The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Guardians of the Galaxy - had high hopes for this due to the build up on here. Meh! It was ok, but was struggling to stay interested init until the end. Maybe I struggle with light hearted films - I like a good drama or tragedy! 

I thought the sound was terrible, some of the dialogue was inaudible next to the explosions and gunshots. I kept having to rewind to hear lines but that's probably just a broadcasting issue. 

The Hunger Games franchise baffles me. I've only seen the first film, admittedly, but it just seems like such a backwards concept.

How can you have a film which features a society with such little morality that they enter children into an arena to battle to the death until the last one is standing, and yet aim it towards preteens and therefore give it a 12 rating?

It's such a sick and dark premise but it's aimed at kids, meaning that they have to water it down making it boring and eliminating any sense of dread or fear. I'm amazed at how popular it is, the first one was boring as ****. Not to mention the dialogue and pacing was utter balls. I find it a little irresponsible that these people would write and produce this kind of film for that sort of audience to be honest, yet people lap it up.

Kids, wait until you're 16 or so and watch Battle Royale instead, or better yet, read the book.

Its annoying that the films are aimed at that audience.

Because the books get incredibly dark, especially towards the end, and I can't imagine the films replicate that at all.

I agree, I doubt they'll do that. I haven't read the books so I don't know how dark they get, but am I right in thinking that there's only one more film left?

I was just thinking that the last couple of Harry Potter films get darker towards the end, but I think that was acceptable because of just how long the books and films took to come out. The audience that started with the first book had grown up and matured by the time the final books and films were out, so it made sense for the films and books to be more mature and darker. I'm not sure The Hunger Games can do that as it hasn't been around long enough for its initial fanbase to have matured to that level.

Edited by Ginko

Guardians of the Galaxy - had high hopes for this due to the build up on here. Meh! It was ok, but was struggling to stay interested init until the end. Maybe I struggle with light hearted films - I like a good drama or tragedy! 

I thought the sound was terrible, some of the dialogue was inaudible next to the explosions and gunshots. I kept having to rewind to hear lines but that's probably just a broadcasting issue. 

I also watched it today, but I've got to say I thought it was great. Really enjoyed it. Really good fun, and perfect for a Sunday afternoon. 

I watched Nightcrawler earlier.

Enjoyed it a lot. Gyllenhal has gone up a lot in my estimations in the past few years (that cop one he did which name escapes me was excellent). He did a great job in this of playing a heartless creep.

Good film, pretty freaky.

Enjoyed it a lot. Gyllenhal has gone up a lot in my estimations in the past few years (that cop one he did which name escapes me was excellent). He did a great job in this of playing a heartless creep.

Prisoners

Prisoners
Nope not that.

Final watch or something it was called

Prisoners
Nope not that.

the found footage style cop film? yeah that was a good film

i think he comes and goes, jarhead was good, the zowie bowie weird film was good, zodiac was good, brokeback was good,  donnie darko isnt as good as its made out to be, prince of persia was shite, so was day after tomorrow

Prisoners
Nope not that.

the found footage style cop film? yeah that was a good film

i think he comes and goes, jarhead was good, the zowie bowie weird film was good, zodiac was good, brokeback was good,  donnie darko isnt as good as its made out to be, prince of persia was shite, so was day after tomorrow

Nobody listen to this man, his opinion is worthless!

Donnie Darko is easily on my top 20 films of all time, still proud that i got on before all the hype, even managed to catch it in the cinema.

Prisoners is great but mainly for Jackman.

• Like 2

Watched Interstellar last night, better than i expected actually although definitely too long at nearly 3 hours, credit to Nolan though, the scope of that film was something to behold, despite all the plus points it still lacked something for me, couldn't score it more than 7/10

Also watched the crash reel - that was great

Also attempted to watch Guardians of the Galaxy - Just not for me i'm afraid, don't want to criticise the film because its clearly well made if that's your thing but i don't think i will ever get the love for these comic book films.

Donnie Darko is a great film... if you watch the director's cut. If you watch the normal cut then it really is hard to follow and comes across as a bit pretentious. Having the snippets from the book in between the scenes explaining the science of what's happening really ties the film together and makes it a whole lot easier to understand.

Prisoners ?

He was the Cop in that

and also a previous victim of my theory is correct , the clues are there with some of the close ups on him

edit : read the rest of the thread now and know it wasn't Prisoners :)

Edited by tonyh29

Donnie Darko is a great film... if you watch the director's cut. If you watch the normal cut then it really is hard to follow and comes across as a bit pretentious. Having the snippets from the book in between the scenes explaining the science of what's happening really ties the film together and makes it a whole lot easier to understand.

Donnie Darko is one of my favourite movies ever but I absolutely hate that directors cut. Painful signposting and they changed some of the music to less suitable tunes.

Original cut is the best.

• Like 1

Â