Ratings & Reactions: Olympiacos v Villa

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

A soft goal ruled out in the first leg was the key moment over two legs.

It's disappointing to go out to an inferior team like that but it's experience for Villa in Europe, it looks like this is only the beginning.

Fully expect Olympiacos to be found out in the final.

Can't really be too critical of Villa with all the injuries and bad luck from poor refereeing decisions.

7 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

We deserved to lose the tie, well done to Olympiacos deserved winners. I thought just because of his effort and never giving up attitude my MOM is Cash, he really put in a shift when others didn't. The manager did what he could with what was available, I cannot see what else he could have done. And finally the ref was fine.

I have really enjoyed our European campaign this season, and I hope it is the first of many going forward. We have learned so much, I can only see this as a massive positive as the club goes forward. Well done to the squad and management, you gave us some great moments, and nearly got to the final. 

Agreed amd I think that the bigger picture now is to push on next season, the new board members/partnerships amd of course CL cash will allow us to build a bigger better squad to compete in multiple competitions going forwards a trophy this season would have been a nice bonus but we’re on the right road amd heading in the right direction, it wasn’t long ago that we were almost bankrupt and less than that we were spiriling downward with a terrible manager and playing useless pointless football until Nas stepped in and bye bye scouser Hola Unai amd the world is a better place again and relegation is for our pals from Small Heath soccerball club, have you heard they’re spending billions and building the best and biggest soccerball stadium  in the world which will be bigger and newer than anything the Villaball roster, will ever have. Thy are also gonna get a corner and a throw in before he first add break of the new season, they’ve already booked an open top bus to tour around town to celebrate! No vilers allowed!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂mate. 

• Haha 1

Frustrating and weird thing is, if we were to play them again I would be more confident of beating them than I was before the actual games that we did play, despite them beating us 6-2, because they weren't great either, they looked like a lower midtable Premier League team, if we'd have played anyhwere near as well as we can do then we would have won both ties comfortably

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Agreed amd I think that the bigger picture now is to push on next season, the new board members/partnerships amd of course CL cash will allow us to build a bigger better squad to compete in multiple competitions going forwards a trophy this season would have been a nice bonus but we’re on the right road amd heading in the right direction, it wasn’t long ago that we were almost bankrupt and less than that we were spiriling downward with a terrible manager and playing useless pointless football until Nas stepped in and bye bye scouser Hola Unai amd the world is a better place again and relegation is for our pals from Small Heath soccerball club, have you heard they’re spending billions and building the best and biggest soccerball stadium  in the world which will be bigger and newer than anything the Villaball roster, will ever have. Thy are also gonna get a corner and a throw in before he first add break of the new season, they’ve already booked an open top bus to tour around town to celebrate! No vilers allowed!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂mate. 

Hope you right mate but I have seen a lot of nearly moments at Villa down the years.

To quote Hunter S. Thompson I hope in less than five years this isn't the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Cut the tiredness exuse going over the top. We couldn't even string a pass , a cross or create a few chances or do the basics. We're was the aggression,  intensity or the fire. Team lacks leadership bigtime.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah cos let's just ignore the insane injury list we have and the fact we're fighting for a 4th place in the Premier League. 

Agree

Edited by smg
  • Like 1

I don't want to get too down with it being our best run in Europe for 42 years but boy this was such a chance to win a trophy, but there is nothing left in the side we are out of gas.

File under missed opportunities, which is quite a thick folder in our history.

• Like 2

Very very deflated after that. A real poor showing in the second half and now our entire season hinges ultimately on the spurs v city game on Tuesday. I can’t see anything other than sound beatings for us in our final two games. Full of admiration for what the players have done this season and I’m not slagging them off at all, but they’re done. It’s over. 

21 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Cut the tiredness exuse going over the top. We couldn't even string a pass , a cross or create a few chances or do the basics. We're was the aggression,  intensity or the fire. Team lacks leadership bigtime.

So you don't think the players look tired or something? 

Do you not think the injuries are playing a huge part in our recent slump in form?

Genuinely curious. 

• Like 1

I dont think the best team won over two legs. 

The first leg saw two horrendous decisions that contributed to the scoreline in their favour,  and a penalty miss from Luiz. It could easily have ended with us losing by one, drawing or even winning by one. But somehow we lost by two. 

The game tonight was a direct result of those decisions and misfortunes, with an Olympiakos that had no need to leave their half. 

You then look at tonight's game and we just lacked the cutting edge but lost two goals due to the attacking way we were playing as a result of the aggregate scoreline. We then had no subs available with which to change the impending outcome. 

Whatever. We should be proud of the team, they did everything they could but ultimately injury and bad luck played their part.

And what I love about this team is that they will never accept bad luck.  They'll feel they could have done better. And they will work to do better next time.

The belief and desire Emery has instilled in this club will help us for decades. Let's reward him with some silverware next year boys. And let's get that 4th spot.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So you don't think the players look tired or something? 

Do you not think the injuries are playing a huge part in our recent slump in form?

Genuinely curious. 

Pretty much this. Our bench tonight was shocking, was 2 senior players and one was a keeper

End of day best team won over 2 legs. With our full squad we beat them with ease.

Funny enough our last surviving players were our defenders and they scored 6 past us

I know we are out on our feet, we've had cruel luck with injuries, but the overriding feeling i still have is embarrassment.

Our first european semi final in decades and we've been battered 6-2 on aggregate.

In truth, we've been shit most of this competition. I think there's quite a few of our regulars who seem to have struggled to get to grips with european football.

I'll calm down tomorrow, but atm i'm really disappointed in what they've served up over these last two games. 

• Like 1

Â