The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Batman v Superman trailer has leaked online

It had to happen. The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has now leaked online in its entirety, and while it is cam quality, you won't struggle to see Superman's new status quo, Bruce Wayne getting a lecture from Alfred, the Batmobile (and Batplane) in action, and much more!

Quality isn't great, but it looks decent enough.

assassin_xlg.jpg

Do i have to tell if it was good or not ?

can somebody explain how films like this get funded? surely they dont make any money from it? Surely when they see an actor like danny dyer they just go "nope its going to be shit, im pulling out"

It's very much a teaser. And I don't think it sets the world on fire, coming across a little po-faced (as all DC movies seem to these days). There are lines in there that are meant to be badass, I think, bit instead just don't work - 'Tell me, do you bleed?... You will!' being the case in point...

Already quite low expectations tempered. And that's as someone who actually quite liked Man of Steel and enjoys the Dark Knight Returns for all it's overblown right wing revenge fantasy nonsense. It's going to be a mess, Warner Bros trying to do Marvel at their own game but without the conviction to do it organically, instead hanging all the leg work off a film with their only 2 bankers front and centre.

You've got cleavage on the poster, so it might attract the odd rocket polisher's curiosity. There are a lot of sad Eastenders fans as well who probably watch everything the cast members are in. Might just break even.

I just can't get my head around Batman vs Superman I'm afraid, especially so close to the end of the Dark Knight trilogy.

assassin_xlg.jpg

Do i have to tell if it was good or not ?

can somebody explain how films like this get funded? surely they dont make any money from it? Surely when they see an actor like danny dyer they just go "nope its going to be shit, im pulling out"

I'm guessing you give Mr Dyer £5k for 3 days work, which he does happily because it's easy money and he's doing a favour for his mate, the uncle / dad / agent of one of the kids behind the camera.

The rest of the cast get a D Dyer movie on their CV and a week of free lunches.

Keep production costs below £40k

Persuade Asda to take a thousand copies for their £5 dvd shelf, persuade Morrisons that they need to take 500 copies, persuade one of those TV channels in the late night channel hopper zone to take a copy for £5k

And you've lost about £35,000.

I have absolutely no idea.

Tax write offs I think. Movie industry is notorious for it. That is why there are so so many films which exist which you have never heard of.

Looks pish.

I'm going to invoke Stevos 2nd law there  ;)

It's just too silly to work. I mean, I know we're talking about comic books and they get away with certain levels of silliness, but I just can't quite suspend my disbelief for this.

Plus Zach Snyder has an awful visual style.

Oh trust me, I'm far from convinced it's going to work but i'll give it a chance as it's a pairing i've wanted to see on screen for a long time.

Agree with Chindie on the build up though, DC are blowing their load way too quickly with this one.

I'm looking forward to it even though it sounds absurd!

It's not unprecedented in the comics. Batman and Superman have fought and worked together countless times over the years, most famously in the Dark Knight Returns which saw then pitched very much as enemies (briefly, an old retired Batman sees Gotham going to hell, and feels a nagging compulsion to to be Batman again, he comes out of retirement, old and hulking and angry, is particularly vicious. Superman is called in by the government to stop him, they fight). That's the story this is heavily influenced by, apparently.

The problem is they're using this to set up a universe, and they don't seem to have thought it through very well. They also have probably the wrong tone, and probably the wrong director, and sadly what they're trying to set up isn't that compelling. It'll end up feeling like exactly what it is at this point - a cynical grab at some Avengers dollar.

• Like 1

Superman is called in by the government to stop him, they fight). That's the story this is heavily influenced by, apparently.

Going by Batman's suit this is exactly how it goes from what i remember? He builds himself a massive tank type suit i think.

Seemingly so. The armored suit in the teaser is very obviously inspired by his armoured suit from the graphic novel when he takes on Superman. However, it shouldn't be able to follow the text perfectly, as there's no kryptonite (apparently) in this movie universe, and Batman won't have the help he has from another Justice League member, or shouldn't at least.

Â