The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Truly is an amazing thread this. In one post you have the merits of Tree of Life, in the next Couples Retreat.

You couldn't make it up. Bonkers thread ain't it? Maybe time to make 2 threads? Recommend me a film is far too broad a term.

Truly is an amazing thread this. In one post you have the merits of Tree of Life, in the next Couples Retreat.

You couldn't make it up. Bonkers thread ain't it? Maybe time to make 2 threads? Recommend me a film is far too broad a term.

Sure, how about we have "Recommend me a film" and "Recommend me a film that CVByrne will approve of".

Or how about reccomend me a good film and reccomend me a shit film. There are a good few who post in this thread who love cinema and who have put me on to some amazing movies, then there are people who literallly watch utter shit and think it's good.

So why don't we have 2 threads. There are 2 distinctly different strands going in this thread and it's hard and pointless to merge the two.

How about mainstream cinema and film fans threads?

I'm just saying why not two threads. I may be snobish about film but that's because I love cinema. There are a good few in here who do too. So why waste time mixing film fans with mainstream film fans? You're mixing polar opposities in the same thread.

Or how about reccomend me a good film and reccomend me a shit film.

Are you implying the film I watched was shit? have you seen it? most likely haven't.. stereotypical is the word that comes to mind.

There are a good few who post in this thread who love cinema and who have put me on to some amazing movies, then there are people who literallly watch utter shit and think it's good.

As said above.. why not ignore it then? some of the movies i've seen recommended here (STV titles) are laughable but I don't go wrong quoting and saying it's "shit".. the whole point of this thread is people recommend films to others, it doesn't necessarily mean you agree with it or not.. everyone has different tastes.

Or how about reccomend me a good film and reccomend me a shit film. There are a good few who post in this thread who love cinema and who have put me on to some amazing movies, then there are people who literallly watch utter shit and think it's good.

So why don't we have 2 threads. There are 2 distinctly different strands going in this thread and it's hard and pointless to merge the two.

How about mainstream cinema and film fans threads?

Surely your not for real?

What if Tree of Life became a massive success thus making it a mainstream film, would you suddenly not like it?

I'm just saying why not two threads. I may be snobish about film but that's because I love cinema. There are a good few in here who do too. So why waste time mixing film fans with mainstream film fans? You're mixing polar opposities in the same thread.

I think there should be two threads as well. This one can remain for the cretins such as myself who enjoy Bridesmaids , Tucker and Dale V Evil etc etc . And you can start another one called "The pretentious arsehole movie buff thread" For people such as yourself . We wouldn't have to read your fickle, holier than thou, hypocritical diatribe in the good thread (This one )anymore.

You should definitely start a new thread .

Agree with Brumerican and M.Grin.

I don't see that it matters if mainstream movies do get recommended in here. It's an all encompassing thread and to be honest that's why I like it so much, it interests me to see different peoples views on film. I watch a wide spectrum of movies and (for the most part) the ones I recommend in here are ones that I feel would be generally missed by the mainstream so I post them up in case people have missed out on them. Doesn't mean I don't watch anything mainstream myself.

I'll happily admit I watched Bridesmaids and thoroughly enjoyed it. Doesn't mean I'm not equally at home with a Kurosawa, Bergman or Kieślowski.

Agree with Brumerican and M.Grin.

I don't see that it matters if mainstream movies do get recommended in here. It's an all encompassing thread and to be honest that's why I like it so much, it interests me to see different peoples views on film. I watch a wide spectrum of movies and (for the most part) the ones I recommend in here are ones that I feel would be generally missed by the mainstream so I post them up in case people have missed out on them. Doesn't mean I don't watch anything mainstream myself.

I'll happily admit I watched Bridesmaids and thoroughly enjoyed it. Doesn't mean I'm not equally at home with a Kurosawa, Bergman or Kieślowski.

Spot on. I've loved films for years and nothing annoys me more than people who dismiss a film straight away because it is mainstream or not seen as being 'arty' enough. I actually know people in the idustry who are like this and it does my head in to no end.

I like seeing every kind of film and can say I have seen hundreds of rubbish films, along with hundreds of great ones. I don't judge what I haven't seen, even if reviews have been poor or the trailers are poor. I may not go and see certain things though because they are not my cup of tea. That's just life though and we all have different tastes. For example, I think Roland Emmerich is the devil, yet I have seen all of his films. I doubt I will see any more of his films in the future, yet that is due to the fact that I just can't stomach his work anymore as I don't rate him as a director. That's just my opinion though.

Anyway, back onto recommending films. I have been to see 'Tree of Life' too and it was worth the wait. It is an extremely well made film and I would recommend it to anyone interested in film as an art form. Especially to those who perhaps aspire to be a director, as it is made to the highest standards. Every shot is thought about and I can't stop thinking about the film as it really has stuck in my head.

Just finished watching couples retreat.. was actually quite good, some funny bits in there.

I thought it was watchable, certainly better than the likes of grown ups and death at a funeral, bora bora is amazing too which helps

I should really just ignore it but i cant, CVB you are truly in a class of your own on here, not in a good way. Why not start your own topic instead of asking others? See how many use it compared to this one. Is there an ignore option on VT?

Anyway, watched Alice in Wonderland, awesome film, disneys best traditional animation for me. Maybe a bit of a child friendly version of the book, but its the most coherent version ive seen. Very good blu ray transfer aswell.

Anyway, watched Alice in Wonderland, awesome film, disneys best traditional animation for me. Maybe a bit of a child friendly version of the book, but its the most coherent version ive seen. Very good blu ray transfer aswell.

oh totally agree.. got the bluray myself, was very impressed.

Or how about reccomend me a good film and reccomend me a shit film.

So exactly what I said then, a thread just for you to post your recommendations and people to seek your approval of what makes a decent movie.

Good films are subjective, you can't split it into two threads because there's no consensus on what makes a good movie despite you thinking you're the authority on the subject with the only opinion that matters (and not limited to this thread either).

I'm considering buying a couple of old Disney animated films on Blu-Ray, yet I'm not sure which ones are good transfers. I have some newer Disney and Pixar films such as Up, Toy Story (all three) and The Incredibles on Blu-Ray. Yet I'm looking to buy some good transfers of old Disney films. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting Pinocchio for sure and wanted to get Aladdin, yet have just discovered it isn't out on Blu-Ray...

Â