World of Warcraft

The_Rev

I'll be trying it out, for nostalgia, but I can only imagine it's going to be pretty shit.

Spamming LF tank for an hour, then your healer leaving, spamming lf healer, finally getting your group together, only for one of the guys who walked to the summoning stone to DC...,incredibly tedious dungeons with mechanics that are simple by today's standards but just take forever, with most characters simple spamming their most powerful spell. No choice when it comes to specs, because most of them are simple non-viable.

it was a product of its time, and it was just a pretty poor experience, for the most part. I'll be more interested if "Classic" progresses to TBC/Wrath, that was the golden age of WoW for me. Better class balance, far more interesting dungeons (Ulduar, Karazhan, ICC are probably my favourite raids, in that order), and they'd removed some of the more tedious aspects of the game without completely gutting the social part of the game.

Edited by Davkaus

I loved the vanilla era personally.  Yes there was everything you mentioned, but it was still the best gaming experience I've ever had.  I loved most of the dungeons to be honest.

I subbed again a couple of months ago, mostly because I'd bought a new laptop and wondered how WoW would run on it but I found I just couldn't get into it at all any more.  Still think that first run on WoW when everybody was playing was absolute gold, I dare say it will never be topped when it comes to my experience with videogames but it was lightning in a bottle and I doubt we could ever recreate it.  I don't think it was WoW which provided the magic actually, it was just a great bunch of people all in it at the same time.  

Still remember this like it was yesterday.  Uploaded to YouTube 12 (twelve!) years ago. 

Edited by The_Rev

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I subbed again a couple of months ago, mostly because I'd bought a new laptop and wondered how WoW would run on it but I found I just couldn't get into it at all any more.  Still think that first run on WoW when everybody was playing was absolute gold, I dare say it will never be topped when it comes to my experience with videogames but it was lightning in a bottle and I doubt we could ever recreate it.  I don't think it was WoW which provided the magic actually, it was just a great bunch of people all in it at the same time.  

Still remember this like it was yesterday.  Uploaded to YouTube 12 (twelve!) years ago. 

I think you're right about the fact that it was a group of us from here Nays that made it so great, but the game itself definitely played its part.  The initial level up from 0-60 was brilliant, and there were loads of really fun times.  Then as we all got quite good, the end game stuff was great too.  The first time we beat BWL was pretty memorable.  I think it was all down hill after that to be honest.

Still remember my first PvP experience in that place next to the Barrens. Wasn't sure whether to shit myself or kill that other bloke. Must have had a heart rate of 200. Then Nays showed me the battlegrounds. **** me it was fun back in Vanilla. 

Yes, remember my first HK too.  Chased some low level dwarf the length of The Barrens and got him just before he got to the lifts.  The game was seriously good fun back then.  Hanging round with your real world mates, but also making friends with people on the realm too.  World PvP was brilliant, battlegrounds were great, and doing the end game dungeons with 40 people and having to disappoint 10 was insane.  I've played most of the expansions in recent years, and I don't think I've spoken to another person, or even seen a member of the other faction out in the wild.  The game puts you together with people (cross realm) for dungeons and the odd bit of PvE, but there's no chat or social side at all

Vanilla was **** terrible in comparison to later expansions. It was a badly designed piece of shit that had awful quality of life gameplay and it was clunky as ****.

The only thing that made it good was the fact that you could log on most hours of the day and there would be a few people from VT  online to play with.

WOTLK and beyond were much much better gaming experiences unfortunately the community went to shit as the core game got better.

I quit within the first month of the new expansion. I think im done with WoW now. It no longer has that charm with me and part of that was remembering how much fun i had in Vanilla with old friends who no longer play. I just cant seem to recapture that with WoW anymore, maybe im looking for something that WoW and the community has moved on from. The amount of nostalgic moments i have of WoW is crazy. I used to spend hours defending those stupid flags in Hellfire Peninsula and getting those mark of Thrallmar.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Vanilla was **** terrible in comparison to later expansions. It was a badly designed piece of shit that had awful quality of life gameplay and it was clunky as ****.

The only thing that made it good was the fact that you could log on most hours of the day and there would be a few people from VT  online to play with.

WOTLK and beyond were much much better gaming experiences unfortunately the community went to shit as the core game got better.

I dunno about that Si.  I don't whether it's just that I piled so many hours in, or that it was the first game of its type that I played, but it just worked itself into my brain in a way that none of the expansions ever did.  I honestly couldn't tell you a single dungeon or raid boss in any of them.  The messing about with your mates was what made the game, so once that started to die, so did the game.  They might have been better technically, but meh.  The worst one of the lot was the one with your garrison, they basically said then, "it's not a multiplayer anymore, just stay in by yourself and play a version of Farmville."  Shite.

18 hours ago, Risso said:

I've played most of the expansions in recent years, and I don't think I've spoken to another person, or even seen a member of the other faction out in the wild.  The game puts you together with people (cross realm) for dungeons and the odd bit of PvE, but there's no chat or social side at all

From some rudimentary research it seems like (Heal) Noctus is still around. When I last logged in I think I was in a guild called DarkBlade, which might be what the Dashers evolved into.

It won't be the same but it might be fun if we get some VTers and old Dashers together next summer and 'go again'. Maybe as different classes?  Maybe as Allies!

20 hours ago, ED said:

From some rudimentary research it seems like (Heal) Noctus is still around. When I last logged in I think I was in a guild called DarkBlade, which might be what the Dashers evolved into.

It won't be the same but it might be fun if we get some VTers and old Dashers together next summer and 'go again'. Maybe as different classes?  Maybe as Allies!

I've still only ever really played one class!

Yes, Noctus has always been around, would think he'll still be playing that when he's 70! 

On the recent expansions, they massively dumbed down every single class, and made them all much of a muchness, with two or three main abilities.

Still remember not getting my halo, like ever. Onyxia was such a clearing in the woods. 

Also wonder how many runs we did for that Scholomance staff for Nays. Must have been hundreds. 

Was reading up on this again now and I had totally forgotten about Zul Gurub. 

It's weird how many memories I have from this game. Actually remember the very first day logging on. Spawning in a crypt and thought that first town you came to was massive. 

Shitting myself when that elite werewolf came after me in that next area. 

Swear I could keep going on with a wall of text. 

Quite impressed how we handled the 40 man raids when half the people didn't talk on ventrilo.  

17 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Shitting myself when that elite werewolf came after me in that next area. 

**** sons of Arugal.

I once spent an evening patrolling Silverpine hunting them down for vengeance.

Â