The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I think Venezuela have been good ilast 10 years but have lacked consistency especially away from home.

For 2014 Argentina and maybe Paraguay should qualify comfortably but other spots will be between Chile, Uruguay, Ecuador, Colombia. cnat see venezuela, peru or bolivia mounting a challenge this time

Well Malaga lost a crucial home game to Osasuna today, 93rd min winner from Sergio.

Hercules also lost at home to Almeria, they made some good signings in the summer like Trezeguet, Valdez and Drenthe but that star effect seems to have worn off on them so they're in big trouble aswell.

That probably couldn't have gone any worse for them to be honest. Everyone who they didn't want to win won and they lost to a relegation rival. Really sets them back now.

• 1 month later...
Dubai buys Spanish La Liga club, to rename ‘Team Dubai’

Royal Emirates Group, the Dubai investment group chaired by HRH Sheikh Butti Bin Suhail Al Maktoum, has bought a top-league Spanish football team set to be renamed ‘Team Dubai’.

The privately-held firm said in a statement Tuesday that it has taken over ownership of a La Liga – Spain’s premiership league – team in a deal to be announced Thursday.

“The said team will be named as ‘Team Dubai’,” the statement said.

The unnamed club is speculated to be the debt-ridden Spanish club Zaragoza. Spanish media reports in February a Dubai sovereign wealth fund had made a €3m buyout offer for the team.

The deal reportedly included a guarantee to service the club’s debts, taking the value of the transaction to around €130m.

http://tinyurl.com/6ervgkw

Oh dear..

Yeah i saw that

wonder what their fans think.

If Randy came here and called us Team America there'd be a riot (aswell as lots of jokes about Team America/ Puppets/ Mock-Ups of Petrov as Captain America)

Oooh, that's poor form.

Hardly a good way to endear yourself to the supporters. Surely shirt / stadium sponsorship would have been more appropriate.

Going wildly and irresponsibly off topic, but part of me wonders if, as a human race, we would have benefited from a different area of the world sitting on these oil reserves. Cant help but wonder if, had a traditionally more innovative Area of the world benefitted from such wealth, we would currently be staring down the barrell of Nuclear Fusion, Renewable energy and Clean transportation instead of Rediculous Hotels, Insanely tall buildings and Bloody Man City. Trying not to cast dispersions over the people who live there as a race, but I've yet to see evidence of them spending their money on anything beneficial to the outside world.

/Rant.

Horrendous decision. What an absolute sell-out that chairman is. If Randy did that, there'd be no chance of me supporting anyone other than Aston Villa.

But what if it's that or the club going under?

Horrendous decision. What an absolute sell-out that chairman is. If Randy did that, there'd be no chance of me supporting anyone other than Aston Villa.

But what if it's that or the club going under?

I'd support the new version. Like AFC Wimbledon, not MK Dons.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else watch Real Madrid play after a Villa match and get depressed?? Anyways, who here rates Esteban Granero?? Creative midfielder, lacking playing time at Madrid. Speaks English pretty well....will turn 24 this summer. Whaddya think?

Â