World of Warcraft

The_Rev

I've belatedly turned to the Pet Battles, and I have to say they are brilliant fun.  Some of them are very demanding, and it's a real sense of achievement when you crack it.

I've always though the pet battle think was something they added to make the game more attractive to girls

Yes, I'm sure that was it.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the old days  -_-

But I've come to the conclusion that "You can never go home again" applies to WoW as well...

Yes, it's very different and it's impossible to recapture.  There are still lots of fun things to do in game though.

The pet battles are so much fun, you can just dip in and out to suit, and the dynamics are very varied.

• 3 weeks later...

If there's anybody still playing, and who might be interested in pet battles:

Blight Hawk - Jademist Dancer and Emperor Crab - an almost unbeatable combination.  Lots of people use an Unborn Valkyr, and it absolutely destroys that team.

I've resorted to it due to the lack of any sort of real world PvP whatsoever.  On the whole it's really balanced with a massive array of characters to use.  Balanced apart from the above team that is, which is ridiculously unbeatable in 9 games out of 10.  On the whole, the rarer pets are generally the best in battles, but two of the above three are very easy to get and people often rage quit when they get their arses handed to them.  Some of the pets have are stupidly difficult to acquire, with almost non-existent spawn times. 

It is a pretty complex and deep system. Pets have up to eight different breeds, consisting of different variations of speed / power / vitality. It's good to get an add on which tells you what breed your pet is, for some reason the default ui doesn't actually tell you. It is a great little mini game, really well designed. It would take you years to get every pet  and just adds some more depth to the game. Usually every major patch they add new pets to the old raids so you can pick up mini versions of classic bosses.

Have you tried out the celestial tournament yet Risso? It's a great challenge, makes you really feel like the hours spent collecting and levelling the pets was all worth it. 

It is a pretty complex and deep system. Pets have up to eight different breeds, consisting of different variations of speed / power / vitality. It's good to get an add on which tells you what breed your pet is, for some reason the default ui doesn't actually tell you. It is a great little mini game, really well designed. It would take you years to get every pet  and just adds some more depth to the game. Usually every major patch they add new pets to the old raids so you can pick up mini versions of classic bosses.

Have you tried out the celestial tournament yet Risso? It's a great challenge, makes you really feel like the hours spent collecting and levelling the pets was all worth it. 

Yep, owned that completely!  Did it the first time to get the first celestial pet, then have done it two out of the next three needed for a second.  I've got a good spread of pets now, so can cope with most situations.  I haven't done the Elekk Plushie quest though, when you have to beat all of the Grand Masters with only two pets.  I can two man most of them though, which is great for levelling new pets up quickly.  Can normally do a new pet 0-25 in 15 minutes or so now.

• 2 weeks later...

This will probably only mean something to nobler, but what the heck.  There's an achievement for the pet battles  that's very difficult to achieve, where you have to win 5 consecutive PvP battles with all of your pets still alive.  I had 3 games in a row against one player where I handed his arse to him with the above team, then I got drawn against him 5 more games in a row, where he ragequit each time, giving me the achievement.  Which was nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Blizz announced they've lost 3 million subs this quarter...no surprise really, just wonder what the ramifications in game will be. Also, do they drop the sub fee, or at least lower it? If it was $5/month, I'd probably just keep paying and logging on from time to time for giggles.

They gained a few million subs after the new expansion came out so I suppose they’re back to square one.
They still of course, have a huge amount of subs for a game a decade old so I suppose they won’t be that concerned just yet.

I would probably still be playing now if it hadn’t been for a pretty average story (the last XP story and Lore was way better imo) and then Garrisons, which just don’t suit someone like me who likes to play with different characters.

I’ll probably still come back at some point but I doubt it’ll be anytime soon.

I always said after MOP that i wont be going back unless there is something that really interests me. I still ended up going back for WOD, but that didn't really last that long. I had been playing without a break from the Middle of Vanilla till the end of Cata. It all feels really stale to me now and this time i'm 90% sure i won't be going back for the rest of this expansion.

~10 years of the game X ~ average population of let's say 7 million X ~$120 per year sub = $8.4 billion dollars made from the game (gross). Not bad. I'd say blizzard are just happy with the millions of players they still have after this long.

Edited by villa89

They gained a few million subs after the new expansion came out so I suppose they’re back to square one.

They still of course, have a huge amount of subs for a game a decade old so I suppose they won’t be that concerned just yet.

I would probably still be playing now if it hadn’t been for a pretty average story (the last XP story and Lore was way better imo) and then Garrisons, which just don’t suit someone like me who likes to play with different characters.

I’ll probably still come back at some point but I doubt it’ll be anytime soon.

The last expansion was shite, but MoP was great, so if they can replicate that with the next one, it'd be good.  Not being able to use flying mounts at the top level just sucks after you've been used to it.  I'm still just doing the pet battles to be honest, they're insanely good as I've said before.

~10 years of the game X ~ average population of let's say 7 million X ~$120 per year sub = $8.4 billion dollars made from the game (gross). Not bad. I'd say blizzard are just happy with the millions of players they still have after this long.

Their shareholders might not feel the same sense of contentment.

Their shareholders might not feel the same sense of contentment.

I'd say if you bought blizzard shares 10 years ago you'd be a happy bunny right about now. I'm sure Activistion-Blizzard have something in the pipeline to renew/replace WoW. Even if they just plod along releasing expansions it's still a massive cash cow. 

With 30 million registered Hearthstone Accounts and a third SC2 instalment on the horizon I'd imagine shareholders are reasonably happy with how things are working out for them. 

Â