The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

gawd bless the HMV offers:

Zatoichi, La Grande Illusion, The Skin I Live In, Cinema Paradiso, Girlhood, Brooklyn and, er, Spy. for £22. Only seen La Grande Illusions before so looking forward to the others. 

Last night enjoyed The Lady in The Van. such a phenomenally reserved british film, well it's alan bennett so no surprise, but Alex Jennings and Maggie Smith are great fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

gawd bless the HMV offers:

Zatoichi, La Grande Illusion, The Skin I Live In, Cinema Paradiso, Girlhood, Brooklyn and, er, Spy. for £22. Only seen La Grande Illusions before so looking forward to the others. . 

Zatoichi is great. One of my first Kitano films, saw so many great (and some not so great) martial arts films after that including early Jackie Chan and Jet Li films.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Watched My Cousin Vinny last night until 1:30 in the morning!

Such a great performance from Pesci and Marissa Tomei is so hot!

I only watched it about a week or 2 ago for the first time as well.  Thoroughly enjoyable.  I actually didn't recognise Tomei for the first 10 or 15 minutes of her on screen. And that New Yike accent ... :/

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I only watched it about a week or 2 ago for the first time as well.  Thoroughly enjoyable.  I actually didn't recognise Tomei for the first 10 or 15 minutes of her on screen. And that New Yike accent ... :/

It wasn't my first time ;)

Just too good to turn off... when Pesci first turns up in the prison cell and Daniel Son's mate thinks he's there to get oral relief is an absolute classic!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

It wasn't my first time ;)

Just too good to turn off... when Pesci first turns up in the prison cell and Daniel Son's mate thinks he's there to get oral relief is an absolute classic!

Ah yes, Ralph.  Probably the worst thing about that movie.  The only actor I know that's more wooden than dear old Keanu.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ah yes, Ralph.  Probably the worst thing about that movie.  The only actor I know that's more wooden than dear old Keanu.

Fair point but I still feel like it works in the context of the movie, they must have been told to play their parts low key so all the focus is on Pesci, either that or he truly was just picking up a paycheque.

Just chuckled to myself thinking about that public defender who they only realise has a nervous stutter when he makes his opening statement in the court, so much funny.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Fair point but I still feel like it works in the context of the movie, they must have been told to play their parts low key so all the focus is on Pesci, either that or he truly was just picking up a paycheque.

Just chuckled to myself thinking about that public defender who they only realise has a nervous stutter when he makes his opening statement in the court, so much funny.

"So you see judge.  I wore this for you" :lol:

My-Cousin-Vinny_Joe-Pesci.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

So you're saying some of those are quite good?

What shall I start with?

Well Dead Mans Shoes is one of Shane's best and imo one of the best British movies of all time.

It also contains my favourite scene in a movie ever, so yeah not a bad place to start :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Well Dead Mans Shoes is one of Shane's best and imo one of the best British movies of all time.

It also contains my favourite scene in a movie ever, so yeah not a bad place to start :)

I equally loved this film and yet never want to watch it again

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Watched this last night based off what I read here and I wasn't particularly impressed. For others who haven't seen it:

Dead mans shoes ~ Eastenders Xmas special

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

What scene?

Spoiler

When he threatens the ring leader of the thugs?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

What scene?

Hide contents

When he threatens the ring leader of the thugs?

Yep that's the one.

The whole thing is utterly amazing. The way the conversation begins, and then the shift of power between the two of them is brilliantly written and acted. I just love the hell out of it.

Â