The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Oh, and I watched the Running Man again last night - crazy film, but great fun to watch.

"Well I hope you have enough room left for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your goddam spine!"

Also, I saw that No Strings Attached with Portman and Kutcher in. Pretty poor and a very weak story. Nothing really happens.

What's the consensus on the A-Team?

Passably preferable to looking at the back of a headrest on a long coach journey.

Otherwise don't bother

This. I thought it was awful in every way possible. I was a big fan of the A-Team growing up so maybe I was too harsh. It just seemed poor in every aspect to me though.

I know this is 'recommend me a film' but I guess I can warn about poor films in here too, being that there is nowhere else to do so (other than worst films). Anyway, I went to see 'Paul' and thought it was average at best. Nowhere near as funny as 'Shaun of the Dead' or 'Hot Fuzz'. I must have laughed about five times in total throughout.

The one good thing is the alien (Paul), yet even that doesn't save the film. I left the cinema feeling robbed of my money. It looks like Pegg and Frost have sold out.

I know this is 'recommend me a film' but I guess I can warn about poor films in here too, being that there is nowhere else to do so (other than worst films). Anyway, I went to see 'Paul' and thought it was average at best. Nowhere near as funny as 'Shaun of the Dead' or 'Hot Fuzz'. I must have laughed about five times in total throughout.

The one good thing is the alien (Paul), yet even that doesn't save the film. I left the cinema feeling robbed of my money. It looks like Pegg and Frost have sold out.

I watched a film called "Monsters" the other day it's a low budget movie and you don't see many monsters, but it's kinda gripping

Its shot a bit like a documentary, and the action is focused primarily around the two title characters and their attempt to get back home into the US through dangerous, alien-infested territory. I don't want to reveal too much about it, but the title of the movie is way more ambiguous than it seems - who are the real monsters here?

That's a review by someone else, that's how I feel about the movie and I couldn't have worded it better myself.

I have a link to the movie online if you want to see it, pm me if you do.

It looks like Pegg and Frost have sold out.

Not really, they had an idea and the only way they could afford to do it was with a massive studio paying the costs.

They still plan on making final film in the blood and ice cream trilogy with Edgar Wright, if they had sold out there would be no interest in that.

Paul is ok, not a patch on Shaun or Fuzz; needs a script doctor but an ok way to spend a few hours nothing more and when yo have a trailer for Big Mommas House 3 before, then you realise it aint all bad.

Saw Black Swan the other night, what on earth was all the fuss about? Average movie at best, I even prefer The Fountain to it.

Anyway, people were telling me it was so dark and it's seriously **** up etc.. it was anything but. I was expecting a darker movie than Requime and it was nothing of the sort. Did love Portmans performance though.

Note to self, see movies like that BEFORE the the common non film buff people do.

Other movies I've seen recently

True Grit and The Fighter are both good movies which I enjoyed.

The Company Men was ok, nothing great.

The Green Hornet had it's moments, more because of Seth Rogan being very watchable than anything else.

Unstoppable was run of the mill and very formulaic.

Each to their own but Black Swan was fantastic in my opinion. I loved the way it was shot. I loved the overall tone to the film and how different it was. Portman was fantastic in it too.

I truly think that out of the Oscar noms for best director, Aronofsky should take it hands down. Oh and it is a much better film that True Grit. I liked that too, yet Black Swan was one of those films that comes around rarely. It is Aronofsky's crowning moment and I hope that he finally gets the recognition he deserves.

CVByrne, why are you saying thag you want to see films before non film buffs do? I don't get it so I'm just wondering what all of that is about. Did someone talk through the entire film or something whilst you were watching it?

Well because people built the movie up and made me think it was something it never was, people were talking about it in work and on nights out etc.. the point being when they said it's seriously messed up dark etc.. I thought it was going to be exactly that. But I got confused looks when I asked was it darker than Requime.

Basically I shouldn't have thought Aranofsky would drag us into this unsettling hole that would leave you creeped out for a couple of days. I was thinking it was going to be worse than Requime and it wasn't a patch. I wasn't remotely unsettled at all.

Basically the enjoyment of the movie would have been far better had I seen it early in the cinema before people who have far lower tolerances and knowledge of what constitutes dark. I suggested my friend go watch a movie called Happiness.

Back to the movie, while there is nothing wrong with it and it's very well directed, acted and indeed edited it's just not for me. It just (like the fountain) failed in its central theme with me. There was nothing wrong with the idea, it was fresh enough and hasn't been over done before or anything. It just didn't work for me. Ah well, all movies are not everyone.

For example my favourite movie of the last decade is The New World. You'd be hard pressed to find another person who would agree with me on that being the best of the last 10 years.

Â