's Batman would cameo instead, which then changed again when this film was pushed back enough for the Flash to come in ahead of it meaning Keaton could come back in, and now it's not clear if one, the other, both or neither will appear), and literally cobbling together the movie from what they have filmed and changing the plot as they go (to the extent people in the production have said the latest test screenings were of a literally different movie than the last ones they'd done...?!).

It's apparently so bad Momoa has decided to abandon the character and Warner Bros have decided they'd like him to take on another DC role in Gunn's rebooted series.

So aquaman 2s gonna be another flop then

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Did Amber Heard survive? There was talk of her being removed as well. 

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Very disappointing as I really like Wan as a director, and I even thought the first one was one of the better DC comic book movies.

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Did Amber Heard survive? There was talk of her being removed as well. 

Apparently she is still in it, but in barely more than a cameo. And given the shit around her and the film being a mess of a production by all accounts, I wouldn't be shocked to see her part ditched entirely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Very disappointing as I really like Wan as a director, and I even thought the first one was one of the better DC comic book movies.

The first one is a decent movie. It's stupid, but Aquaman is always going to be, and once you get past the fact that it literally features people riding giant seahorses in battle scenes, it's a solid action movie with a decent plot that's a spin on the King Arthur tale.

How they managed to **** up a sequel I've no idea. It must be particularly annoying for Wan as he wanted to take the Aquaman world and use it spin out into its own little franchise line he's done with the Conjuring and so on. Not anymore.

• Like 1

First trip to the cinema for a while for Cocaine Bear

As if watching people getting ripped apart by a bear wasn’t funny enough. , the park rangers death was just the icing on the cake 

film was probably 1 h and 10 mins longer than it needed to be though, but still great fun 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

First trip to the cinema for a while for Cocaine Bear

As if watching people getting ripped apart by a bear wasn’t funny enough. , the park rangers death was just the icing on the cake 

film was probably 1 h and 10 mins longer than it needed to be though, but still great fun 

How long is it, 1 h 20?

• Haha 2

There's a new Hellboy. Jack Kesy. No idea who he is either.

But yeah, there's going to be a third version of Hellboy, this time apparently adapting the Crooked Man story. Which is a pretty good Hellboy story featuring a younger Hellboy investigating a case in the remote Appalachian mountains involving witches.

Theoretically you can make a **** good movie out of Hellboy that matches the comics better than Del Toro did (and those movies are really good, but they're Del Toro films rather than faithful adaptations of the comics and Mignolas really heavy dark style), but for whatever reason it's never happened. I doubt this will change that.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2023 at 12:50, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Impossible for me to recommend as my reaction when watching was basically...

spacer.png

I can definitely see why its got people talking though.

Absolute dogshit. A pisstake even. Steer well clear.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

Absolute dogshit. A pisstake even. Steer well clear.

Yep, like I said a very marmite movie.

Some people absolutely loved it. I found it interesting but have no desire to watch it again.

Â