Running

trimandson

Getting side stitch now in every run its costing me about 10-20 seconds per km ..it happens about 1 kilometre in until the 3rd I have tried more hydration not eating, eating, less hydration just getting annoying now

Do you know how to breath whilst running to combat this? And i'm not talking about the PE teacher in through your nose out through your mouth method?

Basically if your stitch is on the left... slow down then every time your right foot hits the ground exaggerate breath out forcing your stomach out as well, breath in and again exaggerate out with stomach. Vice versa if the stitch is the other side.

It will feel odd but a few of these should help, you've got to proper slow down to its almost hope skip and jump for each outward breath.

Dont eat at least a couple of ours before (unless its a banana or something like that)

Stich's will improve as your get fitter, same with feeling stiff vanishes as well.

• Like 1

I can't really breath through the nose but I'm doing the breath in for two and breath out for two steps ....I'm going to down a load of water at work today see if it improves ...as all of my runs are after work

Water makes no difference. Stitch isn't hydration related. It's purely asking muscles to do more than they're ready for. The classic running side stitch is from those muscles having to do a lot of work to stabilise you while you're running. Slow down a bit and do pressups and core work on rest days.

I dont think anybody actually knows what causes a stitch or how to get rid of it, its all conjecture. I personally seem to only get a stitch when im dehydrated, but could be coincidence.

I dont think anybody actually knows what causes a stitch or how to get rid of it, its all conjecture. I personally seem to only get a stitch when im dehydrated, but could be coincidence.

True. I think hydration has always been too easy an answer though. Like a hangover, because you get a dry throat everyone assumed it was because you're dehydrated and hence it's accepted that alcohol dehydrates you. Now they've discovered that it doesn't touch your hydration levels and the effects are purely the body's immune system fighting off the alcohol.

Can't say for certain obviously and it's always good to be hydrated anyway because when dehydrated I seize up like a rusty gate!

First 10k ever didn't run for time but got 54.33 absolutely buzzing ...I found the second 5 k a lot easier than the first

Congrats fella It's a good buzz to get

Anyone here wear a Garmin and/or HRM?

• Like 1

Just went for my first trail run since injuring my calf a month and a half ago. The run was slow and easy, but aside from some stiffness, I don't seem to have done any further damage, so here's to steady improvement.

Yup Garmin Forerunner 620 and HRM here..
You using a Polar HRM? Easy enough to sync and how's the route mapping, you plug directly into USB? Thanks mate

You using a Polar HRM? Easy enough to sync and how's the route mapping, you plug directly into USB? Thanks mate

I use Garmin's own HRM-Run which tracks Cadence, Vertical oscillation and Ground contact time.

The Forerunner connects directly to my phone and will sync to Garmin connect via bluetooth or wireless, then subsequently to Strava.

You can connect via USB as well, and will sync fairly easily. All of the Garmin Forerunner range will connect via USB, some like mine do it wirelessly though.

I use Garmin's own HRM-Run which tracks Cadence, Vertical oscillation and Ground contact time.

The Forerunner connects directly to my phone and will sync to Garmin connect via bluetooth or wireless, then subsequently to Strava.

You can connect via USB as well, and will sync fairly easily. All of the Garmin Forerunner range will connect via USB, some like mine do it wirelessly though.

Is there anything your Garmin doesn't do that you wish it would? To be honest, my main concern is HR Zones at the minute, if I can glance and get myself % of MHR and my distance/pace I'm pretty much sold. Thanks for the info so far too mucker

Is there anything your Garmin doesn't do that you wish it would? To be honest, my main concern is HR Zones at the minute, if I can glance and get myself % of MHR and my distance/pace I'm pretty much sold. Thanks for the info so far too mucker

Not really, it cost me a bloody fortune! The HR zones are good, you can edit the screens to show you pace, average pace, lap, HR etc. The new one reads you heart rate from the watch on your wrist rather than needing an HR strap, which would be handy.

This article has a good review of my watch.

Are HR taken from wrists as accurate? I've seen that a few places lately but I'm sceptical (with no evidence). Will check the review thanks mate, you're a damn good egg

Probably not, new tech and all. Couple of generations to sort out all the niggles.
Yeah you may be right there, thanks for all the help mate

I have a garmin 910xt and a garmin heart rate strap, both are excellent.

Happy with todays parkrun as first time i have had no pain for a while and also paced a mate to sub 19 and it felt suprisingly easy. May have to do a 5/10k race to see how i am.

Â