May 2024 Local Elections

Jareth

Gonna get messy, he doesn't live in Birmingham apparently,  lives in Barnt green Worcestershire. Has an address in Birmingham but his neighbours have never seen him. 

41 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I think he lost a lot of credibility when he didn’t resign his Tory membership over HS2. If he’d have done that even I might have voted for him.

This 100%. He might be a nice bloke but if he had any backbone he should have quit the party there and then. It was a uphill battle in getting re-elected anyway.  Yakoob was very nearly the spolier though, getting over 40,000 votes in Birmingham alone. The turnout is again disappointing at less than 30% , and less than the election in 2021. So Parker has got a 37.8% mandate on a turnout of less  than 1 in 3 people bothering to turn up and vote.

Posted (edited)

I just liked the fact Andy Street didn't charge us for his work

Seemed to be doing a decent job from my perspective, but then I'm not sure where the remit of the Mayor ends and theres plenty of shit to sort out.

Not sure it needs to be taken as a sign labour are winning the next election, that was already a forgone conclusion.  Let's hope being Labour brings more advantages than having been Andy Street would have.

Edited by MrBlack

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

Gonna get messy, he doesn't live in Birmingham apparently,  lives in Barnt green Worcestershire. Has an address in Birmingham but his neighbours have never seen him. 

Big Ron resides there so that is fine by me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So the Tory expectation management all day yesterday was to keep saying that they've likely performed better than expected in the London and West Midlands mayoral elections (despite not a single vote having been counted) and that they should be judged on what those results are rather than the council losses.

Just to not only win neither, but perform worse than in 2021 on both contests. Genius.

And we haven't even gotten to the fun part about how Sunak's "autumn relaunch" had zero effect in changing Tory fortunes in general but almost certainly cost them this West Midlands contest. Whoops.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

It has been a predictable utter shit show for the Conservatives and Labour have further consolidated their position up and down the country. The Lib Dems are continuing to recover from their mid 2010s hammering and could take several seats down south from the Tories. And the greens could well take a few seats in the general election now.  We will just have to wait another four months until the conservatives put everyone out of their misery and call an election. It seems the Tories cant even be bothered to try and get rid of Sunak, they have accepted their fate for a total hammering in the fall.

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It has been a predictable utter shit show for the Conservatives and Labour have further consolidated their position up and down the country. The Lib Dems are continuing to recover from their mid 2010s hammering and could take several seats down south from the Tories. And the greens could well take a few seats in the general election now.  We will just have to wait another four months until the conservatives put everyone out of their misery and call an election. It seems the Tories cant even be bothered to try and get rid of Sunak, they have accepted their fate for a total hammering in the fall.

No point replacing him. They'll lose whoever is in. Far better to give someone a clean slate.

I'm sure you're supposed to get more pro tory as you got older, but I'm sure I'm finding them more repugnant by the week.

Not that I like Labour either.

Politics is shit. But thankfully so are SHA so what a glorious day! 🤣

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If she had any shame, I guess she’d have resigned years ago.

How can there be no votes counted, but the race also much closer?

I guess it must have been neck and neck at 0 votes each.

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

No point replacing him

The real danger that no one has dared mention in the media today is that if they replace him, they'll likely need another leader again after the election. The supposed replacement of Mordaunt isn’t going to win Portsmouth North at the General Election

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If she had any shame, I guess she’d have resigned years ago.

You can see the exact moment the ghost of the Tory party sucked the last of her life force through her arse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, bickster said:

The real danger that no one has dared mention in the media today is that if they replace him, they'll likely need another leader again after the election. The supposed replacement of Mordaunt isn’t going to win Portsmouth North at the General Election

There's a universe where a high profile Midlands-based Tory who has just lost a mayoral contest decides he wants to become an MP, is offered the Tory vacancy within a certain West Midlands safe seat, and it snowballs from there as he ends up being one of the only Tories with any experience of leadership left after they're annihillated by 2025.

Would never happen. Definitely would be something though. Saying that. Street becoming PM might be a joke but Sky did actually briefly discuss earlier about whether Street could end up going down that route and grabbing a seat like Solihull.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I just liked the fact Andy Street didn't charge us for his work

Seemed to be doing a decent job from my perspective, but then I'm not sure where the remit of the Mayor ends and theres plenty of shit to sort out.

Not sure it needs to be taken as a sign labour are winning the next election, that was already a forgone conclusion.  Let's hope being Labour brings more advantages than having been Andy Street would have.

This is a fair point, you can be good despite your party. 

Unfortunately for the good MPs or associate positions being part of the Tory party is poison. 

On a separate note I could probably argue good things being done are against standard Tory values not that the Tory party stands for anything any more.

11 hours ago, tinker said:

Who? 

Braverman doubling down on these results all being down to them not being right wing enough. The issues being their voters not turning out because they don't believe the tax breaks were big enough, the Rwanda flights not serious enough and not leaving the Human Rights Convention. 

She really thinks lurching more to the right is going to save them. 

She's positioning herself to be the next leader for the remaining band of nut jobs. 

Kueensberg asked her for evidence which was explained as being that people didn't turn up to vote. 

She wasn't asked about to explain the swing. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Can't stand Burnham. Awful shouty annoying bloke.

Not a huge fan of Street either, but I found him less aggravating in general.

From my postion with Burnham I see someone who seems to be passionate about doing the best he can for the people of Manchester

With Street he seems the classic politician looking after himself / own interests.

Street was on the local news a few months ago with his hard hat and high vis on at the construction of a new train station. Doing his usual thing of saying how great it’ll be, then said “if the people vote for me at the next election I’ll make sure it gets finished”. I just thought “what a prick.”.

Edited by Genie

Separating the party from the individual does make for some tricky decisions.

My Tory MP is one of the 2019 intake that shattered the red wall. When it comes to his voting record I absolutely can't stand the bloke, I don't think he's rebelled once in the last 5 years.Yet he's by far the most attentive, responsive and present constituency MP I've ever had as the Labour lot just took the seat for granted.

Â