Your choice of 2 possible outcomes in the upcoming games

ianrobo1

Pick  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Beat Chelsea and go out of the cups
    • Lose to Chelsea and go through in the cups

I would LOVE to bring silver wear to Villa Park, obviously.

What's stopping you, Dave?

I have a grey-ish/silvery polo shirt you could borrow if you like.

Silverware might be a little bit more diffficult to get hold off, i would guess ...

:mrgreen: :winkold:

Great post Ian.

Very tough decision, but i went for B. I would like us to progress as far as possible in the Uefa cup simply as our international profile will increase, increasing our 'brand appeal' making us a more enticing prospect for future signings etc. Also i do believe that the Chelsea game is that crucial to us finishing in the top 4, but i do agree it would help :)

Very very tough decision but i wouldnt mind:-

Lose - Everton

Win - CSKA

Draw - Chelsea

Its not a nice choice but for me option A wins, It gives us better long term benefits as qualifying for the champions league will allow us to build in ways that winning cups doesnt. We can then look to be challenging for cups year in year out if we get champions league football as our squad can be improved time and time again

Reluctantly option A. I've said that I think this is our year to win the F.A.-cup and I still think we can and still go very well in the league. And I think we're very able to beat both Everton and Chelsea. It's almost a week between the games. It's the UEFA game that I think is the one to be sacrifised. And I'd be happy to do that if we win the other two games. For me this more an option of a bigger scale, do I want us to come 3rd or win any of the cups? 3rd for me, still reluctantly. So I don't really agree with the two options but given the choice, as said, reluctantly option a.

but i went for B. I would like us to progress as far as possible in the Uefa cup simply as our international profile will increase, increasing our 'brand appeal' making us a more enticing prospect for future signings etc.

I'm sorry, but nothing increases your profile or ability to sign players like getting into the CL.

Where's the option of Beat Everton, Lose to CSKA and beat Chelsea.

That's my choice anyway.

it's in the same place as the option of winning all 3.

It's not there.

If you don't likke the options, then cest la vie ....

shit poll then really ain't it.

not really, it's a poll of two possibel outcomes.

As I said before, if I put a poll in off topic saying "What would you prefer, a ferrari or Porsche?" would you post saying, it's a shit poll, where's the option for a lambo?

I went with option B obviously.

I think we already have 4th, Arsenal are NOT going to beat United, Liverpool & Chelsea in their last 5 games, I would quite happily stick £100 on them NOT to win all of those. We have Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United to play. I think we are more likely to get more points out of those than Arsenal. I know Liverpool and United are away, but no reason why we cannot draw with both Chelsea and United and even beat Liverpool.

So the question is about 3rd, if we beat Chelsea we have a bit of room, but the main point about people putting the league over the cups is because of injuries and tiredness. Well they'd be pretty **** already because we have played since july and the schedule we have had so far hasn't been lax has it?

People get injured in training, out and about etc, you cannot worry about injuries going into a game, because that is negative thinking, something that Martin DOESN'T do. He is reserved but not negative.

I agree to change players if we have someone equal to the man going out, Heskey and Carew, NRC & Cuellar, I could even cope with Sidwell and petrov being replaced. But not the likes of Delf, Shorey, Gardner etc.

Perhaps I am not giving the bench enough thought that they can actually do as good a job as the starting 11. Do we even have a set starting 11 like we used to? perhaps not.

I want to go to a final, win it and tell all my spurs mates, Everton mates, West Ham mates, and especially newcastle mates, you won **** all we won the UEFA cup, further proof we are bigger than all of you.

Finishing 3rd and 4th means nothing unless we get through the group stages of the champions league in terms of success. All it brings is money and the chance to bring in some big names, but big names aren't going to arrive because we finished 3rd once. Maybe if we do it twice or three times we might get Ribery or some big name like that to join us, but not just the once.

Silverware is the only thing people look at when talking about big clubs, it's the main reason why Villa are still talked as a big club, because we have won the league and the european cup back in the early 80's.

Not because we finished 3rd and qualified for the group stages once.

What if we do a cup double then? you'd rather the champions league than a cup double? I think to be honest players will look at that and go "jeez they won on two fronts" they must be one hell of a team.

:lol:

the poll, as stevo said, is about the 2 extreme options, thats why they are the only ones to choose from.

The point of it is to decide what people would prefer , a higher league positino at the end of the season or to have a chance of 2 cups.

If we considered all the viable options there would be about 20 different options including: draw league, win FA, lose UEFA; lose league, FA cup replay, but wi UEFA. Now that would be a shitty poll, as I'm sure everyone WANTS to win every game, sometimes its not possible, sometimes it is.

Man alive - What's with people today !

I guess the poll could be changed to which would you prefer out of this season:- Voctory in a cup, or top 4 finish, but we have already had these discussions. This was purely a poll to view the next 3 fixtures. Personally, it made me think long and hard, which I assume was the point of it, and to highlight the hard decisions Martin will face in the next 8 days.

Option B everytime.

Losing one game against Chelsea won't ruin our season and ultimately won't determine where we finish, but lose in the cups and you're out, simple as that.

I'd rather win either of the cups than finish 4th anyway

Man alive - What's with people today !

I guess the poll could be changed to which would you prefer out of this season:- Voctory in a cup, or top 4 finish, but we have already had these discussions. This was purely a poll to view the next 3 fixtures. Personally, it made me think long and hard, which I assume was the point of it, and to highlight the hard decisions Martin will face in the next 8 days.

it is amazing those so incensed actually contributed I think most understand the point I was getting to ...

Then why not make your point, rather than starting silly polls?

He was only trying to make a point, no one makes the same point in exactly the same way.

Just because I am against Ian's opinion on this matter doesn't mean I go "eggy mental" at him because he portrays it in a different way to what I would do.

Nick, you need to take your neck in. No-one has suggested that these are the ONLY 2 possibilities. Everyone wants to win every game. It's quite a gift to get as worked up about 2 hypothetical outcomes as you have. Most understand the premise. The poll simply asks that if you had to choose between these 2 (knowing that there are others but ...), and only these 2, which of them is preferable to you. If neither are, then say as much and move on to other threads. Having an opinion is one thing. Having a go at people, trolling and starting fights in a thread you have seemingly no interest in is not acceptable and you wont be closing this thread. You've made your point, you don't want to participate productively in the thread so go elsewhere.

I'm still unclear as to what the "point" was though, what is eggy mental? I'm just trying to understand the point of the thread, is it like a choice between Hitler and Stalin, cos I wouldn't want either..

Whats the problem with wanting all three, the players we have are young enough to cope with the games we have, why not just cheer the boys on regardless, and hope we win and stay in all competitions.... surely thats what we all want and we trust MON to do the right thing without resorting to ultimatums...

Anyhoo... carry on.

Brian, I'm not worked up at all, I'm just trying to understand the point, as there doesn't seem to be one...

An irrelivant choice just seems absolutley ridiculas.... but fine I'll move on.... crikey, bollox to me for having an opinion on a thread and trying to be positive...

Â