Football Rivalries

40 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Have you been to Blues away? And not in the secure coaches?

Not trying to be a smart arse but have you?

I have been to Blues away, actually.

A selection of violent incidents which have occurred surrounding Old Firm matches in the past few years:

A CELTIC supporter who repeatedly stabbed a Rangers fan in a "frightening and vicious attack" hours after an Old Firm match was yesterday jailed for four years.

Shaun Duffy, 30, knifed Brian Duncan in Glasgow's Springcroft Bar and Diner.

Duncan was left with serious spinal injuries and still suffers pain, months after the attack.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-fan-jailed-for-four-years-1026693

Three men have been taken to hospital in Glasgow after stabbings reportedly took place during a “horrific mass brawl” between Rangers and Celtic supporters in the city centre.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/glasgow-stabbing-fight-rangers-celtic-old-firm-police-a8848541.html

A thug who ambushed a man close to death following a Celtic and Rangers game has been jailed for five years and one month.

Kyle Beard, 27, brutally stabbed Celtic fan Francis McCann, 48, in the neck during a mass brawl in Glasgow's Merchant City on March 31, 2019.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-thug-who-brutally-stabbed-25724644

A stash of weapons have been found by police following a brawl at Glasgow Green ahead of the Old Firm.

It's understood officers made the discovery after scrambling to the clash in the Gallowgate area of the city on Saturday night. Dozens of cops raced to Bell Street as they locked down the area at around 8.40pm.

The rammy - believed to have been between Rangers and Celtic fans - erupted the night before the teams played out a fiery 3-3 draw.

It’s understood the force were alerted over concerns that rival fans could become embroiled in pre-match violence ahead of the derby showdown at Ibrox.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsscotland/weapon-haul-found-at-old-firm-brawl-amid-glasgow-green-rammy-probe/ar-BB1lfFbt

The hatred between Villa and Blues is underappreciated by many outside of the Midlands, but its nothing like the Old Firm

• Like 2

3 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Yep, the old firm goes beyond football in to politics, obviously in to religion, in to monarchism, in to British in to Irish - in to secretarianism and in to culture 

If you think it's the same as picking which english team you support then I'm not sure you get the divide up there, there's no city in England like Glasgow either 

There's nothing like it in English football, not even close 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bielesibub said:

I lived up in Leeds for a year, I thoroughly loved my time there - even considered relocating, brilliant city, brilliant people, Leeds FC though can do one.

Yep. This. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, the old firm goes beyond football in to politics, obviously in to religion, in to monarchism, in to British in to Irish - in to secretarianism and in to culture 

If you think it's the same as picking which english team you support then I'm not sure you get the divide up there, there's no city in England like Glasgow either 

i think for a lot of people from the outside looking in, it's hard to imagine a game played minimum 4 times every single season (often more) can still maintain that level of hostility, probably because we don't have an equivilant example as the most hostile english derbys haven't had a sustained number of seasons in the same division. the ones involving the scum 6 have lost their ferocity over the years mainly due to the respective fanbases becoming more 'touristy' as they've grown in size.

i'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just trying to give a reason as to why it's not seen by those south of the border as less hostile than the likes of villa v blues. coupled with the fact that so few of us pay attention to the SPL of course.

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Absolutely correct V4E. 

I have been witness to a few derby rivalries over the years, firstly SHA v Villa through the 70's and 80's, then, Exeter v Plymouth through the 90's. During these times I also spent time in Scotland when I started watching Hibs and of course their rivalry with Hearts. However nothing compares to the Celtic v Rangers rivalry because as you say it goes beyond football and certainly moves into religion, politics, the monarchy and of course a free united Ireland / Northern Ireland.

When they play there will be as much trouble in Belfast as there is in Glasgow. Anybody generally walking along the Shankill or Falls Road are left under no illusion as to who supports which team........there are some murals to both sides and can only imagine the tension on game day along the " Peace Wall"

On a lighter note I can still see my future father in laws face when my future wife took me home to meet her parents. He and his work mates had been Small Heath fans all their lives and in I strolled with a Villa scarf on! 🤣

• Like 4

21 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Chester and Wrexham are not very nice to each other either.....

Being from Chester can confirm.

Last bubble fixture in the country.

On 17/05/2024 at 17:27, Zatman said:

Germany I think considers Italy the main football rival over Netherlands

Nope. It's definitely Holland. And having lived there for a while and going to Boca games on a regular basis, I can say for sure Argentina consider England as their biggest rival. Not Brazil. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Nope. It's definitely Holland. And having lived there for a while and going to Boca games on a regular basis, I can say for sure Argentina consider England as their biggest rival. Not Brazil. 

Surely not?  Argentina vs Brazil is horrible - they hate each other.  I understand that Argentina also dislike England, but it just can't be on the same level.  Didn't it all kick off during the last Argentina/Brazil game?

Agreed on the Old Firm being top.  The rest... I think everyone views their own derby as "the best/biggest".  I can't remember who was on this particular episode of the Fozcast (think it was?) but they said the West Brom/Wolves game was far more intense than they expected and was right up there.  Also Brad Friedel mentioned that Burnley vs Blackburn was similar.  I'd probably also change Man Utd vs Man City to Man Utd vs Leeds - it's far more spicy.

I reckon there's some proper nasty league lower derbies missing from there too.  For example, Mansfield vs Chesterfield is horrible - underpinned by mining strike action/non-action.

...and, purely having lived there, the Steel City derby should be up near us.  Whole city is tense, it's - again - a pretty horrible derby game.

Edited by bobzy

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Surely not?  Argentina vs Brazil is horrible - they hate each other.  I understand that Argentina also dislike England, but it just can't be on the same level.  Didn't it all kick off during the last Argentina/Brazil game?

Yep. They hate England  in football terms and they have not forgotten the Falklands.

If you ask Argentinians which team they most want to beat, the majority will say England.

• Thanks 1

My old boss was a football fanatic.  You name a big derby anywhere in the world and he'd been to it. 

He always said he'd not been anywhere that came even close to Celtic v Rangers. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

My old boss was a football fanatic.  You name a big derby anywhere in the world and he'd been to it. 

He always said he'd not been anywhere that came even close to Celtic v Rangers. 

I guess it depends on the game you go to.  I was at Villa v Blues 2003 and it was carnage that was Monday night and the Saturday after went to Celtic v Rangers.  Was a walk in the park in comparison.

Not saying that is always the same just my little experience of the 2.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

I guess it depends on the game you go to.  I was at Villa v Blues 2003 and it was carnage that was Monday night and the Saturday after went to Celtic v Rangers.  Was a walk in the park in comparison.

2002/03 was a massive failure by the authorities in allowing both games to be played at night. First one was bad and still allowed the return game at night

Unless a cup game Celtic vs Rangers is nearly always a midday/1pm kick off

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2002/03 was a massive failure by the authorities in allowing both games to be played at night. First one was bad and still allowed the return game at night

Unless a cup game Celtic vs Rangers is nearly always a midday/1pm kick off

No doubt early kick offs help after the game was talking to a fan walking through some graveyard said that was where people were often stabbed back in the day!

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Ive been to most big derbies in the world and Blues v Villa as an away fan was the worst experience Ive ever had at a football match. The walk back to the city centre was carnage with a LOT of violence from their lot. England v Russia in Marseille at Euro 2016 was also terrifying.

The next derby that was really full on was Boca v River Plate, which I attended at both grounds. The game at Boca kicked off outside and missiles were being thrown into the away end. (Not condiments either, like our Polish friends)

Flamengo v Vasco Da Gama was similarly violent with riot police drafted in from all around the region to deal with chaos.

Zagreb v Hajduk Split was also madness.

Celtic v Rangers has a reputation steeped in the past and basically down to religion. I absolutely would not count the 2024 version of the Old Firrm as the worst derby. 

Edited by GlobalVillan

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ive been to most big derbies in the world and Blues v Villa as an away fan was the worst experience Ive ever had at a football match. The walk back to the city centre was carnage with a LOT of violence from their lot. England v Russia in Marseille at Euro 2016 was also terrifying.

The next derby that was really full on was Boca v River Plate, which I attended at both grounds. The game at Boca kicked off outside and missiles were being thrown into the away end. (Not condiments either, like our Polish friends)

Flamengo v Vasco Da Gama was similarly violent with riot police drafted in from all around the region to deal with chaos.

Zagreb v Hajduk Split was also madness.

Celtic v Rangers has a reputation steeped in the past and basically down to religion. I absolutely would not count the 2024 version of the Old Firrm as the worst derby. 

I had the flying missiles at Lazio v Roma that was fun was with a lovely young Andalucian lady at the game which was nice!

She took me to a couple of Seville games at the Sanchez Pizjuan which was lovely too.

Oh how I miss being young 😜 

Edited by S-Platt

31 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

They’ve got no away fans at the moment - it’ll be huge when they return. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Being from Chester can confirm.

Last bubble fixture in the country.

I knew a Villa fan from Chester years ago his name was Phil. I think talking probably 30 plus years ago.

Edited by Follyfoot

Â