One thing about UE and this team is that they usually bounce back from a defeat. 

I’m hopeful rather than confident. 

I think you’ll see a very focused McGinn today after the red at the weekend. I hope we go strong to win this one. 

Emi

Cash Lenglet Pau Digne

McGinn Luiz

Bailey Tielemans Rodgers 

Ollie

This is our first proper genuine European tie at Villa Park for over 15 years when we drew with CSKA Moscow. A lot has happened then with stagnation, relegation, near administration, promotion, stability, and finally back to where we were a decade and a half ago. It has been some journey so we should try to appreciate tonight.

We should play to the current players of Ajax, not the storied history of the club. A few linkages between the clubs. Cruyff's last game in England was at Villa Park with Barcelona in the Uefa cup. And arguably the entire philosophy of total football was started by the great coach Jimmy Hogan who coached Villa just before the outbreak of the Second World War. He influenced Rinus Michels who then managed Ajax and the Netherlands.

I just hope we can put in a positive performance and do the business tonight.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think the players owe the fans here. There has been a lot of poor home performances in “big games” forming a current streak. I think Unai has more to do in getting this team to respond than in tactics. 

Not sure how you coach against “don’t come out asleep for the first five minutes of the half” and “don’t make square passes on the press” over and over again but it’s gotta be done. 

Think Ty should go into locker room and light them up. 

• Like 3

I have just noticed that Wet Spam are playing tonight at home but 0-1 down from the first leg. Let's hope their game is a full blooded end to end match and goes to extra time. Don't care about the result as long as they are knackered and pick up some injuries.

And we win 9 - 0 in normal time

• Like 4

There are times when we need to be careful and control the match and there are times when we need to start this one flying off the block. 

Unai needs to trust these players and give them belief instead of trying to outthink them. We're a better XI almost all over the pitch even with injuries and suspensions.

Just have to plan to attack the Holte and get off to a fast start instead of trying to bait the press. They're not coming for us deep - we have to go to them.

44 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

At some point, hype videos have to lead to real work.

I predict a nervy crowd. I hope the team gives them something to cheer for early to set a stage.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

I have just noticed that Wet Spam are playing tonight at home but 0-1 down from the first leg. Let's hope their game is a full blooded end to end match and goes to extra time. Don't care about the result as long as they are knackered and pick up some injuries.

And we win 9 - 0 in normal time

Agree with everything apart from the West Ham result. We need them to win to mean that 5th is more likely to go to the Champions League spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

In terms of our Champions league hopes, there's an argument that West Ham winning tonight is more important to us than if we beat them at the weekend.

Coefficients make for strange, strange days.

• Like 2

I just hope we come steaming out the blocks from the 1st minute tonight. 

None of this slow build up play, I get we want to recycle the ball and not give it away cheaply, but we need to see a display to get the crowd going, get the confidence back into the players and make a statement. 

4-1 Villa tonight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's usually restricting access on witton lane as that is where the away fans are. Like they used to do when we played Blues.

Can't they just keep the away fans in the ground for 15 minutes after the game, perhaps offer them a discounted "Follyfoot" battered sausage as a form of recompense?:D I can't see there would be trouble before the game, particularly with a number of police being around the ground and hopefully their fans actually having tickets for the game.    

• Haha 2

I'm very much expecting a replay of the first leg, as there's too much at stake for either side to go gungho.

I suspect Ajax will sit back and rely on Brobbey breaking through Villa's high backline.

Villa will need to produce some better quality or better luck to get the job done.

We might need a talisman and so I hope Phil King is invited.