Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

3 at the back isn't always bad - it can be useful in some situations, otherwise nobody would ever use it. Think Unai's plan was to soak up the Spurs pressure and hit them on the break, which tbf did almost work at times. Obviously it didn't work in the end but there was definitely logic in it, especially given that the onus was on them to get the win and not us.

3 at the back is generally our preferred system. The RB usually drops in as a 3rd CB and the LB plays higher up. The issue was it wasn’t that. It was a 5. 

Size is no excuse, Liverpool's midfield doesn't strike me as big, but they bossed Citeh in the second - half today. We allowed Spurs to grasp the initiative, and not for the first time this season, I really don't get why we can be so passive in certain games.

We showed what we're capable of against two of the best sides in the league, so obviously, consistency is the big issue with this team right now. 

Emery should have been more positive in his tactics today, Spurs sensed negativity and took full advantage. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Disasterclass. By far the worse we’ve played under Unai. Philosophy, mentality completely out the window. 

Of the damning stats here. 

10+ passing sequences: 2 vs 31. And that’s not because of just the red card. 

Play like a bottom half side and you’ll get results like a bottom half side. 

• Like 1

Just now, Herman22 said:

The more I see of the McGinn red card the more it’s clear the ref has been influenced by the spurs players and the bench. He clearly going to give a yellow card but then starts talking to someone and changes his mind. 

We have some of the worst and weakest refs in the world. As soon as any pressure came on he folded! And we all know the next steps. All his mates, the former refs who are paid by TV channels to say nothing will say he was right. A lovely protection racket they have set up. 

It was a reckless challenge, the fact some think it only deserved a yellow is neither here or there. He should have known better, and you could see from his expression going off that he had messed up big time.

We got what we deserved, not a jot.

2 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

The more I see of the McGinn red card the more it’s clear the ref has been influenced by the spurs players and the bench. He clearly going to give a yellow card but then starts talking to someone and changes his mind. 

We have some of the worst and weakest refs in the world. As soon as any pressure came on he folded! And we all know the next steps. All his mates, the former refs who are paid by TV channels to say nothing will say he was right. A lovely protection racket they have set up. 

Complete and utter nonsense. After any Villa defeat the conspiracy theorists come out on here to spin their rubbish.

It’s either that or a massive chip on the shoulder blaming the ref for a poor performance by the players!

I've watched the McGinn tackle and it gets worse with every viewing. The only positive I can say about it is that Roy Keane would be proud of it. McGinn lost the head completely as he and the rest of the team were being dominated in such an important game.

If any of the Spurs players had tackled McGinn like that those on here denying it was a red would be screaming for the Spurs player to be shown the guillotine!

Get real people and grow up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't agree that playing with the 3/5 at the back was/is some kind of ultra-defensive tactic.  Spurs have, all season, pressed goal-kicks with a line of three players across the width of the box (thereby creating a 3v3 situation with the opposing 2cbs and gk).  Having the extra man in there allowed us a better chance of beating that press.  And it happened a few times early on in this match, to the point that they actually sat off us a few times later in the half, after we had played in behind them from two such moments.  It also gave more freedom to both Pau and Konsa to push into midfield, which Pau was doing more and more as the half wore on.

I believe that had Mings not had the season-ending injury we would have seen this way of playing far more often this season.

We/Unai are punching way above our weight by still being where we are with 10 games to go.  Bentancur, who comes off the bench for Spurs, cost more money than our entire midfield put together.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FLVillan said:

I don't agree that playing with the 3/5 at the back was/is some kind of ultra-defensive tactic.  Spurs have, all season, pressed goal-kicks with a line of three players across the width of the box (thereby creating a 3v3 situation with the opposing 2cbs and gk).  Having the extra man in there allowed us a better chance of beating that press.  And it happened a few times early on in this match, to the point that they actually sat off us a few times later in the half, after we had played in behind them from two such moments.  It also gave more freedom to both Pau and Konsa to push into midfield, which Pau was doing more and more as the half wore on.

I believe that had Mings not had the season-ending injury we would have seen this way of playing far more often this season.

We/Unai are punching way above our weight by still being where we are with 10 games to go.  Bentancur, who comes off the bench for Spurs, cost more money than our entire midfield put together.  

But when we built out from the back, we played in a normal 442 build up with Lenglet at RCB and Pau at LCB but now we had Cash at RM and Bailey at second striker where they’re both ineffective. 

Advantages nullified. 

Just now, striker said:

Complete and utter nonsense. After any Villa defeat the conspiracy theorists come out on here to spin their rubbish.

It’s either that or a massive chip on the shoulder blaming the ref for a poor performance by the players!

I've watched the McGinn tackle and it gets worse with every viewing. The only positive I can say about it is that Roy Keane would be proud of it. McGinn lost the head completely as he and the rest of the team were being dominated in such an important game.

If any of the Spurs players had tackled McGinn like that those on here denying it was a red would be screaming for the Spurs player to be shown the guillotine!

Get real people and grow up!

Keane would have been gutted that the opponent never got carried off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Losing McGinn for 3 games isn't ideal. Someone will need to step up.

We can concentrate on conference league now

Fwiw I thought Tim Played very well when he came on and we are going to need him in the run in especially in the next 3-4 games. Mcginn stitched us up but like kamara did against Brentford with a very silly sending off. I did also actually think it was only a yellow card foul as ugly as it looked. The dramatics from spurs got that upgraded to a red 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Exactly. It came just after he'd busted a gut to lay on, what looked like, a great chance for Zaniolo at the near post. Didn't get to see a re-run of it as the red card took all the air time afterwards. But you can understand his frustration. I thought he was our best player today. The double bum-roll being the highlight of his performance.

21 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

It was amusing to see the player get up and chase after McGinn and then suddenly remember to put on the agony, to get the result the team wanted.

Its a cynical old game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think some are being incredibly naive to think we can just start with a front five of Luiz, TIelemans, McGinn, DIaby, Bailey, and Watkins, against Tottenham

Errr that’s six 😜

50 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

And if a manager dares to criticise them in any way, it's a touchline ban and a fine.

How are they ever going to improve if they aren't even allowed to be criticised?

• Like 1

I thought spurs looked stronger quicker and more incisive than us today and the right team won.

I'm not too bothered about the change in system, I'm glad we have a manager capable of changing his system and tbf it works most of the time.

Watkins looked a broken man today, right from the first challenge; both central defenders had him so well covered that he seemed to overthink everything he did. Sods law that as soon as one went off that could have freed him up they scored and the game completely changed.

I loved seeing mcginn go into rage mode, on another day that could have inspired the team to put up a bit of a fight, but unfortunately bad timing may have cost us more than 3 points; at least he was up for the fight.

Congratulations to spurs they were the better side today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever we do… please do not play Tielemans further back or in a defensive role - he is a complete and utter liability there. Way too slow and loose in possession, easily dispossessed in defensive positions… makes costly errors…he must continue in an attacking role when he plays…

We are down to the barebones but we really don’t have much of a choice other than to stick Tim (who doesn’t really look ready or capable yet) alongside Dougie… unless someone like Pau could step in… or even… Chambers? 😬

I’m usually positive (and appreciative of all that Unai has done and continues to do) but… I’ll be (pleasantly and) very surprised if we do not struggle without McGinn (just as important to the side as big Emi)… a massive loss on top of all the injured players in some really important games now… we have to pick up points in the coming games to keep ourselves within sight of CL football and cannot allow a major drop off or decline in performances… I hope we have the fight and character in the side to do so…

I am… maybe for the first time… concerned about the team we can put out and how capable it will be… this was a bad day and a real setback… poor performance vs a competitor and loss of a crucial player…

If anyone can get these remaining players performing… it’s King Unai… I just feel sorry for him having to deal with such a depleted and light squad… that is a bit short on quality and esp form right now…

We’ve overcome adversity before… many times… can we do it this time?

Tim badly has to step up… we can’t afford to be all that patient with him now…

• Like 1

Martinez

Cash Konza  Torres  Digne

Chambers, Doguie 

Youri
Bailey.        JJ.             Diaby

Watkins

Edited by ben1505

Just now, ben1505 said:

Martinez

Cash Konza  Torres  Digne

Youri, Doguie 

Tim
Bailey.        JJ.             Diaby

Watkins

We may have a chance if we can put out 12 players…