The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I like Granero he is a fighter as well and was brilliant at Getafe. Wouldnt mind a punt on Pedro Leon on loan as he has no future at Real Madrid under Mourinho

Coruna are back in the relegation zone for the first time since week 9 and I can't see them escaping. They have 5th placed Bilbao, 1st placed Barcelona & 3rd placed Valencia left to play this season. The one saving grace is that the Barca match is the only away fixture and they're a lot better at home.

The last time they were relegated from the top flight was 1973 (and it took them 18 years to get back up).

One thing that annoys me is people saying ''the spanish league is the scottish league with sun''. Absolute nonsense, their big 2 are the two best sides in the world (i think madrid would of beaten manchester over two legs) with world class players in every position. Rangers and Celtic are barely average in European terms. Secondly the 3rd team in scotland, whoever they are, are not one of the top 16 sides in Europe. The 3rd place team in Spain who are Valancia are. The remaining teams in Spain from 4th to 10th are probably stronger then any other leagues 4-10th - and yes I am including the premiership in that. Although the Spanish league has 2 teams much better then the rest, the rest are still pretty good, whereas the rest in Scotland are ****.

I was in Camp Neu this Sunday. Barcelona-Espanyol 2-0. Magnificent stadium 90.000 people in there, the football played - Meh... Barca did not do anything more than they needed to. Dani Osvaldo (the Espanyol striker) impressed me, he will play for a better side next season IMO.

Great experience and Barcelona is a great city to be in!

It must be rubbish being an Espanyol fan. You cant even really claim the usual things that the smaller team in a cross city rivalry tends to claim (ie, everybody who supports the other lot is a glory hunting bastard from Surrey) because of the nature of Espanyol's existence.

• 2 weeks later...
Coruna are back in the relegation zone for the first time since week 9 and I can't see them escaping. They have 5th placed Bilbao, 1st placed Barcelona & 3rd placed Valencia left to play this season. The one saving grace is that the Barca match is the only away fixture and they're a lot better at home.

The last time they were relegated from the top flight was 1973 (and it took them 18 years to get back up).

:shock: Coruna down.

They deserve it they are so poor attacking. They play like sha are in Premier LEague with 11 men behind the ball and with a shit striker like Riki relegation was inevitable.

Sad for Valeron and sad for the club as they were a joy to watch 10 years ago with that brilliant team with Fran, Djalminha, Bebeto, Rivaldo all great players the club once had

Yep, it's been on the cards for a few years now since that great title winning team of Naybet, Mauro Silva, Djalminha, Roy Maakay and............Walter Panidani all got old and the money ran out.

That said, considering all the league once again got twatted by Real Madrid and Barca, how did the 3rd relegated team go down with 43 points when the prem was much more competitive and yet SHA went down with 39 points?

Apart from the top 2 the rest of the league is really competitive as i think Europa League spot only had 55 points. Osasuna went from 16th to 9th on last day with their win

Props to Ronaldo for hitting 40 league goals this season too. For anybody to 40 goals in a 38 game season is incredible, but Ronaldo had an injury and only played in 34 of those games. Amazing stuff.

Yeah he had a phenomenal end to the season didn't he? He's like a footballing robot. It's a bit of a shame that Real didn't push Barca a bit further so he and Messi would both have been at full throttle in the last few games going for the golden boot

I just noticed that Iker Casillas turned 30 on Friday. It's amazing to think how many international caps this bloke could end up with, to win 119 full caps before your 30th birthday is mind boggling. If he keeps on playing for Spain at an average of 10 caps a season he might get close to 200 before he retires.

the guy is a modern legend of the game. HE has a few detractors in England and by Fabio Capello but for consistency and use of ability probably never a better goalkeeper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Granada & Elche drew 0-0 in the first leg of the La Liga promotion playoff final. The 2nd leg is Saturday in Elche.

Why is it so late? The winning team will not have time to prepare for the new season.

• 1 month later...
Â