Conference League Quarter Final Draw

1 hour ago, Ceemo said:

Tough, tough draws. Home in the first leg not ideal either.

Lille are a good side and are very good defensively with a excellent striker in Jonathan David. Tricky wingers in Zhegrova and Haraldsson. They face the same issues as us in that they are in 4th at the moment and are chasing Champions League football. They have two key games playing Marseille and Monaco around both legs which is good for us.

Time to get revenge for the Intertoto Cup defeat in 2002.

Just been looking at their squad, I don't think we need to worry about Haraldsson... 

Screenshot_20240315_134342.jpg.13d410f1afa0c10d150e6b3f4e526419.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

11th April home leg

18th April away leg

On the plus side we are at home on the Sunday to Bournemouth after the away leg, Travelling away to Arsenal wouldn't have been good preparation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Tough draw that. Will Konsa be back for the quarter? When is Kamara due back?

not really being paying attention with the injuries have you?
Kamara is out for the season, ACL 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Tough draw that. Will Konsa be back for the quarter? When is Kamara due back?

Only if the conference league does a league cup in its first year by having the final in September the following season.

It's a tricky draw. Jonathan David probably the best CF we'll play in the competition and Angel Gomes is someone who left Man. United and seems to be doing well in their midfield. Then have experienced old prem players like Vito Mannone, Bentaleb and Remy Cabella.

I actually thought they could get to the final if they'd stayed on the other side of the draw so be under no illusions this will be a far harder task than Ajax as Lille are more Europa league standard. Second leg away aswell so we'll need a lead from the VP game.

Plus side is it's very easy to get to IF Eurostar is actually running and should get a bigger allocation than for Ajax.

Can remember playing them in the Intertoto and losing years back when they were starting to become a regular top 6 French club.

One interesting thing here. I didn't even realise West Ham were playing at 5.45pm last night until I was looking online at 7pm. English clubs rarely play that slot when at home so was wondering why they had to play it and if we might have to play that slot if say we and West Ham get to the SF?

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

I reckon so, yes.

Fiorentina before the final would be very tough aswell so at least avoided them and no guarantee they'll make the final on other side.

Far harder path than what West Ham had getting to the final last season, they just about squeezed past Alkmaar in the SFs and  they played AEK Larnaca and Gent in the other two rounds.

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Looks like Lille are going about as well as we are in the league so should be a good matchup, shame we’re at home first leg though slightly less of an issue with the removal of the away goal rule.

Didnt we play (and beat) Lille in the intertwobob cup years ago?

That was Rennes. In the 2001 Intertoto we beat St Gallen, Rennes and Basle to make Uefa Cup. And then in true Villa fashion lost to a Croatian team called Varteks in the first round which made it all feel a complete waste of time.

2002 we beat someone first round then got a 1-1 in Lille but lost 2-0 at VP and that pretty much set the tone for a very poor 2002-03 season under SGT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Plus side is it's very easy to get to IF Eurostar is actually running and should get a bigger allocation than for Ajax.

What makes you think we’ll get a bigger allocation? Standard allocation seems to be 5% of the capacity and Lille’s ground is over 5000 less than Ajax.

20 minutes ago, Cridontour said:

What makes you think we’ll get a bigger allocation? Standard allocation seems to be 5% of the capacity and Lille’s ground is over 5000 less than Ajax.

Do Lille regularly sell out? When we played them years back the attendance was 14k. Since then they moved to a huge new ground so I just assumed Lens were the more followed team in that part of the World and the French league isn't like the Budesliga where even lower half teams pull in 40-50k.

Just having a look and they tend to float between 38-40k for majority of games which surprised me. Pulled in 47k v PSG so guess it will be the same for us.

Edited by VillaChris