General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

Hi General,

In relation to lower attendances one suggestion may be to offer a larger range of 'finance' packages.

Currently it's pay in full or three monthly instalments but surely a system could be worked out where by fans are paying smaller instalments (or direct Debit) over a longer period - charging differing ranges of interest or writing in a 'exit fee' if leaving early: much like mobile phone contracts.

I appreciate Villa's attempts to help people afford to head down to VP and this is just another suggestion.

I would be happy to start paying on a DD now for next season, say over 9 or 10 months, if it's a case that all the money needs to be in before the season kicks off. Gets expensive with season tickets particulary when you have kids.

I would just like to add a thanks to the General for providing a voice of sanity over the summer break (not that there weren't others doing so too). Hope you are feeling recovered and if not a nice big derby win may make a good tonic!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi General,

In relation to lower attendances one suggestion may be to offer a larger range of 'finance' packages.

Currently it's pay in full or three monthly instalments but surely a system could be worked out where by fans are paying smaller instalments (or direct Debit) over a longer period - charging differing ranges of interest or writing in a 'exit fee' if leaving early: much like mobile phone contracts.

I appreciate Villa's attempts to help people afford to head down to VP and this is just another suggestion.

I would be happy to start paying on a DD now for next season, say over 9 or 10 months, if it's a case that all the money needs to be in before the season kicks off. Gets expensive with season tickets particulary when you have kids.

I would just like to add a thanks to the General for providing a voice of sanity over the summer break (not that there weren't others doing so too). Hope you are feeling recovered and if not a nice big derby win may make a good tonic!

General, thats a great idea if this could be done. I struggled to get my Season Ticket this year and had to take out the Villa CC in the end and managed to get interest free on it.

My little one is 5 next year and is already expressing an interest in going to more games than his 1 or 2 treats per year (and wants to be a mascot which is going to cost me heaps as well).

Russ

General Krulak here:

1. YorkshireCoop and Razor: It is not that I don't understand what you are saying...I understand it all too well. It is simply that I think that this particular line of thinking gets Clubs in trouble...and we don't want that to happen to us. We are looking for players who play our brand of football (the brand our Manger desires), who play their hearts out every game, who run their socks off, and who can be counted upon by their teammates. The player who elicits the occasional "wow, how did he manage to do that?" may well be the player who should have passed to the open man about 3 seconds earlier. Yes, it is great viewing...but is it team play? I've seen some pretty "wow" plays from some of out lads...Ashley, Gabby, to name two. Watching Carew give the Blues defenders absolute fits...holding the ball, turning, passing, shooting...I got one helluva wow out of that! I just think it is totally sad when ticket sales are based on what one or more fans believe is the wow factor. I am sorry...it is just my opinion.

General I appreciate your opinion but strongly disagree. Watching Carew hold the ball up does not compare to Paul Merson scoring a late minute winner out of the blue on a Monday night at Goodison Park, or watching Beni Carbone rip Leeds United to pieces in a FA Cup tie. It is just not exciting - yes it is good play, but not exciting.

Like I said before, you will always get your 30,000 odd people at Villa Park whether you have Harewood or Messi. However, along with success, exciting players will sell those extra seats and shirts, whether you think it is " totally sad " or not.

General Krulak here:

1. YorkshireCoop and Razor: It is not that I don't understand what you are saying...I understand it all too well. It is simply that I think that this particular line of thinking gets Clubs in trouble...and we don't want that to happen to us. We are looking for players who play our brand of football (the brand our Manger desires), who play their hearts out every game, who run their socks off, and who can be counted upon by their teammates. The player who elicits the occasional "wow, how did he manage to do that?" may well be the player who should have passed to the open man about 3 seconds earlier. Yes, it is great viewing...but is it team play? I've seen some pretty "wow" plays from some of out lads...Ashley, Gabby, to name two. Watching Carew give the Blues defenders absolute fits...holding the ball, turning, passing, shooting...I got one helluva wow out of that! I just think it is totally sad when ticket sales are based on what one or more fans believe is the wow factor. I am sorry...it is just my opinion.

General I appreciate your opinion but strongly disagree. Watching Carew hold the ball up does not compare to Paul Merson scoring a late minute winner out of the blue on a Monday night at Goodison Park, or watching Beni Carbone rip Leeds United to pieces in a FA Cup tie. It is just not exciting - yes it is good play, but not exciting.

Like I said before, you will always get your 30,000 odd people at Villa Park whether you have Harewood or Messi. However, along with success, exciting players will sell those extra seats and shirts, whether you think it is " totally sad " or not.

General,

I remember very well the Merson and Carbone incidents referenced above by YorkshireCoop. I also remember just as exciting moments provided by our current players. I remember Ashley Young's last second winner at Goodison last season and Gabby's late winner against a local team at the sty. Do you think a few fans have grown too familiar with the exciting players that are already at our club? Is this a marketing issue and/or an indictment of people taking familiar things for granted? In my opinion, just because they have developed into, rather than being signed as an 'exciting player', it doesn't mean they're not exciting!

hi general

as your are probably aware birmingham city have charged the villa fans £48 a ticket for the derby on sunday. now we were led to belive this is because thats what they are charging there own fans. now there is speculation going round that they are charging £15 a ticket for adults in so called restricted view areas which are the front 5 rows of there stands. if this is true then surely villa fans who have got tickets on the front 5 rows should also be charged £15. i was wondering if you could get somebody at the club to look into this as it seems they are ripping us off AGAIN!

thanks

Thirded. Seems well out of order.

well any chance of anythink being said or done about this general?

thanks.

Seems I'm going to have to stand up all game just to see the players' feet, so no doubt I'll be kicked out after ten minutes...

General Krulak here:

Agree YorkshireCoop

Villa Park holds 42k plus fans, and in my opinion, the only way to a) fill the ground often and B) play REALLY exciting and WNNING football is to have a Mersonesque player in the team - someone who can change a game with pure football genious.

JC, Gabby and Ash are fab players, however the addition of a real crowd puller would definately take us to the next level.

Maybe in January that will happen ?

No pressure, but when paying so much to watch a game, especially in these times, opportunity costs become more applicable and it would be fantastic for the opportunity cost of going to VP to watch the claret and blue boys is bearable !

General Krulak here:

General,

I remember very well the Merson and Carbone incidents referenced above by YorkshireCoop. I also remember just as exciting moments provided by our current players. I remember Ashley Young's last second winner at Goodison last season and Gabby's late winner against a local team at the sty. Do you think a few fans have grown too familiar with the exciting players that are already at our club? Is this a marketing issue and/or an indictment of people taking familiar things for granted? In my opinion, just because they have developed into, rather than being signed as an 'exciting player', it doesn't mean they're not exciting!

Yes you just picked out exciting goals - but these players are not Merson's or Carbone's. Gabby's goal at the sty was fantastic and one of my best moments in the last few years as a travelling supporter, but he is far from the ticket selling/shirt selling exciting player that we are discussing, IMO of course.

General Krulak here:

General,

Yes you just picked out exciting goals - but these players are not Merson's or Carbone's. Gabby's goal at the sty was fantastic and one of my best moments in the last few years as a travelling supporter, but he is far from the ticket selling/shirt selling exciting player that we are discussing, IMO of course.

General,

It might help some fans if Gabby was signed as a young Brazilian who was one of the fastest players in the world and likely to get into double figures for league goals in a season. Or, if Young was signed as Spanish international who had one of the best goal assist records in La Liga.

I understand YorkshireCoop's point to an extent and perhaps improved marketing of our players would help put some more ‘bums on seats’. I just think it's a shame if we need to sign 'star name' players to generate interest in the club whilst not appreciating the excitement of the players that have developed with us. I do believe if star names that will fit into our team are available, MON will sign them. In the meantime let's appreciate what we've got and spread the word on how good some of our talent is. Don’t let me down Villa!

:flag:

General Krulak here:

General,

General,

It might help some fans if Gabby was signed as a young Brazilian who was one of the fastest players in the world and likely to get into double figures for league goals in a season. Or, if Young was signed as Spanish international who had one of the best goal assist records in La Liga.

I understand YorkshireCoop's point to an extent and perhaps improved marketing of our players would help put some more ‘bums on seats’. I just think it's a shame if we need to sign 'star name' players to generate interest in the club whilst not appreciating the excitement of the players that have developed with us. I do believe if star names that will fit into our team are available, MON will sign them. In the meantime let's appreciate what we've got and spread the word on how good some of our talent is. Don’t let me down Villa!

:flag:

In an ideal world yes, but reality has it that if you sign an exciting player you entertain your fans and they want to come back and watch more. Reality also is, that if you sign a big name, you send a message out to the rest of Europe that you mean business. You start having kids in schools away from birmingham buying your shirts.

General, with this post on mind, what are your thoughts on the way Tottenham run their business? Now on the pitch I feel we are on par with this club at present, but in terms of worldwide support and revenue, I believe they are pretty far ahead? Do you feel this has anything to do with the type of player Tottenham have historically signed ?

By the way, I am not saying I want to copy Spurs because I dont, but just curious as to why you think ( as a fan of course ), Spurs are at this level - especially considering the two clubs histories.

General, thanks for what you and Randy et al are doing for the club. We do not have a Carlos Kickaball or a Kaka etc and for that I am grateful. We have a TEAM that works for each other.

As our attendances for the last two years have risen dramatically without having such players in our team do you think that the drop in attendances might just be something to do with the economic climate rather than the team? or is it just fans expectations are far in excess of what is achievable?

General Krulak here:

1. YorkshireCoop/Razor/etc.: We might as well call a truce on this one. Your rationale is so foreign to me that I have trouble doing anything but shrugging my shoulders. I definitely understand what you are saying but just don't agree. The idea that we will fill the seats at Villa Park because we have someone who has a "wow" factor...notwithstanding that he may not be as good as who we have now or may not fit into the way we play the game but...wow, he is fun to watch, is just not part of my thinking or my upbringing. I will take the solid team player who lays it all on the line every game, who can hold the ball when needed, pass accurately when needed, defend brilliantly when needed and put the ball in the back of the net when needed...ALL done whilst playing our brand of football! Give me that lad any day!! I have seen too many examples of the "wow" guys who caused more problems within a squad than they were worth. As for how "ambitious" a Club is, I am not sure how to define that. For the past two summers, we have spent more money net-net than any Club in the Premiership except for one. Does that define "ambition"? As for the Spurs.....one simple fact: Until I got sick, I travelled ALL over the world! Not just Europe but the Middle East, South America and Asia. I can HONESTLY say that I have NEVER seen a Spurs shirt during those travels. NEVER!! I doubt if many of the people in those areas even know who the Spurs are. I am not sure what you are seeing re. the Spurs as a Club that would make them be something we should try to emulate but I can tell you, they aren't very visible. I use the famous "Disney World Sanity Check"...if I see a shirt at Disney World, then something is going right. Last time I was at Disney World I saw a ton of ManU, Barcelona, and Real Madrid shirts...I saw a lesser number of Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea shirts AND I saw 3 Villa shirts. ZERO Spurs shirts. How is that for a classy survey???? May I suggest that we let this one lie. We will never come to an agreement. Suffice it to say that I understand your point but don't agree...so lets just agree to disagree and get on with beating the Blues.

Dear General,

I like your Disney World test of Greatness/ Sanity. Might I suggest you ask your physician whether a couple of weeks in Devon/ Cornwall might fit into your recuperation plan next summer? The Villa shirt count is very impressive down there!

Keep the Faith & UTV!

Good post General, my own word to sum up those who want to sign 'a big foreign name' wouldn't be "AMBITION", it would be "DELUSION". It is too soon in the season to see any real trend with attendances but, if they are down, then it is probably due mostly to the recession and our form at the end of last season.

i dont know if anyones mentuioned it but a lot of people like old season reviews like the dvd you buy now from the store but previous seasons alot of these r on vhs and if the club had the master copies i think as someone said it wud be a great idea to sell them in the shop or maybe even downloadable on itunes something like the 93-94 season

To change the topic a little General, can I just say what a great decision it is by Mangini to start Brady Quinn this weekend, he will be the future of the franchise and I think he will do brilliantly this season. Please wish all those at the Browns well for the season ahead.

And to add, great post, my thoughts exactly.

Good post General, my own word to sum up those who want to sign 'a big foreign name' wouldn't be "AMBITION", it would be "DELUSION". It is too soon in the season to see any real trend with attendances but, if they are down, then it is probably due mostly to the recession and our form at the end of last season.

I agree with Turamber here General!

I think you will find that, once we have beaten the Blues and are settled within the top 6 after seven or eight games, the fans will be flooding back through the gates!

I have recently been to Dorset and saw 3 Villa shirts and no Spurs shirts, North Wales 2 Villa shirts and no Spurs shirts (plenty of Liverpool and Man U though). Not sure why people are building assumptions on Spurs or any other club for that matter on estimated and outdated figures or no figures at all, just hearsay.

Star Player? For every Merson there is a Ginola. As for Carbone, IMO he only ever performed in odd games and is no more a flair player than either Young, Milner or Delph.

IMO Our profile has been raised more than most other Premier League teams (bar one!) in the last 3 seasons and for that I would like to thanks the whole team at Villa, keep up the good work. UTV