Villa Park transport

OutByEaster?

The other night at the informal FAB meeting, the club introduced us to their new Traffic & Transport man, Andrew Watkin, a calm, pleasant, professional and peculiarly optimistic fellow about to embark on a near impossible job.

It got me to talking to @bickster about taxis around the ground and then to thinking about transport around Villa Park altogether. 

So, I'm interested in your thoughts on the various ways of getting to and from Villa Park and the ways in which you think it can be improved.

Your thoughts on:

• Walking - the pedestrian experience around Villa Park - whether you walk to Witton station, to a car park or all the way back to the City centre - what works, what's dangerous, what would help?
  • Trains - from Witton or Aston, heading into or out of town, the trains themselves, the stations, the queuing, the waiting, the experience, the cost - all of that stuff
  • Busses - how many, how often, how much, how full are they, how hard is it to get away from Aston in one, are they convenient, do they go where you want to get to, how many of you use them, how could the service be improved?
  • Taxis - how many of you get a cab, where from, how easy is it, how expensive, how practical, how could it be better?
  • Driving - how hard is it to park, how easy is it to get in/out, how many of you come in the car, why do you drive rather than use public transport, what would make it easier for drivers or make you want to leave the car at home?
  • Cycling - how many of you cycle, is it easy, do you take advantage of the clubs new storage in the inner city academy, do you feel safe. what would help?

And also on Aston - how you feel about paasing through, the way things are set up, local transport issues like that white Mercedes that parks on the double yellow lines in the bus stop outside the jewellers on Witton Road, the lighting in Aston Park, how Villa Park affects the people that live around it and what you'd do on matchdays to make things simpler for everyone.

Easy peasy and I'm sure if Andrew peeps in, he'll find all the answers he'll ever need - and if not, we'll take anything that needs to be raised back to the club.

I've included a map in case (like me) you like to moan about specific roads but can't remember what they're called.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 18.55.18.png

I drive for a number of reasons.

we used to have police at key points to traffic control, this aided massively to the traffic flow getting away from the ground, as an example an officer on the Lichfield Road.

Now I know that costs money but made a big difference in time it took to get away and stopped a lot of road rage from various motorists and buses.

If we can’t pay the police, then approved by the police public traffic control people maybe? I think this would aid the driving section of this question.  I’ve not really had trouble accessing parking.

• Like 3

For me, there are a few things I think would help.

First of those is a manned police presence on a couple of junctions - the big island at the top of Witton Road and the one between Upper Sutton Street and Victoria Road. The first of those is a main route in and out of the city centre from that side of the ground and a bit of a sticking point, the latter is a really small junction with lights that is also one of the biggest release points for traffic onto the A38 and motorways - it always seems to be jammed up - there are probably other equally key junctions that are a mess, but I'd like to see those sorted.

I'd also like to see if some of the roads could be made one-way or even closed off for a short period after games - for the sole purpose of allowing busses out - at the moment, if the club were to put on a shuttle bus, no one will want to use it if it takes twenty five minutes to get to Lichfield Road (where Aston station is) - that first mile around the ground is a mess.

I'd also like to see Trinity Road closed to all traffic down to the lights at Witton Road for thirty minutes or so after the final whistle to allow pedestrians to disperse - anyone who has walked that way will know that it's an uncomfortable mix of thousands of pedestrians walking down the middle of the road with the occasional impatient driver gently nudging their way through - I've seen many an argument and a kicked mirror and for me, the cars really should be waiting for a bit.

And finally, I'd love to see proper parking enforcement on matchdays and unfortunately, I mean for the locals as much as I do for Villa fans - the double parking, the parking on double yellows. the parking on pavements, they're are all things that create chaos - the club, I know, wants to be a good neighbour, but frankly a traffic warden or two and a couple of hundred tickets would go a long way.

• Like 4

You’ve opened a can of worms here @OutByEaster?

We drive and the traffic is horrendous and only seems to get worse year on year. Driving in from M6 we tend to park in area around Upper Sutton street. There is always a huge queue stretching back to M6 all along A38 and around the round about. This is nearly all caused by cars turning right at the traffic lights where Upper Sutton Street crosses Victoria Road. It means only 1 or 2 cars move in each set of lights and it clogs everything up for miles back. If you stopped people turning right for an hour or two on match days this huge queue of traffic would be magically resolved. And for people who need to turn right there are plenty of streets they can take further down the road.

Simple change - huge result exactly the kind of win Andrew has been brought in for. Been wondering why club doesn’t do something about this for years it’s so obvious. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, there are a few things I think would help.

First of those is a manned police presence on a couple of junctions - the big island at the top of Witton Road and the one between Upper Sutton Street and Victoria Road. The first of those is a main route in and out of the city centre from that side of the ground and a bit of a sticking point, the latter is a really small junction with lights that is also one of the biggest release points for traffic onto the A38 and motorways - it always seems to be jammed up - there are probably other equally key junctions that are a mess, but I'd like to see those sorted.

I'd also like to see if some of the roads could be made one-way or even closed off for a short period after games - for the sole purpose of allowing busses out - at the moment, if the club were to put on a shuttle bus, no one will want to use it if it takes twenty five minutes to get to Lichfield Road (where Aston station is) - that first mile around the ground is a mess.

I'd also like to see Trinity Road closed to all traffic down to the lights at Witton Road for thirty minutes or so after the final whistle to allow pedestrians to disperse - anyone who has walked that way will know that it's an uncomfortable mix of thousands of pedestrians walking down the middle of the road with the occasional impatient driver gently nudging their way through - I've seen many an argument and a kicked mirror and for me, the cars really should be waiting for a bit.

And finally, I'd love to see proper parking enforcement on matchdays and unfortunately, I mean for the locals as much as I do for Villa fans - the double parking, the parking on double yellows. the parking on pavements, they're are all things that create chaos - the club, I know, wants to be a good neighbour, but frankly a traffic warden or two and a couple of hundred tickets would go a long way.

You beat me by a whisker! 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villaglint said:

We drive and the traffic is horrendous and only seems to get worse year on year. Driving in from M6 we tend to park in area around Upper Sutton street. There is always a huge queue stretching back to M6 all along A38 and around the round about.

Absolutely the thing I was thinking about - there needs to be some management of that junction - I'm not sure stopping people turning right is necessarily it, but setting the lights so more of the people coming off the motorway can pass through is surely vital - it's one where I think making it one way for a short period wouldn't be a bad idea.

Is there a reason the buses can't line up on Witton Lane upto the island like the old days?

Personally I park miles away off Rocky Lane just easier to escape after games never understood the need to park close and sit in traffic.

Sometimes I will get the train but can never be arsed to que after the game so either walk back to New Street or get a lift with a mate that's driven who would also park miles away!

Seems they are allowing traffic down roads after games these days thinking of under the A38 to turn right past The Aston Tavern that never used to happen.  Causes chaos.

one of the things with the trains from both Witton and Aston is as easy as clicking your fingers to fix.

At match times the trains that are scheduled to pass through both stations and take fans away/back home.....

put more carriages on the trains !!!!

Bingo, everybody gets on the same train, job done.

• Like 2

These days I usually drive. I park on a road near the Barton Arms and walk around 20 minutes to the ground. 
It's worth it. Paying to park closer to the ground but then queue for an hour in traffic to get away from the ground seems mental to me. Last week after the newcastle game I walked back to my car, drove into Birmingham and dropped my friend off at the Mailbox, then drove back out past the ground to get home. When I was driving back past it I could see that the roads were STILL blocked up. Madness

If I get public transport then it's usually because I've been in Birmingham first. In which case I'll almost always get an uber these days from birmingham to the ground (or as close as they can get). Quicker, cheaper (if there's 3 or 4 of you), easier. No brainer. 
But obviously after the game there's no chance of getting a cab unless you walk away from the ground again

Getting to and from the ground is by far the worst part about seeing Villa. Games like tonight (Chelsea FA Cup) it's getting there and back that stops me from going. I just can't be arsed

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, imavillan said:

one of the things with the trains from both Witton and Aston is as easy as clicking your fingers to fix.

At match times the trains that are scheduled to pass through both stations and take fans away/back home.....

put more carriages on the trains !!!!

Bingo, everybody gets on the same train, job done.

Where do you get the carriages?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

you would need to get the train company and Network Rail to agree to additional carriages.

If additional carriages were done before its prob easier overall, but if not it would need assessing, platform length checks, capacity checks, timetable changes maybe (at least short notice), as well as sourcing the extra carriages as stock is ofc limited.

there are prob other things also tbh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

you would need to get the train company and Network Rail to agree to additional carriages.

If additional carriages were done before its prob easier overall, but if not it would need assessing, platform length checks, capacity checks, timetable changes maybe (at least short notice), as well as sourcing the extra carriages as stock is ofc limited.

there are prob other things also tbh.

Where would they get the carriages?

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Where would they get the carriages?

the carriages would be a regional or national stock, attributed to the sets nationally or regionally, in theory, if the had agreement to increase carriages, they would have to source them from the regional/national carriage stock, so it depends if they run with spare capacity, or would need to reduce in one place, to increase in others, depends on how they work.

The train and the carriages are the train company, so they would know if they could do it or not, or with lead time, they might be able to plan for it in X months.

timetables and plans are generally planned a year or so out, so it might take some lead time to agree it, but in theory, its feasible if agreed by all parties, as long as all the safety/performance validation is done, and it passes it all etc.

Edited by MaVilla

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They are there, they have them.

Have you ever been on the cross city line during the day when a train rocks into New Street with about 10 carriages and about 20 people get on!!!

It happens quite regular, except, it seems on match days. So the carriages are there, in my mind it's just a case of allocation and timing.

Edited by imavillan

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

They are there, they have them.

Have you ever been on the cross city line during the day when a train rocks into New Street with about 10 carriages and about 20 people get on!!!

It happens quite regular, except, it seems on match days. So the carriages are there, in my mind it's just a case of allocation and timing.

Are they though?

BAsically what I'm getting at is it isn't as easy as "clicking your fingers". Carriages aren't just lying around waiting for people to use. I imagine they're actually in very short supply (but I'm guessing)

I imagine @The_Rev could shed some light on it

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

timetables and plans are generally planned a year or so out, so it might take some lead time to agree it, but in theory, its feasible if agreed by all parties, as long as all the safety/performance validation is done, and it passes it all etc.

Trouble is Premier League fixtures are not set in stone like train timetables.  Fixtures moved to accommodate TV and Europe.

Also how big are the platforms for more carriages would 10 carriages fit at Witton and Aston?

I agree with the idea though where there is a will there is a way.

9 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Trouble is Premier League fixtures are not set in stone like train timetables.  Fixtures moved to accommodate TV and Europe.

Also how big are the platforms for more carriages would 10 carriages fit at Witton and Aston?

I agree with the idea though where there is a will there is a way.

thats a good point re not set in stone, that would cause issues i guess, i would say its "possible", but as you imply, "possible" isnt the same as "practical", or even "viable".

i guess the only way to know would be for someone to liaise with the train company and see what they got back.

i dont know the train/carriage lengths, or the platform length, so i couldnt say, but they would know if it fit, or what would fit as it would all have been assessed historically.

Edited by MaVilla

Â