The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Adios Lopetegui

He'd been gone for a while as far as I can tell. but Madrid wouldn't get a new manager in before the Clasico in case this happened.  From being in a position where he had a realistic chance to win the World Cup with Spain to almost certainly being sacked in the week the clocks go back is a hell of a fall for Lopetegui.   He'll probably land on his feet though, everybody gets sacked at Real Madrid and their poor form is as much to do with structural failures in the club as it was to do with him.  I don't think they were prepared for Zidane and Ronaldo to leave in the same summer and not replacing Ronaldo properly seems insane, even if they thought he'd be around for another year the fact that he's 33 going on 34 should have meant they were doing the groundwork to get someone else in, surely?

I also mainly dont get the Benzema obsession, he got 5 goals in the league last season. Morata probably got double that for Chelsea and he was awful

They signed a guy from Lyon for 30 million and he cant get a game ahead of Benzema

Benzema definitely helped Ronaldo score more goals, he did a lot of the donkey work, won headers, held the ball up (etc) and sacrificed his own goal tally for the good of the team. He could have been a 30 goal a season striker five or six years ago but his game had to change to accommodate Ronaldo and I'm not sure he can instantly go back to being Mr Prolific. Maybe Madrid will go all out for Neymar in the summer. Maybe they'll even go for him in January if PSG don't make it out of their group in the Champions League. 

they seemed very blinkered towards neymar and mbappe in the summer, mbappe in particular despite the media spouting some bollocks about him not being a PSG player was never happening

i dont know about neymar, i dont think he is the answer to their problems, also not sure at this stage if they can tempt dybala from juve who will get a mega move in the next couple of years, leaves kane and icardi as the 2 big signings to try and get an instant fix, they will ignore both of those though and go all out for hazard, i dont think he is the answer either

Hazard probably won't go there if Conte is the next manager, right? I don't think M'Bappe was ever going to leave PSG this summer and probably not for a few years yet. He's Paris born and raised, a PSG fan and whether you believe them or not the players at that club certainly think the team is good enough to win the Champions League. Maybe when he's 23-25 he'll be looking at moving, but not yet. 

Pochettino will be on his way there & Kane will follow in Jan. 2 birds, 1 stone.

His comments over the weekend look like a " I am sick of this & we will never win anything, come get me" shout to Real

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46016575

"The season so far, it's strange because my feeling is the worst I've had in the five years that I've been here," he added. "But it's the best start ever for the club in the Premier League. It's strange, no?

"It's so difficult to explain because many things happen, I am disappointed we are still waiting for the new stadium when the expectation was to be there at the beginning of the season.

"I know I always have a good relationship with the media but my feeling is not the best feeling, I had a better feeling in previous seasons."

Spurs 'not focused on winning titles'

Pochettino also says the club "is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games", because they "need to fix other problems" and have "different circumstances" to the rest of the Premier League's biggest clubs.

"We have a lot of focus and you know very well when you are competing with sides like we are in the Champions League and Premier League, the most important thing is to fight in the same conditions as others," he said.

"Today, we spend a lot of energy in many things. One is to win games, but the club needs to be all focused in trying to win titles.

"Everything is not perfect but we are in a circumstance and a project that is completely different to another club, at the moment.

"But maybe when we arrive to the new stadium in the future, we will be in the same project, or we are going to act the same as other teams are acting like Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal."

Edited by LakotaDakota

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's done everything he can there, and he's been let down in terms of transfers and the ground.  United should be keeping an eye on things too, having backed the wrong horse with Mourinho and missing out on Guardiola and Klopp.

for a moment I thought you were talking about Lopetegui :lol:

This was always one of the shadiest big transfers in recent years, but the cynic in me can't see past him getting the usual Spanish footballer punishment of 2 years probation and a hefty fine.

Brazilian sensation Neymar could face up to six years in prison as courts re-examine his move from boyhood club Santos to Barcelona.

Last year Barcelona superstar Neymar was ordered to stand trial by the Spanish court for fraud regarding his transfer to the Nou Camp.

The Brazilian made the switch to Catalonia in 2013 after four years after progressing through the ranks as a youngster.

Reports from Spain now suggest the national court has decided at the last minute to refer to the Criminal Chamber in front of three magistrates.

The fact that three judges will sit on the case means sentences can be extended past five years as they are deemed as more serious.

Barcelona newspaper Lavanguardia report they have had access to a ruling which reveals that if found guilty, the sentence could be anything from four to six years.

But the move to next chamber of the Spanish court will delay the start of the case.

The move has been the subject of an investigation since January 2014, with Barcelona and president Josep Maria Bartomeu being charged with tax fraud.

Bartomeu’s final appeal was rejected last year and he must also stand trial over the transfer.

Barca originally claimed they paid €17.1million for the Brazil captain, but a complaint made from a club member prompted a legal case.

That revealed the club had agreed to pay him €40million in wages, leading to an out of court settlement and the resignation of then-president Sandro Rosell.

However, Rosell’s successor, Bartomeu, revealed Los Cules had actually paid €86.2million.

That led to Brazilian investment company DIS bringing the case, claiming it is due a 40 per cent cut of the fee that Barcelona paid to sign Neymar.

DIS say they have not received the full figure given the uncertainty surrounding the final figure.

Part of Neymar’s defence is that this a case for the Brazilian legal system – not Spain.

The Spanish High Court deemed Bartomeu held “management responsibilities” in line with Rosell, despite only being vice-president at the time.

The prosecutor’s office says the deal altered “the free market of football players by preventing the player from entering the market in accordance with the rules of free competition”.

That hearing also head that ‘the possibility of committing a crime of corruption between individuals is evident’.

https://www.blueprint.ng/neymar-in-fresh-transfer-mess-may-land-in-jail/

Article mentions Daily Mirror but the story is from Spanish paper La Vanguardi originally.

On 22/10/2018 at 15:50, sne said:

BTW I really quite like Ramos, right up the as one of the best defenders in the last 20 years.

Amazed that anyone (aside from Real fans, perhaps) like him.  He the biggest word removed in football by a distance.

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Amazed that anyone (aside from Real fans, perhaps) like him.  He the biggest word removed in football by a distance.

Joey Barton, Steven Gerrard, Andre Gray are 3 worse examples that spring to mind

Lee Bowyer also still involved in football, probably Marlon King too

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Joey Barton, Steven Gerrard, Andre Gray are 3 worse examples that spring to mind

Lee Bowyer also still involved in football, probably Marlon King too

Nah, not at all (Gerrard is a particularly odd inclusion, but I know you hate Liverpool).  You're probably talking about their off the field antics, not at all how they are in the game.

Only Pepe comes close.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Nah, not at all (Gerrard is a particularly odd inclusion, but I know you hate Liverpool).  You're probably talking about their off the field antics, not at all how they are in the game.

Only Pepe comes close.

Ousmane Dabo will say Ramos and Pepe are puppies compared Barton

Btw Gerrard made many horrible tackles  George Boateng tackle was disgusting in 2001 and he beat up a DJ for not playing his tune

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Only Pepe comes close.

pepe was my first thought! absolute thug of a player

id be surprised in anyone comes close to ramos' red card ratio, especially at the level ramos plays at, there's no one else like him

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ousmane Dabo will say Ramos and Pepe are puppies compared Barton

Btw Gerrard made many horrible tackles  George Boateng tackle was disgusting in 2001 and he beat up a DJ for not playing his tune

Ramos and Pepe actively go out of their way to injure fellow professionals on a football pitch - not just a random one-off in 2001 (**** lol).  They are utter scum.

Â