Band of Brothers fans...

trekka

i missed 5, which was the beach assault on Peleiu, I can watch six tonight which is the one after where they need to get to an airfield? or from an airfield or something.

Unless I can get hold of a free stream of episode 5, I have missed it for good. It's not even on Sky Anytime on the skybox anymore :(

really **** off.

Every stream site online requires you to 'enter a free comp' in order to prove you are human. Ghey!

I'll be waiting for the terrestrial broadcast or a reasonably priced DVD, whichever comes sooner.

I'm guessing that Vernon Micheel, a major character in the book, won't feature (carrier dive bomber pilot - I'll bet they don't have the planes).

Just working my way through BoB again now - really an amazing show.

The Pacific is good too - but you get the feeling they have tried to widen its appeal to get higher ratings.

The episode set in Melbourne was rubbish - portraying these Aussie girls as sluts that would open up for any Yank with a chat-up line. Say it ain't so Nan!

I was really interested in the first couple as I grew up on Guadalcanal and actually lived on one of the ridges outside Honiara where some of the worst fighting was located. Used to find shrapnel, bullet casings and all sorts of goodies around the neighbourhood. My dad was digging up peanuts from his vegie garden one time and unearthed two unexploded grenades and had to call the disposal squad down to take them away.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, purely on the basis that it's apparently the best so far. I have been disappointed, but think it can redeem itself as a top notch war drama. No way that it will ever live up to Band of Brothers but then nothing really could.

Just watching the start of last weeks episode 5 Peleliu. Behind cos been busy am recording 6 as well....

Never seen Band of Brothers..only snippets but someone's just leant me the whole series on DVD. So I'll just have to watch it!!

The episode set in Melbourne was rubbish - portraying these Aussie girls as sluts that would open up for any Yank with a chat-up line. Say it ain't so Nan!

:lol: I don't think it was far off. In Leckie's book he calls their time in Melbourne 'The Great Debauch.'

I'm guessing that Vernon Micheel, a major character in the book, won't feature (carrier dive bomber pilot - I'll bet they don't have the planes).

No, he's not a character. The miniseries was originally planned to have 13 episodes focusing on 5 main characters, one of them a pilot, but they cut it down. You do see some corsairs bomb Bloody Nose Ridge in episode 7, though.

For me, the miniseries started off a bit slow but it's been getting better and better. The Peleliu arc was as good as anything I saw in Band of Brothers, and last night's episode with Basilone and Iwo Jima was very well done too. I love Band of Brothers, but at times it was a bit too romantic, a bit too polished, and had more of a 'Greatest Generation' feel to it. Nothing wrong with that, and they were probably more respectful since a lot of the men depicted were still alive at the time. What I like about The Pacific is that it goes where Band of Brothers wouldn't. They complement each other quite well.

Just wait til episode 6, it actually matches Band Of Brothers for the first time.

The fact that you have to sit through five episodes to get to one that's good says it all, for me. Major let down.

I'll be waiting for the terrestrial broadcast or a reasonably priced DVD, whichever comes sooner.

Haven't seen any of the series yet but recently read the book and thought it was very good.

Watched episode 6 last night and have to say it was brilliant. Definitely the best so far. Very intense. I've never seen BoB so I don't have this disappointment gauge that most seem to have - which is probably to my benefit tbh.

*** SPOILER ****

and the fact that things actually happen to some of the main characters is actually a nice bit of reality. Most of the time you assume the main cast will remain unscathed.

and the fact that things actually happen to some of the main characters is actually a nice bit of reality.
Spoiler alert for anybody planning to read the book:

Don't look at the second set of pictures before you read.

Just screened the Pelieu landing over here. Was very good, although I was a bit bemused to see so many Eucalyptus trees on a Micronesian atoll :)

There's too much drama in this, it's making it very dull.
:? :huh::lol:

?

I'm just saying that it's effectively a drama set in World War 2, not a War Drama if that makes sense (I said this a few pages back).

• 2 weeks later...

Probably says more about me than the show, but after 7 episodes I still only know one character's name and even that's a nickname. Every time they announce "[ insert name ] is dead" I think "who?".

But the 'splashing' of stones into the scalped Japanese head was one of the laugh-out-loud disgustingly funny things I'd seen in a while :lol:

Probably says more about me than the show, but after 7 episodes I still only know one character's name

Nop BOF I'm the same. I don't think you get to hear their names that much and because the story swaps from character to character alot you don't get chance to empathise with each one so much as a normal drama.

Just finished watching Episode 7... gruelling and gruesome to watch, and the more it goes on the more futile it shows war to be.

Pulls no punches and shows the US troops to be very cruel at times.

Glad I'm a passifist cos there is no way I could be trained to kill anyone, but then again maybe that's the reason women in general don't go to war.

Probably says more about me than the show, but after 7 episodes I still only know one character's name and even that's a nickname. Every time they announce "[ insert name ] is dead" I think "who?".

But the 'splashing' of stones into the scalped Japanese head was one of the laugh-out-loud disgustingly funny things I'd seen in a while :lol:

Thats the thing for me, in Band Of Brothers you felt you knew them before they even got to france. Pacific is a lot more distant and I don't really know them as it went pretty much straight into the action and they are all the same.

But I am only on episode 3 so hope I will grow to love as I love WWII films/programmes

Â