Your choice of 2 possible outcomes in the upcoming games

ianrobo1

Pick  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Beat Chelsea and go out of the cups
    • Lose to Chelsea and go through in the cups

We really need to be finishing 3rd or better, not 4th. How are we going to sign top players if we could so easily go out in the TWO qualifying rounds before CL proper.

Beating Chelsea would be a huge step towards 3rd or better. We can go for it in the cups when we have packed the squad with quality signings attracted by the CL.

The UEFA cup is just too many games for too little glory imo. Doesn't even get you into the CL.

Obviously a win in either cup would be great, but getting CL football is more important, and we can't do both...or can we? :)

see crackpot that is why I posed the question

for me beating chelsea would not noly go a massive way to securing 4th but in fact makes us the clear favourites for third which is far more valuable than two cups now would ever be

I think that going out of both cups would be far too high a price to pay for 3 points particularly as the effect of doing so on our confidence would be likely to also cost us points after the Chelsea win.

The odds of us ending the season outside the top 4 and without a trophy would be much higher if all we had left to play for was a top 4 place.

Maybe, but playing in both cups is surely too many games.

How 'bout we stay in the FA cup, then? And beat Chelsea as well, obvously :D

Beating Chelsea would be great for starters, but the league is by no means over then. If we loose to Moscow we will be out of the Uefa, as we would have to win on a plastic pitch in -20 degrees, something we are not used to doing.

Moscow are a good side, a bit of a dark horse, as the season in Russia is about to begin.

Win against Everton would be fantastic, as we could be in with a chance of an FA cup title this time around should it happen.

Possibly the most difficult draw of the round.

I`d go for all three fronts, as John mentioned a couple of posts back.

Not every year it goes so well for us, so we should take what we can.

Good poll, I really can't decide myself.

-It would be great to have that added lead over Chelsea and possibly extending our lead over Arsenal. If not, at least keeping the same ead, while giving them 1 less game to catch us. But it also pretty much takes away every chance we have of a trophy this season.

On the other hand..

-Chelsea would go above us, Arsenal would have the chance to catch us. But we still kee our trophy hopes alive.

Very tough call. Let's just hope we beat Chelsea AND progress in both cups!

Option A everytime ...

Now Arsenal is going through their 'transitional' phase ... so it's the best time to take their place in the top 4 and try to establish ourselves as one of the 'Top 4'.

Time is of the essence. We need to build and consolidate on our good progress so far ... the best chance we have to do so is by finishing 3rd, to ensure that we are COMPETING in the Champions Leageu next season ... not QUALIFYING, COMPETING!

Essentially the dilemma posed in this thread is about priorities - progress in the cups or consolidating league position. For me there is no dilemma ...

Hypothetically, let's say we win BOTH the FA and UEFA Cup this season at the expense of our league position and we wind up outside the Top 4. Then Arsenal gets one more extra season to get things together, and things may get better for them ... it will make our quest to reestablish ourselves as one of the big clubs In England all the more difficult.

I would trade BOTH our potential trophies just to ensure that such a possibility will not come to fruition.

League position HAS to be top priority this season. We are getting to where MON wanted to take us to when he first arrived ... and I would not jeopardize that potential new era of Villa success just for a one-season wonder of cup success.

Of course that's assuming that playing a full-strength team in cups and progressing in them = harm to our league position.

MON may be able to pull off a marvellous balancing act and do well on all 3 fronts ... I don't know.

A, no contest. Might as well ask whether I would like:

A) A spot of rumpo with that lass off Hustle, or:

B) My scrotum stapled to a burning table.

In reality we'll probably draw with Chelsea, go through in the UEFA and go out against Everton. I'll probably have some rumpo with Mrs Rosa, and my genitals will remain unsinged. I'lll take that.

So lets have all hypothetical options, not just the two that “Robo” thinks are the only pertinent ones. I can't and won't vote for either of those shit options, there are many more viable outcomes that would be far more acceptable.

Â