Band of Brothers fans...

trekka

The book is also disappointing. Written by Mark Ambrose, and he sadly lacks the writing talent of his late dad.

I dunno if it was a publishers/editor thing, but it has the most irritatingly "dumbed down" explanations I've ever seen in a history book. EVERYTHING is laboriously explained to a ludicrous degree. For example, when told that the recruiting tent conteained a number of NCOs, we are then told (in brackets) that "NCO" means "non-commissioned officer". OOO-KAYYYY. But then it is FURTHER explained that this means "sergeants, corporals, etc." For ****'s sake, who is this book aimed at?

We are also told that "R.A.F." stands for "the Royal Air Force (of Great Britain)", that the port side of a ship is the left, and that the captain is sometimes known as "the skipper". Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!

If they were really worried that we wouldn't understand this, they should have put in a glossary instead of repeatedly embedding definitions in the text. But no. And no index either - always a black mark in my book.

I saw episode 1 on Sunday night......

It was okay....BoB did an excellent job of defining all the main characters in the first episode....in this, they didn't.

I guess comparing it to BoB is unfair, but it's inevitable.

It was decent stuff, but it could be a lot better. I'm hoping so.

Band of Brothers was the best mini-series in history, full stop. Like maproll said, The Pacific didn't really define all the main characters well so its extremely hard to catch on with whoes who. Watch two episodes now, didn't think much of the first episode but the second was explosive. Brilliant episode and im hoping the rest are just like it. Even if this series comes halfway close to how good BoB was it'll be brilliant.

So. It looks like:

Band of Brothers > Saving Private Ryan

The Pacific < The Thin Red Line

SPR was complete dung other than the beach storming.

Even the beach landing - for all its impact - had a major flaw. It didn't give any impression of the sheer scale of the operation. It gave the impression that it was a company-scale assault, and it took under an hour to completely secure the beach.

If you read contemporary accounts, and look at some of the photographs taken at the time, you realise that there were thousands and thousands of men, and hundreds of vehicles involved - filling the beach and stretching as far as the eye could see (not to mention a sea FULL of ships, and aircraft constantly overhead). And it ground on all day long, hour after hour, after hour.

Now I appreciate that a two-hour film can't possibly replicate all that, but it's worth bearing in mind when you watch it.

I noticed they got the 'decapitated head with a severed dick shoved in its mouth' scene in pretty quickly.

WTF is all that about? :shock:

Never read a war book? It's been a common practice since war began.

Never heard that one before.

I'm sure that happens in the Sven Hassel war books too

• 2 weeks later...

Don't usually like war programmes but decided to give the first 2 episodes a go seeing as they were on Sky Anytime. They were OK. I haven't caught the bug yet but I'll watch the 3rd one and we'll see :)

I haven't watched Episode 3 yet.....it's Sky+ for tomorrow, but I thought the first 2 episodes of Pacific were excellent...

Sobering account of War and the awful effects in has on ordinary people & their lives..., which so often gets overlooked in gung ho accounts.

Watched the Making of Pacific also....with Tom Hanks et al....very interesting.

I wondered about the actor playing Eugene......what was he the star of...when he was young.. was it ET?...It's bugging me!

I haven't watched Episode 3 yet.....it's Sky+ for tomorrow, but I thought the first 2 episodes of Pacific were excellent...

Sobering account of War and the awful effects in has on ordinary people & their lives..., which so often gets overlooked in gung ho accounts.

Watched the Making of Pacific also....with Tom Hanks et al....very interesting.

I wondered about the actor playing Eugene......what was he the star of...when he was young.. was it ET?...It's bugging me!

Close! He was the lil kid in Jurrasic Park!

Is anyone else a teeny tiny bit concerned with the timing of this mini-series?

You're going to have to give me a little more to go on BOF.

I'm three episodes in, thought it was so so until third episode.

Will stick with it now.

Â