The most overrated destinations -- and the most underrated

Marka Ragnos

Where did you go and find the travel destination overrated?

Where did you go and find it underrated?

Top of my overrated list has to be Venice. It may just be my personality, but I found it ugly, uncomfortable, boring and the just way too touristy. It's been 25 years since I went there, so perhaps things have changed for the better, but I can't even remember why I bothered to go. It was so underwhelming.

The most underrated for me has to be upcountry in the southwest of Tanzania, towards Mbeya. It's hilly and green and feels so distant from all my usual reference points, but it has a human warmth, too, that has stayed with me. Never knew a thing about it until I went, and I've never met a single person besides my wife who has been.

• Like 1

Amsterdam most over rated for me , it’s  like the most unoriginal lads do destination and a bit boring in all honesty … and the beer is shite as well 

under rated , unfortunately it’s probably not a good time to go there but Iran is amazing and perfectly safe most of the time 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

under rated , unfortunately it’s probably not a good time to go there but Iran is amazing and perfectly safe most of the time 

I've heard the same but is it worth the US visa black mark? :D

We're looking at a work trip to the US in the summer and my colleague who was in Iran 8 years ago is having major issues.

Yeah another shout for Amsterdam, I'd throw Barcelona in there too. 

Underrated is more difficult, but I loved Bosnia both times I went (although its probably not rated tbh). 

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've heard the same but is it worth the US visa black mark? :D

We're looking at a work trip to the US in the summer and my colleague who was in Iran 8 years ago is having major issues.

I've been denied pending further investigation from the US for 5 years now , still trying to resolve it  

Mind you I have pretty much the full axis of evil set in my passport , but I'm not sure it rally matters  1 or 6 you still aint coming in 

57 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Underrated is more difficult, but I loved Bosnia both times I went (although its probably not rated tbh). 

I did a quick weekend there , Tito's bunker , the old winter Olympics stuff , the tunnels under the runway , assassination spot were all really interesting  .. the graves all around the town in the hills very sobering , the "monuments" to Serbian generals inside the Serb republic area of Sarajevo downright infuriating  

Think RyanAir fly direct there now so maybe more people will get to experience what it has to offer 

• Like 1

amsterdam has some nice, pictureque parts to it. ultimately it's fine for just a city break but if you're not smoking or getting laid you'll run out of stuff to do fairly quickly. overrated is probably harsh though as i don't really hear it being at the top of anyone's list for european cities

my 'overrated' pick is probably new york but i get the feeling it's somewhere you enjoy more the 2nd time as you will have done the shit touristy stuff the first time so when you go back you get to enjoy the city more. i'm going to also say bournemouth...i have no **** clue why we get the number of visitors we do (especially stag dos). there are plenty of other beaches in the UK...we are an island after all.

underrated...loved riga, beautiful city. edinburgh is wonderful too. special mention for cologne as well.

not been but seeing iran mentioned reminded me that i once heard that jordan (specifically amman) is apprarently quality

8 hours ago, Milfner said:

I'd throw Barcelona in there too.

i was going to say this but only spent a day there on a school trip when i was 17 so feel that's not enough time to judge. remember thinking it was shite though.

Overrated is another for Amsterdam

Underrated I will go the opposite of some posts but Venice. I went expecting a terrible place but went with a friend that studied there so saw the hidden spots and it was great and can still enjoy the sights. Just go the other way of the tourist crowd

• Like 1

On 20/05/2024 at 14:53, tonyh29 said:

Iran is amazing

Yeah, but how was the beer?

I had a ten-night business trip there in 2000, amazing perhaps not, but interesting definitely.

Amsterdam ... three nights there. Probably enough ... Van Gogh and Rembrandt museums. If I go again ... will try to catch the Spinoza museum and perhaps Van Gogh again.

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

Yeah, but how was the beer?

I had a ten-night business trip there in 2000, amazing perhaps not, but interesting definitely.

Amsterdam ... three nights there. Probably enough ... Van Gogh and Rembrandt museums. If I go again ... will try to catch the Spinoza museum and perhaps Van Gogh again.

I was offered heroin in a park in Shiraz but I don’t have a death wish so gave that a wide berth , we heard you could get a beer in the Armenian quarter in Esfahan but weren’t successful sadly , there is definitely drink there but I think you have to be established before people will trust you enough 

Close to home but I think London is an overrated pool of p155. f'ing hate it. If I never have to go there again it'd be too soon.

Not sure if it's underrated, but I have loved my times in Vienna.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Over rated - paris. Hate that place will never go back

Under rated - riga latvia i wasnt looking forward to going but what was a wonderful place

Id also add lisbon to the city. Great place

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

On 20/05/2024 at 19:37, Marka Ragnos said:

Where did you go and find the travel destination overrated?

Where did you go and find it underrated?

Top of my overrated list has to be Venice. It may just be my personality, but I found it ugly, uncomfortable, boring and the just way too touristy. It's been 25 years since I went there, so perhaps things have changed for the better, but I can't even remember why I bothered to go. It was so underwhelming.

The most underrated for me has to be upcountry in the southwest of Tanzania, towards Mbeya. It's hilly and green and feels so distant from all my usual reference points, but it has a human warmth, too, that has stayed with me. Never knew a thing about it until I went, and I've never met a single person besides my wife who has been.

I'm not a big fan of Italy at all to be honest.  Pisa is the worst place I've visited, just a really shit holiday.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Over rated - paris. Hate that place will never go back

Under rated - riga latvia i wasnt looking forward to going but what was a wonderful place

Id also add lisbon to the city. Great place

Agreed. Went to Lisbon last year. Really liked it and good value for a European capital.. 

Delhi I felt was slightly overrated but I was hampered by the fact the time I was there it was covered in toxic smog.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Overrated - Dubai / Paris.  Dubai just completely soulless, overly brash, full of dickheads (ex-pats rather than anything else) and car-dominated.  On the plus side, I felt incredibly safe.  Paris, far too expensive, people had no time for you, possibly felt far too familiar and made it less special.  Not sure, but didn't like it.

Underrated (or maybe just... rated?  But non-European) -  Mendoza in Argentina.  Something about this city is absolutely wonderful; and it's hard to put a finger on exactly what it is.  You're in wine country, the air seems 'fresh' and there's a really old-world European feel about the place.  After I'd visited, I said I'd happily retire there.

• Like 1

One of my lads is on his way to do some football training with Villarreal, he's stopped in Barcelona on the way. His WhatsApp review - 

spacer.png

I might have to have a word with him about his ambitions if he ever wants to become a travel writer.

Â