General Krulak (part 2) and *STILL NO TRANSFER QUESTIONS*

LancsVillan

3. heystally: As a Director of the Club, I probably should not comment on Player of the Seson. As a Fan, I think we have had some real standouts. Of course I look at them with the eyes of an old Marine so what I think is noteworthy may not appear that way to others. If you ask me the question at the end of the season, I promise I will answer it...as a Fan.

That would be Stilyan Petrov then General :D

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'Day General,

After ten years of Villa support from the other side of the world - Tasmania - I am stoked to be making a debut appearance at Villa Park for the last game of the season - 24 May v Newcastle.

I was travelling to UK for a holiday and completely re-routed it when I realised I was arriving too late for a Villa game. The fact that the game could make or break the season makes it all the better!

Unfortunately I am coming up a bit stuck when it comes to getting tickets: the woman at the ticketing office that I talked it through with said they cannot guarantee tickets for international travellers - especially for category A games.

General - what is your advice? Is there a scheme for international supporters or someway I can guarantee a ticket rather than just watch it from a Brummie pub? (Which Im sure would be great as well!)

Cheers, Ben

General Krulak here:

1. Tubby: There is no question that Petrov has played "guts ball" this season.

2. dundeevilla: Give Duncan Riddle a call at AVFC telephone switchboard, ext. 413.

3. mcben: I would ask that you call and speak directly to Nicky Keye...the Head of Ticketing. Explain the situation and what you are doing. I think she will help you sort this out.

Hi General,

Very good performance today, despite being kicked in the teeth right at the death. After losing 5-0 to Liverpool, and heading to Old Trafford, probably our worst visiting ground in the Premier League, the lads really fought well, and deserved to get something out of the game. Please pass on congrats on the performance, it was a good performance more than anything that we needed to help us finish of the season with six out of six wins (and at least a point against Everton).

I'm still sceptical we'll finish fourth, but pushing the Champions all the way shows we're not out of this yet.

Guest Ricardomeister

In general a good performance against an under-strength Man United team at least for 70 odd minutes. However, we have to develop the mental toughness to close out games. We have now conceded 13 goals in the last 5 minutes of games this season (plus several crucial ones last season). If we are ever to become a top 4 club then we need the mental toughness that Man United showed. They were rubbish for most of the game, but at the crucial time they came good and we faltered again. From your time in the Marines, General, you must know something about instilling mental toughness into people. What advice would you give?

Good hearty display today General, I hope the fact that we gave away two goals late on does not make the heads drop as we had them on the bubble. Well done the Villa boys and well done Gabby, much improved.

Hi General,

I just wanted to let you know that many of us are proud of the way Villa performed today. We deserved to win, yet we just couldn't get the result in the end. Mostly due to poor officiating throughout the game. Please let the players know that despite losing, we are proud of the effort they put in. We deserved more from the game, but we didn't get it. I hope they can give that type of display for the rest of the season. If they can then I will have no complaints. Despite losing I felt proud of the way the team performed today. Everyone on the pitch gave it there all and I hope their heads don't drop due to an unfortunate (and extremely unlucky) loss.

General, any way of asking the referee or some officials where the 5min ET came from? I know its a bit small time and sour grapes but I fail to see where they got 5 mins from, even though the goal was scored within 3 min's which was prob fair...

General, i know you get lots of messages to pass on but if you could let the squad know that yesterday was everything i could ever ask of a villa side. Yes we made mitakes but our heads did not drop, we were not afraid and we gave everything we have. I couldnt ask for more, if we do that weak in and week out we get our rewards. I couldnt be prouder of the boys today, the result would have made me happier, but not prouder. UTV

General Krulak here:

1. The game: Unfortunately, I was unable to get to UK for game. I have a Board Meeting on west coast and ended up watching game on telly. I hate watching on the telly because you don't get a real sense of what is happening on the Pitch. With this as a qualifying statement, let me give you one fan's opinion: 1) I thought our lads played with much more passion and guts this game. 2) I actually thought we had the better of the game for a significant part of the game. 3) I thought that Carew was a handful up front...of course the camera could only focus on him so I had a tough time seeing what our other lads were doing to help him...but he looked like a horse up front. 4) We could not close them out...simple as that. We need to be able to have a 5 minute injury time thrown at us and not worry...just close it out.

2. I do think we came back from our past few weeks' form...I really do. I think the lads gave it 110% and if we do that for the rest of the games, there is no reason we can't win them all. Everton will be a HUGE game but I do believe we will win it. We just need to continue to play hard and with confidence.

General, nice to see your opinion on Carew.

I suppose it's hard to pass the fans opinion on without "interfering"...just wondering if you've ever told Martin what the fans think, because it's quite clear to see, 99% of Villa fans wanted to see John Carew play with Agbonlahor, we know Heskey's a good player, but not on the same level to John as shown against Man United.

Nice to see in the BBC Sport interview that Martin said he really needs to strengthen, hopefully by that he means QUALITY over Quantity.

Will you be there for the Everton game General?

General i think i asked the question in part 1 about a year ago but after seeing a 17 yr old wonder kid score against us on Sunday i was wondering what Villa was doing to secure these brilliant youngsters

I made a thread:-

please use short links

Can you let us know how we look for youngsters for our youth set up at moment, how far deep we look, just seems we pay over the odds for average youngsters when there are class apart on Brazil, Italy etc

Could Villa/Randy lok into or address into finding these wonderkids for the future (Better scouting network), these type of kids the Villa fans love instantly!!! :D

Do you think it would be possible for starting 11 to get the Holte End going before the kick off against Everton this weekend?

i.e. have the team sprint out behind Barry and make some arm gestures and get everyone pumped

It would be really simple thing to implement and would create a terrific response

General Krulak here:

1. Playing on Easter: I am a Christian and find it difficult to see a game played on such an important day in our Calendar. I am sure other faiths could make the very same point about other days. In the US we have games played on Christmas and on Thanksgiving..and Easter. When that happens, I think it is up to the individual as to what he does...attend or not.

2. We have a scouting organization that does have an insight into significant areas of the world. We are NOT just letting opportunites slip by re. players...it is just that there will always be ones missed. That is just the name of the game.

3. A salary cap has worked well for American football...it has its flaws but it also has made for a more competitive league. I am not sure how a cap would work in Football because of the world-wide appeal of the game. You could never survive with a salary cap in the UK and not one in Europe...for obvious reasons.

4. We will have around 40K at the game.

5. I can assure all fans that MON is aware of the feelings of the Fans. At the same time, he needs to balance those feelings against his own knowledge of his Squad and his strategy and his sense of where we are. Obviously, MON must make his decisions based upon his view...the day he starts managing the team with an eye on the fans or on the Board, we will be in trouble. As a Manager, he needs to be able to do what he feels is best for the Club. As you might imagine, the Board has great confidence in MON and believes that, at the end of the day, he is doing what is right for the Club. No one is perfect...not me, not Randy and not MON...BUT, if you look at the entire "body of work", MON has done a superb job here at Villa...and I respect him for what he has done and what he WILL do. He knows that we are behind him.